Published widely: Dark chocolate, the richer in cocoa the better.I've read it before.
Cocoa is rich in antioxidant flavonoids called flavanols. When cocoa is processed into your favorite chocolate products, it goes through several steps to reduce its naturally pungent taste. Flavonoids (polyphenols) provide this pungent taste. The more chocolate is processed (such as fermentation, alkalizing, roasting), the more flavonoids are lost. Eating (dark) chocolate can boost the level of heart-protecting antioxidants in the blood, according to several scientific studies.
I know, but I'm no health freak who likes guilt-free chocolates or sweets.
My love for dark chocolates is simply on the taste and flavor (not because of health reasons). I enjoy that hint of bitterness - the pure deep chocolate flavor.
China's Deng Xiaoping “white cat, black cat” theory (“No matter if it’s a white cat or a black cat; as long as it can catch mice, it’s a good cat") does not work here, or I would have punned it to: "No matter if it's white chocolate or dark chocolate; as long as it's edible, it's just chocolate"
60% is not "dark" enough for me. No, no... 70% does not satisfy my "dark" desire either. 73% ? 80% ? Well, 73% super-dark works fine for me. Pure indulgence. I'm still looking for the perfect dark, leaving it to chance.
One fine day, 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate really came by chance. Despite "baking bar" being obvious, in print, I thought I would be up to the challenge of nibbling this perfect dark. I've equated 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate to 100% dark chocolate. I'm happy.
But I'm wrong. That 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate (unsweetened chocolate is pure chocolate liquor) - downright bitter to the extent of pungent...on my taste buds. Being a baking idiot, I would not have known this. I've seen 70%+ dark chocolates being marked for baking purposes and these chocolates are so good...so good that I can eat and nibble on it, as-is, like a biscuit or cookie.
Do you enjoy, or have you nibbled on unadulterated chocolate 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate ? Which variety of chocolates do you like?
Tag: dark chocolate, chocolate, unsweetened chocolate
Dark chocolate all the way for me. I LuVVVV dark chocolates yum meh.
ReplyDeleteI tried this 97% dark chocolate and hrrrr I dont like that unsweetened chocolate at all.
ReplyDeleteI guess I am satisfied with 75% dark chocolate.
(Who said the higher %, the better it will be, right?0
A piece of 85% dark chocolate sandwiched in a piece of baguette. It's a French was of enjoying chocolate I learned to love as a child.
ReplyDeleteWould prefer milk choco, esp Kit Kat cos like choco with biscuit inside.
ReplyDeleteCadbury milk chocolate always works for me.
ReplyDeleteI love Lindt's 72%! 100% unsweetened chocolate=0% sugar, it would be too bitter for munching, but perfect for brownies!
ReplyDeleteYum, yum, dark chocolate for me too. But not baking chocolate, not sweet enough.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever smelled a cacao tree in bloom? Sooooo yummy!
Ahhh ... chocolates!!! My love, my life! I am a chocoholic.
ReplyDeleteBut I prefer milk chocolates. :)
waaaaaaaah what health freak?! lolz.
ReplyDelete85% is perfect esp those with high cocoa butter but 100% would be simply downright gross (i think)
I like any chocolate with booze stuffed inside of it.
ReplyDeletefirehorse, after I fell in love in dark chocs, I never enjoy milk chocolates anymore, and I never like white chocs!
ReplyDeletepauline, precisely! My whole face practically crinkled! :O
75-80+% will suit me perfect!
chubbypanda, was the chocolate melted? It's like thick chocolate jam in a sandwich if it would have been melted. Heehee...
ReplyDeleteI'm game to try that!
omnivore, hahaha...I would call Kit Kat a biscuit, not a chocolate lah! But I still like biscuit coated with dark chocolate too! Next time you go to the biscuits section, try to look for Tim Tam dark chocolate biscuits something. Anyway, I think you
ReplyDeletemay like the Tim Tam classics(milk choc) too! It's not so cheap but you can just try it for once,maybe?
simcooks, I forgot how Cadbury milk choc taste like :O ..but I love the nice aroma filling up the Cadbury choc factory, always :D
ReplyDeletenovice baker, yup, it was bitter, very..indeed :* (face crinking even when I think of it now)
ReplyDeleteWC, I realized can't do without sugar in any chocolate even for the dark. Where to go smelling a cacao tree? Does it near anything
like visiting a chocolate factory :D ? ...hahahha
ECL, you and your chee ku lit ...you sure you don't like dark chocs? Ok, I will get milk chocolates for you the next time
ReplyDeleteI see you. But I no expert in buying milk chocolates. You like plain ones or with nuts or with other things?
Mmm I love dark chocolate and white chocolate, though I don't like milk chocolate. I like 70%+ dark chocolate but the kind that feels grainy is pretty icky. It has to be really strong but creamy. I've never tried 100% unsweetened chocolate, it sounds a bit scary. :P
ReplyDeleteyummie dummies, I'm not a health freak lah! I eat potato chips and not apple chips ler! 100% is not gross, to that extent.
ReplyDeleteJust bitter and even sour, IMO.
steamy kitchen, the booze is nice. From my rate of eating chocolates, wonder if I would get drunk ;p
hehehe... tiger....I like dark chocolates too but prefer milk chocolates with nuts - Brazil nuts, macadamia, hazel, pecan.... yum yum yum.... I'm gonna eat some now, my keyboard all wet with my saliva liao!
ReplyDeleteECL, I heard you :D
ReplyDeleteI'll eat any type of chocolate - though I'm not so keen on white chocolate - I find it too sweet! And I love the chilli chocolate that I just discovered!
ReplyDeletewok and spoon, yep, too sweet!
ReplyDeleteI'm still imagining the chilli choc.
I like the way you drew a parallel between Deng Xiao Ping's remarks on the black/white cat and dark/white chocolates. Very clever of you.
ReplyDeleteI don't particular like chocolates but always end up with them for Christmas presents.
i love ghirardelli's chocolates!!!!!
ReplyDeletethose square ones, i love them.
and especially those that is dark chocolate!
amy, grainy dark choco? Was it a "reject" that miss the QC inspection? Yes, strong and creamy; bitter and not sour.
ReplyDelete100%...err...I'm already the guinea pig...you are not missing on anything. ;p
victor, hahah..your choco gifts then becomes your wife's, izit?
ReplyDeletekeropok man, I get your hint! Ghirardelli. Square ones. Okie okie.
ReplyDeleteHey, how much is it in Singapore (per unit wt) ? Help me check and tell me, can?
Gee Tiger fish... how weird? I was about to blog about chocolate after having watched a documentary on CNA during which a chef was quoted as saying that pure chocolate, by itself is good for consumption. I've read that the cocoa butter in chocolate contains oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fat which may raise good cholesterol.
ReplyDeleteIt's almost music to my ears for I really love chocolate to death. It's only when we add all the sugar and colouring that chocolate becomes sinful. Yeah, I suppose we've read it all. But chocolate, in its purest form, is bitter, i guess? I can't handle too much bitterness.... as in life... haha.
No lah. My wife doesn't like chocolates, flowers, diamond rings, overseas holidays, sports car, condos, hunks, etc. I am a very lucky man. Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteTiger! Aiyah, I thought I left a comment here a few days back, but apparently, it wasn't saved! Tzk! Was just saying that the way you describe those juicy burgers, even though I am not all that nuts about red meat, you're tempting me! :)
ReplyDeletechris, blog abt it. I want to read! Oh yes, dark chocolates are claimed (so many times)to be gOooood...
ReplyDeleteI wonder if the chef said pure chocolate, he meant 100% unsweentened, as this is really almost ultimate, to be eaten just like that.
Victor, then what she like? Just cash? Hahahhaha!
Or just your love ? ;p
shilpa, oi..this is the choco post lah. Your burger comments were saved in my burger post! Bz till u blur liow, you!
ReplyDeletethe ones we get here, all friends bring back from US ;-)
ReplyDeletesigh. the last few was eaten.
today clearing office, i was looking at the red ribbon that was tying it. sounds so kor lian hor? hahaha
nah, fridge had lots of other chocolates.
Chey...KM, I thot can get from Singapore. That's why I never buy them for my family. Usually get other chocs for them.
ReplyDeleteWah...u even keep the ribbon arh? Hahahah...me also garang guni...hahah
When I clear my cabinets in office, find strings here, boxes there....then I dunno what to do with it :O