Leap into Spring with a complex carbo pasta for your work-out

Today marks the first day of Spring. It's time to hit the outdoors, Spring through Summer. If you find yourself walking, jogging, swimming or cycling in the outdoors more often, pack up on those carbo (eg. pasta) that is good for you. Of course, don't forget the H2O and sunscreen! I've just whipped up a simple pasta dish to give you more energy that last till...summer? What kind of sauce would you like? Cream-based, tomato-based or simply aglio e olio?

I want that sauce "trapped" in those hollow tubes so that no sauce can escape! OK, you shall have a medium-heavy tomato-based sauce of meat, mushrooms, and onions, holding well in the hollows of penne pasta. For once, something "complex" is good for you! Yes, complex carbo such as pasta is good for you, especially if you are an athlete or heads the gym regularly. Mmmmm... ...just in time for Presto Pasta Nights.


Penne mushroom and beef bolognese (serves 2-3)
Ingredients:
-1/2lb penne pasta
-1/2lb ground beef(substitute: ground turkey)
-4oz white mushrooms, sliced
-3tbsp chopped onions
- Classico Triple Mushroom sauce (with portobello & crimini mushroom chucks...yum yum)
-olive oil

Method:
1. Boil pasta in boiling water, with some salt. Takes about 7-9mins.
2.Heat oil in frying pan, add mushrooms, and onions and cook till soften
3.Add in ground beef, and cook till beef changes color
4.Add in sauce and stir well
5. By this time, the penne pasta is cooked in the boiling water. Drain pasta and add to the sauce mixture, stir and mix well
6.Dish up and serve

Pasta shapes are designed not to only look attractive but to "pick up" and convey" sauce to your mouth. A simple key to pasta shape and sauce matching :
-Long thin pasta go with sauces that are thin or have finely-cut ingredients(eg. spaghettini or angel hair with lemon and cream suace);
-Long flat pasta suit slightly heavier sauces;
-Short pasta with indentations and cavities are tailored for thick chucky sauces (eg. penne-quills or fusilli - twists, with chucky mushroom bolognese sauce)

Tag: , , ,

17 comments:

  1. What a fabulous penne - my husband's favorite noodle and my favorite sauce. Thanks so much for joining Presto Pasta Night fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great pasta dish. Thanks for the tips too! And happy Spring...go work those muscles, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... Happy Spring!Is California so beautiful at this moment?

    I love tomato-based sauce pasta. It's so appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, this is my comfort pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lyrical lemongrass, you reminding me izit? :O

    ECL, you come lah! Definitely less humid than S'pore :D
    I love tomato-based sauce too! Always wins me over when I need to choose cream-based or tomato-based. So, when you coming? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bolognese sauce and carbonara too.

    Do you know "putanesca" sauce means "in the style of a whore"? My friends tell me that it is because it doesn't require cooking time because the prostitutes don't cook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought minced beef today to make spaghetti bolognese. Now I need to go get some mushrooms from Safeway. The mushrooms at the Asian supermarket are not so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious, that sauce looks so thick and hearty, that it doesn't need to be "trapped" inside those pasta tubes! And I enjoyed the educational tips at the end about sauce and pasta parings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cook this once in a while. I add crushed black pepper and some italian herbs for added kick! :)

    Have you tried placing the pasta bolognese in a baking tray, sprinkle or place a layer of cheese on top and grilling / baking it till the cheese melts? Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I could eat some of that right now for lunch! The photo of the blossom is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ming merciless, you just told me something I did not know! I hope I have not just made you sleepy with those pasta(carbo)...

    simcooks, so easy and tasty right? I don't get my white/crimini/brown from Asian supermarket too! Mine from TJs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. buddingcook, me too! all kinds!

    passionate eater, you are right! But I am greedy! I love this so much, it's really thick and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. pablopabla, i usually add those crushed black pepper and dried (basil or oregano) when i do the lighter sauce or aglio e olio. I hv not tried the "lasagna" way yet...but would love to sometime. Already sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. freya and paul, what's more "luxurious" to look at those blossoms and have such a hearty dish, ya? I did them separately, of course ;p

    ReplyDelete
  15. A year ago, my 8 year old introduced me to Penne Pasta. I have now learned to appreciate it. Perhaps, I should make some using my pasta maker. It is "collecting dust" now:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lee Ping, you even have a pasta maker! You must be a great chef. Penne is for the lazier, you don't have to twist and turn those long pasta(spaghetti,or linguine)...a spoon to scoop up those penne will do ;p

    ReplyDelete