This is something simple, so simple with no pretty food pictures, to make use of leftover coconut milk from the otak otak (or fish frittata) made here. If you are not able to buy the smallest canned coconut milk, or are left with some ounces after using just that 1-cup coconut milk for your cooking, do take note that once the can is opened, the milk(not a dairy product) does not keep for long, even in the refrigerator. Freeze any leftovers(last about 1-2 months) in small amounts for future use.
I used the simplest ingredients I could find in my pantry, and with that leftover coconut milk (which I did not want to freeze and store), made this traditional Hawaiian coconut-flavored dessert, Haupia. To it, I added some coffee and it became Coffee Haupia. A real simple dessert made from leftover coconut milk for Leftover Tuesdays #3 going on at What's Cooking.
Coffee Haupia (2 small servings)
Ingredients:
-2tsp instant coffee (I used Nescafe Tasters Choice)
-1-2tbsp cornstarch/cornflour, to thicken
-2-3tbsp brown sugar, to taste
-leftover coconut milk (about 1-2cups will do)
Method:
1.Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and continuously stir over low heat till thick. Do not let the mixture boil.
2.Adjust coffee and sugar ratio, to taste
3.Pour into individual serving cups or for me, the muffin pan. Chill.
Tag: haupia, desserts, hawaiian, leftover tuesdays
uuuuhhh.. wonder how's the outcome!!.
ReplyDeletebtw, thanks for visiting.
Well, you've certainly kept me in suspense. lol.
ReplyDeleteSo it's an icy beverage? (If not, why you put in muffin pan?
ReplyDeletethe flavors sound like a great combo. I loved the coconut coffee i brought back from hawaii. does it end up like a pudding dessert?
ReplyDeletethe amateur, are you thinking what I'm thinking, before I put it to chill? Turned out ok...it was my first time tasting a Hawaiian dessert which at the same time, was my first attempt on cooking it.
ReplyDeletelyrical lemongrass, sometimes it's best to keep everything in suspense and not "expose" all of it. Absence makes the heart fonder Hahah!
ReplyDeleteBut this time, I really forgot lah!
simcooks, not a beverage (though it looks un-hardened before chilling). It's like agar-agar or jelly...after chilling, supposed to be solid-state ;p
ReplyDeleterachel, yes, yes...more like a pudding. Maybe Hawaiians love such combo-flavor of coffee and coconut:D
ReplyDeletelooks yummi. thanks for the tip on coconut milk. that's something i did know. :D
ReplyDeleteTiga - I don't know what happened, but lately your blog takes longer to load leh...like the header loads, the side navs loads, but the body takes longer to load and one time, the body went blank leh...you check check and see...also I got "Done, but with errors on page" error message this time!
ReplyDeleteHi Tigerfish, I love coffee (the drink) and I am sure your Hawaiian dessert tastes yummy. I guess you have difficulty getting fresh coconut milk in CA?
ReplyDeleteBTW, I hope you don't mind that I come and partake in your buffet spread once in a while by linking you in my blog? (Hehe, linked you already then ask for permission can or not hah? Still, it is better to ask, just in case. If got objection, I can take down wan, no problem.
That's a really good way to use up the leftover coconut milk. I tend to either leave the leftover milk in the fridge and forget about it until 2 months later when I make a nasty discovery, or leave it in the freezer where I rediscover it 6 months later!
ReplyDeleteCoffee! My favorite! Hmmm, never tried add coconut milk before. Does the taste compliment well? I tried Coffee bak ku (pork rib) before. Hooo, taste wonderful.
ReplyDeletebuddingcook- are you usually left with leftover coconut milk too?
ReplyDeleteRM-blogger wants to go on strike with me liow! :( ...dunno if it's one of blogger's bad days. When I load,it's ok sometimes, but sometimes it's not. When I read other Blogger sites, same thing happens. But, thks for highlighting the problem, I will go take a look at it (but doubt I can solve it). :O
victor, i'm also a coffee drinker (not addicted yet, lukcily). Hard to get fresh coconut milk. I won't dare to say there's none because I've not reccee enough :D
ReplyDeleteNo problem lah, link loh! Free buffet, no queue! Hope you like the spread offered though.
wokandspoon, I don't really like to keep leftover ingredients for too long(esp. for coconut mik that will turn rancid fast) because I will forget about them sooner or later. This time, I really did not want to whip up an entirely new dish that requires newly-bought ingredients for those leftover coconut milk,so could only think of doing this. :)
ReplyDeletefleck, they are ok. I have not tasted the real thing before, so not sure how far mine differed from the real thing. Oh yes, coffee pork ribs is good.
ReplyDelete