Steaming stuffed bittergourds with pork

From the response I get here, bitter gourd is surely a "like it" or "hate it" vegetable or fruit. About 50% of you like them, and 50% don't. Besides the soup, I also cooked a steamed version. Similar to the soup, this is another easy bitter gourd dish to cook.

Steamed bitter gourd or bittermelon, stuffed with minced pork (serves 4)
Ingredients:
- 3 medium sized bitter gourd, washed, seeds removed, cut into chunks, as shown
- 1/3 to 1/2 lbs minced pork
- handful of black fungus, washed and chopped finely
- 2 stalks scallions or handful of cilantro leaves, chopped finely

marinade/seasoning (for the pork):
-1tbsp shaoxing cooking wine
-2tsp dark soy sauce
-1tsp sesame oil
-dashes of pepper
-dashes of salt
-2tsp cornflour

Method:
1. To the pork, add black fungus, scallions(or cilantro), mix well
2. Then add the marinade/seasoning to the pork, mix well. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, core the bitter gourd as shown
4. Scoop up pork and stuff into the hollow of the bitter gourd, as shown.
Note: For excess pork, can just roll them into mini pork balls and steam them together with the stuffed bitter gourd. It will only add more flavor to the gravy. No harm.
5. Steam for 15-20mins
Note: The longer you steam, the softer the bitter gourd becomes, and you get more "gravy"from the moisture in the bitter gourd, and the seasoned pork
Note: To prevent steam condensation on the bitter gourd dish, you can cover the plate of stuffed bitter gourd with a saran wrap before steaming
Note: If you prefer a soup version of this, you could. Just drop the stuffed bitter gourd into a slow-cooker, top with some water/broth and slow-cook as a soup.

Other posts:
Steamed chicken with mushrooms, ginger and spring onions
Tofu with spinach and minced pork soup


Steaming is healthy - let the natural flavors of bitter gourd and lightly seasoned pork infuse. No oil required other the the sesame oil used for seasoning.

Steaming is easy - as easy as slow-cooking. This case, you just need a steamer (I used the traditional wok for steaming), not much attention required after you put the dish into the steamer. Of course, if more than 20-25mins, you need to make sure the water used for steaming does not dry out! And do you realize if you cook it this way, there are lesser plates, and no oily pan to wash ? The plate you place your raw ingredients (i.e uncooked stuffed bitter gourds), is the plate you place into the steamer, and is the plate of food you serve and dig into.

More posts:
Bitter gourd soup
Nyonya Chap Chai - Vegetables Stew or Braised Vegetables



Tag: , , , ,

17 comments:

  1. I think I prefer hairy gourd with minced meat, but I am tempted to buy bitter gourd with fish paste to make yong tau foo soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, bittergourd is very nice! I love it, but a lot of my friends dont. haha, my mum usually cooks it as soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like them stir fry or fried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. simcooks, since the otak, have not bought any fish paste yet coz I really felt iffy abt the fish paste in R99. So you also must buy tau pok soon lah!

    zhengning, I also cooked the soup version few days ago.

    kay, yep.Think majority like them stir fried from my previous post response

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to loathe bittergourd when I was a kid but now I simply love this bitter vegetable. Perhaps its an acquired taste and also due to its highly nutritious content? What I like in particular is bittergourd cooked with eggs, or used as a vegetable in fish meat noodle. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was little, my mum used to make this - she loved it but I didn't and I haven't touched bittergourd since. Maybe I should as our tastebuds mature as we get older - I might like it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool insider, I've actually forgotten if I hated this veg when young (really no impression). I like it any style.

    wok and spoon, hahaha...from my previous posts, I gathered that some pple apparently developed some liking for this when they are older...hahah...you are right! But I don't think you could get it in Germany right? Melbourne, maybe :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to hate it too when I was little. Mom used to make me take 2 bites. "Good for you!"

    Now...hmmm....I wonder if I'll make my kids eat it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. No idea if I can get it in Germany - I can't even find an Asian grocery store here at the moment! i know you can get it easily in Paris though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right. Bitter gourd, wife love it, I hate it, so its 50/50 huh. Anyway, like simcooks, wife use hairy gourd, just for my sake. Hee hee..

    ReplyDelete
  11. steamy kitchen, you should try on your kids (oh no no they are not guinea pigs of course) so that they will grow up to like this nutritious vegetable/fruit. :D

    wok and spoon, bet you only see sausages everywhere, huh?

    fleck,I find that buys hate it more than gals, hmmmmm....
    I use hairy gourds too, but they taste completely different, and texture is different too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate this bitter gourd and never eat this...my mother used to cook this with eggs, stir-fried, I got really upset because I love eggs, but this darn gourd makes the eggs bitter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm scare of the bitter taste. I have to try it one of these days. Good for detoxification.

    ReplyDelete
  14. RM, I'm not surprised leh!
    Cos bittergourd does not fit into "sen sen kiam kiam luak luak" catetgory. LOL! I don't even eat stuffed bittergourd in your yong tau foo.
    So, did you just pick out the eggs and eat or totally avoid the dish when your mother cooks it ?;p

    ReplyDelete
  15. wokking mum, have your boy boy and girl girl tried it? I'm quite sure kids do not like this, cos it's neither sweet nor salty. Best way to detox using bittergourd is to juice them and drink it, with some honey.:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hated them as a kid but now find that I can eat them without flinching too much. Your application looks really tasty.

    My MIL says to get the smoother, younger ones as they are less bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Nate, looks like bittergourd is some food that some pple will grow "not-to-hate" as the taste buds mature. :D

    Thks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete