DOE (Design of Experiment) goes like this: One version (I call Otak A) from Simcooks (adapted & modified from Melting Wok). Another recipe (Otak B) adapted, and modified from the several virtual searches of otak recipe ingredients.
Otak A - paler in color but does not lack flavor.
Otah B - looks more "orange", just like otak, and more spicy, definitely!
I love both versions!
Dace fish paste-imported from China~right+ 1/4lb fish paste-San Jose, local~left. These two fish paste have different textures
Otak B (makes ~3-4 otak)
Ingredients:
-1/4lb fish paste(1/8lb dace fish paste-imported from China+ 1/8lb fish paste-San Jose, local)
-1/4 cup thick coconut milk
-1 egg white
-2tbsp belachan paste (that's where the "heat" came from)
-1/2 small shallot
-1/2 of one small ginger
-1/3tsp cane sugar
-banana leaves,and bamboo skewers
(Note: No tom yum paste and no galangal used here in Otak B, but much more belachan paste)
Method:
1.Blend shallot and ginger in food processor
2.Add all the ingredients to the fish paste. Mix evenly until it becomes smooth
3.Place fish paste mixture in the center of a banana leaf, adjusted according to size of banana leaf
4.Fold and secure both ends with short bamboo skewers
5.Preheat oven to 450F and bake the otak for 20-25mins.
6 Ready !
Of course, I set aside some "play time" in this serious experiment. Played around with shapes...using my muffin pan. HA!
More notes:
1. Mixing two types of fish paste improves the texture since dace fish paste is more "lumpy" and the other fish paste is smoother.
2. Using more sambal belachan paste improves the color of the otak, and increases the "spice" level as well. I like the spicy version. The use of more sambal belachan paste does not overpower the otak (as in, the otak otak still taste like otak otak)
3.Not using galangal in Otak B works as well. This short-cut works in case you still want to make your otak but does not have this ingredient (Don't worry, PROVEN, by me the "guinea pig")
Whatever shape, whatever version , this is actually quite an easy appetizer/snack to make! Hooray!
Tag: fish paste, otak otak, otah otah, banana leaves,frittata
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I noticed you attempted otak. My girlfriends and I made this a few months ago. It was fun making it. Keep up your cooking spirits.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you eat it with? Just rice? VNese version we fry our fish paste. But I can't say I've ever been a big fan of it.
ReplyDeleteMmh..your otak-otak looks good, tigerfish.
ReplyDeleteI think if you want your otak otak to be more yellowis, just add tumeric root into your blend of spices.
I know the otak otak in Penang uses tumeric in it and is steamed till cook. I love both the northern and southern version really. :)
I'm certainly impressed! Gotta refer my aunt in LA to your blog - she'll be so motivated to cook local food! hehe.
ReplyDeletehi lee ping, fun to make, fun to eat :D
ReplyDeletewandering chopsticks, many ways-just as-is, with rice(plus other side dishes), and as sandwich filler. How is the Vnese version made?
I salute you for going thru all the trouble to make these otak-otak!
ReplyDeletewah lau, can't stand you man, so jealous! Of course (surprise surprise) I can't find ready-made fish paste here, BUT I think I know how to do this with REAL fish and some tapioca starch!! :) In that way, I can leave a few chunks of fish in my otak, the way I like it! Eh, thought of doing this with prawns? I'm sure it would be heavenly!
ReplyDeleteYour more 'orangey-coloured' otah looks like he real thing. But hor, 'fatter'! hehe....
ReplyDeleteReally! I want to go California. Will you still be there next year becos this year my son got ‘O ’ level.
Hi !
ReplyDeleteI wandered to your blog and left it feeling real huyngry. Keep it up the good work !
A tip - You can use fish slices instead of fish paste.
Pat on yr back for making otak-otak! Both look good and now you mention it, it is just a fritata.
ReplyDeleteWah... you make me feel like making this again.
ReplyDeleteHope you made a lot! Eat with plain rice, coconut rice, bread, by itself... ...
expedited writer, I did not know there were 2 versions :O Only familiar with the "pengkang" (grilled) version. Maybe I can try the steaming version next time...thks! :)
ReplyDeletelyrical lemongrass, impressed with my interest in science expt, izit? ;p
pablopabla, bo bian leh! Here cannot get, and i'm tempted by the food pix when I surf the net ;p
ReplyDeleteshilpa, yes...the real fish will work too! So it's a blessing in disguise, right? No fish paste and you get more ho liao in your otak ;D
ReplyDeletePrawns will definitely work too...such as this.
ECL, what fatter? where got fat? tell me where...
i thot ur son JC liow? :O
next year dunno yet...maybe i can visit u bac in S'pore at that time.
hi leng, there's a ad slogan i hear frequently on US TV.."come hungry, leave happpy". Thks for the fish slice tip! I want to try the next time.
ReplyDeleteboo_licious, it's my first attempt, and there's more room for improvement, definitely. Thks for droppin' by :D
ReplyDeletesimcooks, start making them when your wrist gets better. Have had them almost all the ways you said :D
Tigerfish,
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what goes into the Vnese version. :P I just know it's fried. You can find them at VNese grocery stores labeled "cha ca" (paste fish). It's either a flat round, or a rolled cylinder. It's eaten either with rice, or sandwiches, or as a side meat with some steamed rice noodles, dumplings, or other blandish stuff.
That looks absolutely delicious! I'll have to try it this weekend.
ReplyDeleteWandering chopsticks, sounds like you are really not a big fan of it. Maybe this otak-otak taste different from the Vnese version, that you may try it and like it someday? ;p
ReplyDeleteHaha! I don't hate it. It's just there's so many other things I'd rather eat. :)
ReplyDeleteYour otah so 大支! For sale, sure lugi wan la!
ReplyDeleteMy son only 15 leh! Dun anyhow add years to my age! I sensitive. hahaha.....
Sure you will come back wat!
ECL, you don't know how much i charge, how u know i will lugi ? ;p
ReplyDelete15 yrs old...O Level liow...take short-cut arh? heh heh....
I'm so backdated with Sg edu system coz keep changing ler !
YUM! i loooooove those so much. drooling, you did a beautiful job :):)
ReplyDeleteMy mum sometimes make otak, too. But hers is more like the Thai version, without using the banana leaves. But somehow, I find that food associated with banana leaves always taste much better ....
ReplyDeletethanks aria!
ReplyDeletechris, ooh...i thot thai version also uses banana leaves? The thai version is usually prawn or fish...and there's usually small chunks of fish in the fish otah. And oh yes, banana leaves do impart some flavor and nice aroma to the food. Nice right?
cool ! looks like very delicious otak you share! i cant wait to try it!!
ReplyDeletethoo2,are you considering making
ReplyDeletesome ? :)
aiyoyo, i look liao suddenly got urge to eat leh..
ReplyDeletehow how how? should have bought those giantic pre-made ones from Giant and put in freezer.. then anytime can eat.
keropokman, i tried those Giant pre-made otak before...really very convenient! ;p
ReplyDeletehands got slightly burnt here from clay pot cooking :( Anyhoo, I can't resist your otak2, killing me softly again :PP (3:19am)
ReplyDeleteMW, aiyo...how come? You must have accidentally touched the HOT pot while cooking. Claypot retains A LOT of heat! I usually kena slight cuts and burnts too while cooking.
ReplyDeleteHow come already 3am you still not sleeping?
I live in Singapore and Australia now. Notwithstanding, my memory of Penang Otah is still vivid. I finished my 10th Grade in Chung Ling. It does not use fish paste, instead it uses fish meat, cut into cubes only. You are supposed to be able to chew into the texture of fish meat. If you can't, it is not genuine, we throw it away! The paste contains rice flour, and egg white (york removed) that binds it and make it jelly like. A local herbal leave (known as Hs'ua Lao Hio) is used to lined the bottom of the banana leaves containing the mix for steaming. Anyone reading this from Penang, please share the recipe. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYES I love otak otak but Malaysian food is so hard to find in Canada, I have to make it myself! They sell frozen banana leaves at T&T (huge Asian supermarket that is becoming popular), so I may have to pick some up to make it more "authentic". I wish I could eat out of a banana leaf for every meal - no dishes!
ReplyDelete