Thursday, January 02, 2014

Oyster Omelet 蚵仔煎, Ningxia Night Market, Taipei

I totally concur with the saying that taste is absolutely subjective. Taiwan is a snack's paradise with night markets offering street food in almost every main city - Taipei, Taichung, Hsinchu, Tainan etc. Street food and snacks such as Oyster Vermicelli, Oyster Omelet, Fried Salt-and-Pepper Chicken, Stinky Tofu, Shaved Ice, Beef Noodles, Braised Pork Rice, Peddlar (DanZai)Noodles, just to name a few. Despite the galore of street food and snacks, there is really no item I can single out as my favorite other than Tainan's Milkfish Rice Porridge/Congee - a dish I do not mind eating regularly.

"Uncle" busy with his many oyster omelets @ 圓環邊蚵仔煎 @圓環邊蚵仔煎

I definitely love my Mee Siam, Popiah, Fried Carrot Cake, Bak Chor Mee, Prawn Noodles, Satay, much much better! Perhaps these are the taste(s) I grew up with, so these food is comfort that has already grown into me.

Ningxia Night Market 宁夏夜市 is a relatively small night market located in western Taipei,Datong District and particularly popular amongst the locals. As our hotel is located pretty near within walkable distance, and there is also a Formosa Chang branch location within this area, it fitted our dinner plan.

Huge pan filled generously with fresh oysters and lettuce for the oyster omelet @圓環邊蚵仔煎

Oyster omelet served with garlic sweet sauce @ 圓環邊蚵仔煎

Pots of oysters and clams ready for cooking oyster and clam soups@ 圓環邊蚵仔煎

Other popular items (as I observed) among customers is the clam soup but we already had lots of food in Formosa Chang which is just few doors away.


宁夏夜市, Ningxia Night Market
寧夏路, 大同區

Tag: ,

An Escape to Food on Facebook