Kong Bak - 2 words, essentially means braised meat respectively. Typically the bak or meat used are pork belly slices, pre- marinated in a mix of sauces - can be a traditional pass-down recipe, or a family secret, or as simple as that.
Kong Bak/Kong Bak Pau - Braised Pork Belly Slices with Yam (serves 2-3)
Ingredients:
-1/2lb pork belly
-water for blanching
-6-8 cooked yam slices (~1.5cm width each)
Marinade:
-tbsp dark soya sauce
-1tsp oyster sauce
-1tsp cane sugar
-1tsp tomato ketchup
-1/2tsp white peppercorns
-1/2tsp five spice powder
-1/2tsp salt
-1tsp chinese cooking wine
-4cloves (from 1 bulb) of garlic, peeled and crushed
Method:
1. Blanch pork belly in hot boiling water for about 30-45secs. Remove from water and drain
2. Cut the pork belly into 1 to 1.5cm-width slices, and mix in marinade and leave it in the fridge, at least 2 hours or more
3. After marination, add in the yam slices, arranging them in between the marinated pork belly slices, then pour remaining marinade to drench the pork belly slices and yam
4. Steam marinated pork belly slices and yam for 1hr, then transfer them to slow-cooker
5. Cook in slow-cooker on low and continue braising (should take another ~2hrs) till pork belly slices are cooked to soft tenderness, as with the yam. By this time, the kitchen is smelling a whole lot like cooked Kong Bak!
Notes: The yam acts like a "thickener"...just like what a potato does in stews. If you want your Kong Bak gravy slightly thick(or starchy), you can add in some yam to do the trick. Also, the yam has a hint of sweet that flavors the Kong Bak as well.
Is this the Chinese KB burger?
Tag: kong bak, pork belly, kong bak pau, burger
I've never heard of kong bak before but the dish looks familiar. We just called it braised pork belly. LOL!
ReplyDeleteMy dad loves it a lot but my mom is restricting his caloric intake so not braised pork belly in the family. :-(
Oh my goodness I love pork belly, the chewy rind, the melt in your mouth fat, and the oh so tender meat. You have me drooling all over my desk. :p Though, I always feel a bit guilty eating it (but not enough to stop).
ReplyDeleteMy father cooks this pork dish very well, but you are too creative, eating it with steamed bun...must be very good!
ReplyDeleteThe yam idea is awesome. Can't wait to try it.
ReplyDeleteOh my god, I love kong bak pau!! They are my favourite..
ReplyDeleteCan you send some over to me, thanks. haha!
I love the Kong Bak in the Pao! The streaky pork belly! mmmm....
ReplyDeleteaiyaaah, now so health-conscious, cannot eat too much. If use all lean meat it's like munching bark of trees. :(
I love kong bak pao!
Woa.... i like this ... my all-time fav! My mum juz made some recently, but we also add "pang chai" in the Poa (like how lettuce is added in the hamburger lor), but no yam. And I dun like all lean meat. Must have some fat then shiok! Same for bakchang... hehehe...
ReplyDeleteThat just looks absolutely sinful and delicious too! Slurp! Just today me and my wife was having a bak kut teh lunch at River Valley Road (next to Mohamed Sultan) and we saw another table having two big fat pig legs. Man.... indulgence!
ReplyDeleteming merciless, it's the same thing. :D
ReplyDeleteonce in a while, it's ok right? Too much of a good thing is not encouraged, as in too little of a bad thing...LOL! Kidding!
amy, this is the first time I'm cooking with pork belly :O , and I don't think I'll be at it so often. Enjoy while we all could ;p
ReplyDeleteRM, not supposed to eat with steamed buns meh? Your mum cooks delicious chap chai, your dad cooks kong bak, the daughter cooks
ReplyDeleteanything from authentic southeast asian to western. It' all in the genes, man!
chubbypanda, do you plan to try it? Let me know how it works. You may have to tweak it to your own taste preference.
eugenemom, glad I did something you like at the time of your visit :D
ReplyDeleteECL, once in a while ok lah! 又不是叫你天天吃 ...
ReplyDeletechris, yours more like the hamburger hor? Still got lettuce wan...why not add some ang mo kio and onions too? Muahahaha
Ya lor...a bit of fats is ok once in a while lah...I don't believe in restrictive diets...alamak, I eat chicken rice also eat the skin of the chicken wan ler..:O
cool insider, I can imagine the big fat big legs now! But I don't think I would eat that! TOo scary....
Courier some over ;)
ReplyDeleteNice variation you have there. And I was LOL when you mentioned about pacman.
what a brilliant idea to call it a burger. It'll go down well with the kids, I'm sure. Looks yummy too.
ReplyDeletepablopabla, doesn't it look like pac-man?
ReplyDeletelyrical lemongrass, you mean kids don't like kong bak pau, as is?
ReplyDeleteWow. Looks yummy. I want some. Now! :)
ReplyDeleteDo you have the recipe for the white buns, pretty please?
Oh, yes, it does look like pac man. But a deliciously edible pac man. :)
Oh mae, I've got store-bought buns! How I wish I could make my own but I'm no baker. :O
ReplyDelete