I know it's weird that I have the sauce first, then think of making satay. Most would have planned to make satay, then think about the sauce.
Chicken satay recipes tend to have different marinade ingredients compared to beef satay. If you feel "beefy" today, try Sim's beef satay recipe. But if you feel "chicky" (or cheeky), give this chicken satay recipe a shot.
Oh, this is what I call being flexible, when I do not have the privilege to own any electric grill or stove-top gridle, and have to use the usual frying pan(just make sure it's shallow and has a large wide surface) to grill my satay. Being flexible with satay, does not mean you flex the skewers while eating your satay. You can if you want to but I guarantee you, it would not make the satay any tastier. And "satay needs to have that "chargrilled" color!!!" Ok, I heard that. Means having that burnt color/texture on the satay that makes it taste somewhat good. On the pan, you can use your kitchen tongs (not THAT thongs...heh) to "exert some pressure" on the satay such that it sizzles twice as much, on contact with the hot pan.
Chicken satay (makes ~25 sticks)
Ingredients:
- (~1lb) or 4 chicken thighs or chicken breasts (deboned), cut into strips 2cmx6cm
Marinade:
-2-3tsp curry power (mine contains coriander, cumin, turmeric...the key ingredients in chicken satay marinade)
-2tbsp canola oil
-1-2tsp brown sugar
-2tsp ground garlic
-1tsp ground ginger
-dashes of salt
Method:
1.Marinade chicken pieces 2 hrs before cooking the satay or leave marinated chicken in fridge overnight
2.Thread the chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers
3.Place chicken on shallow large base pan to grill. Grill each side for 4-5mins, then turn to other side and grill for another 3-4 mins
4.Serve with ready-made satay sauce
Tag: satay, chicken, chicken satay
Not too bad, not too bad!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a healthy method of cooking.
Actually Satay sauce is not that difficult to make. But only worth making if you are having a Satay party at home. (too much work!)
Here's the correct way to cook them. :-)
And yep, that's the authentic version! The one thing I can't simulate is that "charcoal-ed" taste on my satay.
ReplyDeleteThe pressure technique is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteI wish I can use a charcoal grill to get that charcoal taste too. But if I use a charcoal grill, I risk burning down the balcony. My apt is made of wood.
I'll keep your recipe for next summer when I bbq at the beach!
Hahaha...I told you before I've got a small portable grill? That uses traditional charcoal. My first(seems the last) BBQ in summer was a real charcoal BBQ in my balcony. But it was a chore to wash that metal-mesh after bbq-ing coz my sink is not that deep and huge. You see that whole "value-chain" here ? Everything has to fit somewhere, somehow....heeeheheheh
ReplyDeleteLucky the grill unit cost only 15bucks, if not I wld have felt worse using the grill unit only once since then *gulity*
hey there... just happen to surf on. you take nice pics pf the food wor. Just off work... gonna find my dinner liao!
ReplyDeleteU can use the satay sauce to make satay bee hoon...
ReplyDeleteWhoa, the sauce look very authentic! Chicken's good too.
ReplyDeleteYou know the thing that they use to smoke food. I wonder after cooking the satay in the pan, can you smoke it for like one hour?
ReplyDeletehmmm apple wood satay, pine wood satay, errr am I mad? haha...
Hi imlovely, thanks for dropping by, just before u're off from work.
ReplyDeleteHi anonymous,sounds a great idea! Then I don't have to make satay every time. I can use the sauce for satay beehoon but need kang kang and cuttlefish now...
Hi Koeiru, thanks for visiting.The sauce better be authentic since it's Malaysian/S'pore(still trying to confirm this) brand.
Hey Keropok man, very creative. May just work...kekekeke
To add on what anonymous said, you can also try making tahu goreng (replace the usual shrimp paste sauce with satay sauce) or gado-gado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gado-gado).
ReplyDeleteHope these add more variety. In fact, the ingredients are simple and you should be able to get them easily...
Suggestions from an 'omnivore' --- from zoo to night safari...
Hi omnivore, thanks for your visit and suggestion. Time for more grocery shopping now!
ReplyDeleteA thank-you from tigerfish, from land to water...
Hi Tigerfish,
ReplyDeleteComing to this a day late and a dollar short with a question about the curry powder you used. If none is available then what's the ratio of coriander to cumin and tumeric?
Hi Pussycat, 1:1:1 ratio shd be fine, I think. And depends on you are using the seeds or powder form.
ReplyDeleteDo ground the seasoning altogether, if using seeds. Thks for visiting my blog.
Coincidentally I'm in the process of drying some coriander seeds from a couple of plants that bolted (high summer down here) so I'll give it a burl some time soon.
ReplyDeleteEnjoying the blog and thanks for the tip.