Strawberries coated in Deep Dark Chocolate, with Deep Dark Chocolate Stacks

Dark chocolates: antioxidant - flavonoids/flavanols
Strawberries: antioxidant - polyphenols, flavonoids and anthocyanins
Cereals (especially whole-grain-wheat- and oat-based): antioxidants - phenolics

Have a variety of each; and a combination of them like this:


Luscious Red Strawberries coated in Deep Dark Chocolate
Ingredients: strawberries, dark chocolates(at least 70% dark-type), and cereals (Note: remember to keep those remaining crumbs when you finished that pack of cereals. Don't waste! Start accumulating today!)

How-to:
1. The only time- and effort- worthy step you need here is the melting of the chocolates
(Note: Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof container/cup/bowl, above a pot of hot, non-simmering/non-boiling water - double boiler method, over the stove top. Stir chocolate until smooth, then remove from heat).
2. Combine 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate with some dark chocolate truffle (half-half ratio) for the melted chocolate.
(Note: This was one way to salvage that unsweetened chocolate - by adding another dark (but not 100%, at least 70% will do) chocolate to revive that hint of sweet!)
3. Get ready some of your favorite breakfast cereals
(Note: preferably whole-grain, whole-wheat); and crush them in a Ziploc bag if the cereals are in chucks. Next, give the strawberries a light rinse and dab dry with paper towel.
4. Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate (whole-dipped or half-dipped, your preference) and when the coated chocolate on the strawberries start to turn less viscous (define as: no-dripping no matter how you hold the strawberry), dip the chocolate-coated strawberries in the cereals and then fridge immediately for cooling and hardening of the chocolate.

This dessert or even snack is an antioxidant rich food(ARF) and it's going to Sweetnicks ARF/5-a-day.

Deep Dark Chocolate Stacks
Of course, you could also make some chocolate stacks using just cereals and remaining chocolate. While chocolate is still in melted stage, stir in the cereals slowly till the cereals get clumped up in chocolate! With a teaspoon, scoop the cereals up (teaspoon size), then fridge immediately.


Tag: , , , , ,

32 comments:

  1. Very Nice!
    Aphrodisiacally, Strawberries and Chocolate are the best food in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate covered strawberries, it's good to know they're full of antioxidants. :) I like that you covered them with cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D they're always in the adverts around Valentine every year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting combo - strawberries and cereal. But I suppose if you can have strawberries and other fruits in your bowl of cereal, you can have cereal on your strawberries too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chocolates and strawberries. But I don't like chocolate covered strawberries. Maybe I haven't had the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos look fabulous though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. U have the best of both worlds. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiger- your pics are seducing me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a Godiva shop here that sells strawberry covered with chocolate. I think they are over $1 each. My daughter won't eat fruits but she will eat strawberries if it is covered with chocolate. I buy costco chocolate and heat up in the microwave, medium heat in 30 seconds interval for 2 minutes and dip strawberries in it. It will get thick if the strawberries are wet. Tigerfish, thanks for this post. Gives me an idea for upcoming week's healthy dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute and pretty...you can open a Godiva when you return to Singapore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My my....it would be nice if i could have some for dessert now. Sadly, strawberries here costs a bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wah! the strawberries looked so inviting! So pretty and so red! Are they sweet?

    arrrgggh... feel like eating chocolates again to perk up. See lah, you! hehehe.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yumyum!
    If only these are right in front ofme now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are luxurious!
    I love strawberries dipped in chocolate but haven't made them in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  15. expedited writer, I only associate aphrodisiac food with raw oysters ;p

    amy, coz I have leftover cereals. If not, chocolate (dark ones...must emphasize) covered strawberries would be just fine.

    hedgehog, now you can make these for your beau and not pay for over-priced ones during Valentine's Day ;p

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow.. i think i shud refrain myself from browsing thru ur blog.. i got attracted by the chocolate coated starwberry then i continue to browse thru ur older post.. now i hv a craving for chocolate fondue thou juz taken lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good post and nice pic!! Thanks for dropping btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lyrical lemongrass, yes, as you like it! But I actually don't put fruits in my cereals since I have cereals with milk and I don't like fruits in milk.:O

    ming merciless, are the commercial ones too sweet for you? Just realized I have not tasted any commercial ones before. They always looked too sweet for me.
    But since I'm doing them myself, I would get the dark chocolate(and I could get my favorite darks).
    They are definitely a better choice for those strawberries. You like those photos? Just playing with my food, that day :D ...but thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. omnivore, now I know strawberries and chocolates belong to two different worlds! LOL!

    steamykitchen, welcome to The. Dark.Side. LOL! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  20. leeping, so expensive!?!?! I've never tried costco chocs before. I could not eat those 100% unsweetened as-is, so have
    to work things out the non-baking route. And the 100% unsweetened was totally rescued! Thks for your microwave tip! I can try it
    next time. Think it's faster.

    RM, Godiva in Sg no business wan ler. I always see them pa bang. I never stepped in before too :O
    I think pple prefer to eat fresh ones (chocolate covered strawberries) in a choco fondue. Max Brenner has it but
    soooo....expensive.

    Precious Pea, I don't find strawberries cheap in US too. I have to check out the price again when strawberries are in season.
    But there are more choices of affordable tropical fruits in Malaysia and Sg-like papaya and durians ...:D

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh boy look at that! those look DELICIOUS and hoe pretty too. save some for me ok?

    ReplyDelete
  22. ECL, as sweet as those Sg ones loh. I thought you can 望梅止渴 ...

    zhengning, they are right in front of you, virtually only. ;p
    Very easy to make lah, you can make it yourself. Trust me.

    patricia, does it sound like...time to make them now? :D

    zee zee, just taken lunch? Just in time for dessert ! :D Thks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tigerfish,
    Send some of those down my way! :)

    Jinx again! I just ate dark chocolate too but in a Mexican mole sauce. We're culinary soul mates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty pictures of strawberries covered with chocolate!

    I got a box of strawberries @ only $1.29 from Ranch 99 yesterday... the cheapest I have ever paid for strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wandering Chopsticks, when I make a new batch, I will! Do I need dry ice? Styrofoam packaging? etc
    We are a cookin' spooky blogging pair...:O

    simcooks, so cheap?!?!! Aiya...by the time I go, sure no more liow! And what are you doing in R99 during their super-crowded weekend? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sour world vs Bitter world! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  27. reminds me of the shop at Esplanade that sells, but i have never bought them though.

    yours actually look so much better!
    i think its because you all get fresher strawberries over there.

    ah... the more i look at it, the more i want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. aria, I finished them all :O
    Ok...till I made new ones again.

    ReplyDelete
  29. omnivore, sour and bitter...that's not the best, other than from the food and eating world :O

    ReplyDelete
  30. keropok man, I think I know which one you talking about. They always lelong the choc coated strawberries at the shop entrance.

    Got free sample to taste before you buy or not? If got tasting, then taste first, good then buy. If not, I don't think safe to buy cos (1) dunno what chocs they use; (2) strawberries sour or VERY sour also dunno...right?

    You can go Max Brenner(if still there in the Esplanade) and eat fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate fondue !

    ReplyDelete
  31. Need hubby to carry heavy stuff that's why! I bought 2x 4.5 kg sacks of rice, lots of fruits (apples, oranges, chinese pears) for the week. They are really heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. simcooks...wah...bi tang (rice bucket) arh! Heehee...that's one way to pull them out of their "comfort zone". But it's really heavy.

    ReplyDelete