Mini curry pie...the curry cuties

You don't need to have a basket to take part.

That's good, because I don't have one.

But I do have some curry cuties that are "basket-fitting-friendly", finger-friendly, and hopefully "easter-friendly"...it's going to SPICE UP your Easter! Waiter, There's Something in My ... Easter Basket!


Curry pie
(makes ~5 mini pies)
In your grocer's basket or preparation bowl: Get ready ~100g (1/4 lb) ground beef (can be ground turkey, chicken, pork) , a small-medium yellow russet potato (boiled), and 1/4cup finely diced onions. It's a pie, so don't forget to stock up on pastry making ingredients; and for me, it's got to be time saver Betty Crocker Pie Crust Mix (half of the standard 11oz pack), 1tbsp butter, and some cold water (The pie crust mix pack would have ready instructions for you to make the dough, don't worry).

In a saute pan: ...lightly oiled, fry the ground beef for a 2-3 mins; then add in cubed potatoes(already boiled as whole then cubed) and fry for few more mins, till meat is cooked.

Then, add 2 tsp curry powder, and pinches(eyeball quantity, to taste) of five spice powder (allspice will do as well) to the mixture and continue saute on low heat. If you are using ground turkey or chicken, the mixture may be dry (so add some chicken broth or water). To thicken mixture and enhance the "creamy" texture, add cornflour-water mixture(of about 1tsp cornflour mixed with 2tbsp water). Turn off heat when mixture is ready. Allow cool.

On a flat board/floured surface: Roll the dough flat and cut into ~8 round sections (~5 rounds for the base crust, and 2-3 rounds-to be "flatten" further using the rolling pin, and cut into 5 rounds for the top crust)

In the muffin pan: Line the dough-crust base on buttered muffin pan surface, add the filling(of meat+potatoes+onions), then top with top dough-crust.



In the preheated oven: Bake the pies @400F for about 20 minutes.


In the easter basket:...finally...these finger-friendly baked pies.




Related posts:
Chicken strudel
Mini chicken pie
Curry puffs/pasties


Tag: , , ,

28 comments:

  1. very creative! perfect for that easter picnic... although it's still quite chilly around here. thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. I was just thinking of making curry puffs too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look good and definitely easier that curry puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! this is ideal food for picnic! Nice blog with nice food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thepassionatecook, when it's chilly, best to have some curry as it warms you :)

    wandering chopsticks, looking forward to have some of your curry puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. boo_licious, it's easier on the part of using ground meat. Now I don't have to cut the meat into bite-size like what I did for curry puffs. Haha! But I like them both (the eat part).

    novice baker, yes, very finger-friendy. You don't even need a fork! Thks for visiting :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh... The cupcake tin idea is a good one. I usually have problems completely sealing the edges of mine. Always have a blowout or two. The cupcake tins would keep that from getting too messy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The step-by-step recipe's great, girl. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just imagine you munching on these curry pies happily in spring time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good!! Healtier than curry puffs!Next time try sardine with lots of chopped onions??

    ReplyDelete
  11. chubbypanda, if you're thinking of making for own consumption, you could use a fork to prick a few holes on the top pastry before baking. This will allow "steam" to vent out and prevent a blowout :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lyrical lemongrass, just don't feel like using bullets and 1,2,3 today ;p

    pablopabla, ya lor...gone in just a few mins :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Precious Pea, hv tried sardine version before but not a lot of onions! I shall do the lotsa onions version. Thks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The muffin pan! It's great that you are making good use of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never made these before and always see them in the Asian bakery. Your's look so wonderful. I'd really like to try making this. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. eeeee, so cute!!! but strange, huh, the filling doesn't look so yellow after cooking.. heh heh, good that you cover them up, easier to put in the basket, not like me, lazy, leaving the top open! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could eat several of those yummy looking pies right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks pretty good!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pies are so cute! I love mini food!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the pic of the ingredients suddenly make me salivate. haha...

    i think i am becoming more and more like Pavlov's dog. haha...

    ReplyDelete
  21. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm Do you think that would work equally well with a flaky pastry, even a puff pastry?

    ReplyDelete
  22. RM-yep! The pan has already paid for itself :D

    passionate eater, try them and let me know if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. shilpa, think some of the yellow "evaporated" during baking? I need to cover them up, if not the filling would be even drier :O

    ReplyDelete
  24. freya and paul, do you like curry? I ate 2 at one go!

    zhengning, you could try it. Very easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. patricia, I love minis too! Already made mini chicken pies and curry puffs, and now curry pie ;p

    ReplyDelete
  26. keropok man, so now you know how i feel when i see your food pics? You becoming one? I'm already one long long time ago ;p

    ukzoe, definitely you could! I've made mini chicken pie with puff pastry before. Thks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  27. mini pies are a great idea! These look very tasty

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes, sophie, they are great , tasty and finger-friendly. Thks for visiting:)

    ReplyDelete