Tips to reduce THAT slime include frying the okra in high-heat within a short time, making less cuts to the okra(the more, and smaller you cut, the more SLIME), not introducing moisture while frying okra, and blanching in boiling water-then-plunging in ice-cold water. This is such a "difficult" plant vegetable to work with. It is even suggested that okra should not be cooked in a cast-iron or aluminium pot, to prevent them from turning "black" and thus unappetizing.
I can't handle that high heat! So, to ensure my okra gets cooked in the hot pan within 1 minute, I decided to "cheat" - and blanch them in boiling water first. Now, I can rest assured my okra does not end up uncooked/hard under my frying.
Okra with sambal chilli
Ingredients:
-okra; blanch whole okra pods in boiling water for about 4-5 mins; remove with a slotted ladle and cool it in a bowl of ice water or until just tender (but still crisp). When cool, trim off the cap- and tail- ends.
-1tbsp of sambal chilli (GLORY brand Nonya Sambal Chilli); up to 2tbsp if you love HOT spicy
-1tbsp dried shrimps
Method:
1.Heat oil at medium-high in frying pan
2.Fry dried shrimps
3.Add in sambal chilli and continue frying for ~1 min, gradually turning on heat to high
4.On high heat, add in okra and fry quickly, just to "coat" the chilli-shrimp mix onto the already cooked okra
5. Dish up and serve
Tag: sambal belacan, okra, lady's finger, sambal chilli
Did you buy the smallest dried shrimp available or did you buy medium sized ones and pound them up?
ReplyDeleteDunno if they are the smallest but they are quite small, I would say small to medium. I don't pound them. Either I rough-cut(so that I get twice the quantity to mix it proportionally with my main ingredient or I grind them in food processor so that I get "pork floss" texture...
ReplyDeleteAr... food processor. For the longest time I was deliberating on whether to buy a small food processor. Now I have a good reason to.
ReplyDeleteDepends how often u want to use a food processor. I don't use it often. So a small one is good. Mine is actually called a handheld chopper (electronic) -brought over from SG. Very small-good for grinding small quantities only.
ReplyDeleteI actually have a handheld thinghy for making puree. Are you referring to those type? Post a picture la. Let me look see :)
ReplyDeleteNot sure if the hei bi will fly all over the place if I use the one that I have.
ok, ok...wait a while
ReplyDeleteYes, i agree, if you fry it on high heat, it's not slimy.
ReplyDeleteI like okra and this looks so good. Perfect with steamed rice. :)
Mae