Mango Slushy - A great hot-weather pick-me-up !

It was unseasonally warm this week. I want something cold! Please give me something icy cold! Of course, I had a tub of italian chocolate gelato in my freezer but I did not want to finish the gelato so soon. I am the "chipmunk" in the house, known for keeping and storing food, especially snacks, not because I don't want to eat them, just because I can't stand the feeling of running out of something snacks.

Okie. I decided to make a icy-cold mango slushy as a hot-weather pick-me-up! Lots of crushed ice, a mangoe and a small pomelo/grapefruit.

Mango slushy, mango drink/dessert (serve 2)
How to: Blend/puree half the quantity of mangoes slices, and keep the rest in slices. Mix the crushed ice with the mango puree, add in remaining mango slices, and drop in few slices of sweet pomelo/grapefruit. Serve icy-cold in cocktail glass or a dessert bowl.

My ARF/5-a-day entry for Sweet Nicks.

How I cut a mango:


Other posts:
Strawberries and kiwis edible flowers
Strawberries coated in deep dark, with chocolate stacks
Snow fungus, ginkgo and barley dessert


Tag: , , , , , ,

20 comments:

  1. Hi Chipmunk, Is your mango from R99? It looks really sweet and "meaty".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoard those snacks!

    ... I do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i cut mango like that i just eat from the skin :) no fair...it's not very hot here yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually a very informative blog, especially to beginners. A month ago, I had invited our church pastor to our home. After dinner, I took a few pomelo and a knife. I started to use the knife and cut the pomelo into slices. Juices flowed out and after minutes of "agony", with politeness the pastor said, "Lee Ping, you are very attentive to details, we just peel our pomelos".

    ReplyDelete
  5. simcooks, this one was less sweet than the one I featured in the halibut dish. That one(Peru Mango) was from Olsen Cherry(not cheap, though). This one, I think I got from SF. Not as sweet and much cheaper. The only mangoes I saw and bought from R99 are manila mangoes. Sweet but no meat and very fibrous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. chubbypanda, yes, I'm still doing it and will do it. *lol*
    No one can stop me. Mr. TF wants to ransack all the pantry cabinets and
    find out where I keep my snacks now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. eliza, yep! I just eat those meaty cubes from the skin.
    Nah...you won't like it so hot. I prefer the 60F-ish temp.:D

    lee ping, my mom does it this way, so I followed.:D
    If you peel the pomelo like this, it should work. But if you peel a grapefruit this way- there will still be juices flowing out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tiger, I put all my snacks next to my recliner hehe, very reachable, and if tt's not enough, the kitchen got somemore hehe..:) btw, the pomelo skin, you can use that to braise some kinda meat dish, very yummy too, bit citrusy n light :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you seen the mango pitters on the market? How ingenious!
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7090897/index.cfm?pkey=cctlfvgi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... so this is the way they cut the mango and peel the pomelo! I used to wonder how people cut the mango into this shape...

    ReplyDelete
  11. MW, wah...got recliner somemore, enjoy life har :D
    Yep, I have some out in the open, some in the kitchen, and even some under the bed...*lol*
    Thks for the pomelo skin tip! Shall not waste it next time. I thought maybe you will ask me to keep the skin for some red bean paste dessert...they use orange skin for that. Wonder if pomelo skin can substitute...heh heh..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicki, cool gadget! Do you own one?

    omnivore, use small paring knife can do the job.
    But look at the gadget my reader Vicki just linked to...cool, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hoard my snacks too! Then I forget about them, they expire or go bad or whatever and then I'm sad. lol. Your mango and pomelo slushie looks so refreshing. I can't wait to try it this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds yummy! I love mango ice-cream and mango sorbet. So I can imagine how delicious this dessert is.

    And I love grapefruit and pomelo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks extremely refreshing--and healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today, went out for Mother's Day lunch. We had mango puree like that, but now I know what they miss out! The did not put in the Pomelo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thats my fav dessert of all time, mango slushy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. amy, hahah....that's what has happened to me sometimes too! So I TRY..to remember.
    Try this summer dessert!

    ming merciless, the mango dessert actually goes better with pomelo but it's easier
    to find grapefruit than pomelo here. So grapefruit is the next alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Urban Vegan, it is refreshing! Esp when the weather is hot! Thks for visiting:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. keropok man, for this dessert, I was inspired by Curry Favor...they even put
    aloe vera cubes in theirs...for that I omitted.

    zeezee, woohoo....get even get brain freeze sometimes, esp on the first mouthful ;p

    ReplyDelete