Vegetable Curry - Cauliflower, Cabbage and Pea Curry (serves 4)
Ingredients:
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
-2 tsps curry powder
-2tsp chili pasta
-1 tsp ground turmeric
-1 tsp ground coriander
-1 small head of cabbage
-1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
-1 cup frozen peas
-1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas
-~1cup coconut milk, adjust according, in ratio with broth or water
-~1cup broth
Method:
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook onion, garlic, curry powder, turmeric, chilli paste, and coriander together until onion is soft and the mixture is fragrant - about 2mins. Add the peas, and garbanzo beans and coconut milk and broth/stock.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10mins. Add the cauliflower and cabbage and simmer further until sauce has reduced or cabbage and cauliflower soften, then season to taste.
3. Serve with cooked rice, or any Indian oven-baked breads such as naan
Eat the Right Stuff is celebrating UK's National Vegetarian Week. I'm dedicating this vegetable curry as a vegetarian dish for this event.
Other posts:
Indonesian curry - Sayur Lodeh - Vegetables in coconut-based curry gravy
Thai-based- Tom yum glass noodles
S'pore curry - Prata, pratha and curry
Indian fish curry
Japanese curry don
Tag: vegetables, vegetarian, cauliflower, garbanzo, curry, cauliflower curry, masala
Ooh, yummy!
ReplyDeleteGoes well with fried bee hoon!
ReplyDeletenate 2.0, do you like indian curry ?
ReplyDeleteomnivore, why fried bee hoon leh ? Hmmmm....indians don't eat vege curry with fried bee hoon leh :O
But hor...maybe can be my next new creation hor *lol*
forget following the recipe. I'm just going to come by and pick up a plate if you don't mind
ReplyDeletethanks I'm hungry
You are too funny! Where in the world do you find the time to cook and write so much!?!
ReplyDeleteI normally throw tofu into a veggie curry as well. My dad has this idea that if a meal doesn't have either fish/meat/tofu in it then it's not filling enough lol. I guess that silly way of thinking has rubbed on me. I rarely cooked veg on its own but I'll probably give it a try sometime.
ReplyDeleteMy hubby loves sayur lodeh. He eats vegetarian curry with fried beehoon every 1st and 15th of the Lunar month. He's a pious Buddhist. I'm a NATO Christian. hehehe.....
ReplyDeletelooks delish, tigerfish!
ReplyDeletethanks for getting involved in vegetables, beautiful vegetables
I love cauliflower curry!
ReplyDeleteTigerfish, I love the color of this dish, I'm hungry and it's lunch time here in Sao Paulo now! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are dancing around the coconut tree again? :D
ReplyDeleteHaha. You're so silly! Sub potatoes for the cauliflower and you'll have aloo gobi. :)
ReplyDeletejackson, yep, this is quite easy to cook :D
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletejaden, this post is rather short compared to my other earlier posts that were more cheong hei (long-winded) ;p
ReplyDeleteGetting lazier nowadays - my posts are getting shorter and shorter.
Yup, I find cooking and writing (resultant = bloggin') takin' up a lot of time.
Sometimes, I even have to think of what to write, in my sleep :O
hedgehog, I've done that before :D Tofu can always be a good substitute of meat/fish
if you want a vegetarian dish. Hmmm....you reminded me to throw in some tofu - okie, next time. ;p
ECL, oh....but this one not sayur lodeh leh....this one more like indian vege curry.
Now I know why omnivore gets the idea of fried bee hoon with curry, liow lah.
I also like that kind of curry(the non-indian kind) with bee hoon. kekekek....
abby, thks for hosting such a healthy event :D
ReplyDeletefreya and paul, curry and indian spices flavor up cauliflower well. I love that too :)
patricia, is yellow your favorite color? You just made a dessert-snack with corn...
YELLOW!!!
simcooks, where to find coconut tree here ? *lol*
wandering chopsticks, hahah...I almost wanted to add in potatoes, but my pot was too small! :O
Next time, next time, aloo gobi :D
One of my fav dishes for many rounds in Indian-style buffets. Yumz...
I've been looking for veggie recipes that I can cook big batches of to use for lunches and sides when I am dieting. Think this one might fit the bill, especially if I use the low fat coconut milk.
ReplyDeleteukzoe, yep...this is good dish to consider. Well, you can even omit the coconut milk if you want to...just that you will get a drier version-less gravy.
ReplyDeleteI tried it without coconut milk too...it works! :D
I don't have very many ways to cook cauliflower, I'll have to try this! :)
ReplyDeleteamy, let me know if you like it :D ...it's more of a indian-curry flavor.
ReplyDeleteHi there. I tried this for dinner tonight and really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of notes. First, the directions say to add chili paste with the onions, but chili paste isn't listed as an ingredient. How much is appropriate? Second, this dish was a little bland until I added a fair amount of salt and some extra curry powder.
Thanks for the great recipe!
anonymous, thks for spotting that error of chili pasta being missing in the ingredient list. I guess 1-2tsps shd be apt but it really depends on how spicy you like it. 2tsps is not spicy according to my threshold. On blandness (again that is sometimes personal preference), yes..you could add more curry powder or salt according to your taste buds.
ReplyDeleteThanks for pointing out. It would be helpful to some readers who wish to try it out.