Thursday, January 07, 2010

Use spices in cooking, reduce the salt!

Food blogging has really put me into more learning and experimenting with ingredients, seasonings and food. In the journey of cooking, I have enjoyed using local and seasonal ingredients, gone natural and organic quite selectively, used simple and the correct cooking techniques. In seasoning and spicing up my food, I am glad to be using more spices and seasonings, than I used to know. Last time, the only seasonings that can be found in my pantry are salt and pepper. Now I have an array of herbs such as dried basil, oregano and rosemary; and spices such as cumin, fennel, coriander, turmeric and red chili pepper flakes. I am trying to use more spices to season the food that I cook; and reduce the salt and bottled sauces (equals to sodium). For example, instead of using the usual quantity of salt, I now pinch the salt (really a pinch) and use spices such as freshly ground black pepper, white pepper and cumin to season my stir-fries, soups and salads, if I have to. Of course, I am still using very basic spices. But I hope one day, I could stock up on more exotic spices and herbs such as spanish paprika and hibiscus leaves. Penderys has really opened my world on spices and chilies.