Rice roll, chee cheong fun - steamed or fried ?

A lady with a push-cart comes out from the dim-sum kitchen and shouts out "cheong fun...cheong fun" in Cantonese. Would you wave your hand at her just to get a steaming hot plate of chee cheong fun (aka rice rolls)? Do you like yours with roasted pork(char siew, in cantonese) filling or shrimp/prawn (har, in cantonese) filling, or just plain?

The below venture is not from outer space. I'm just not sure how common it is. I only could get this back in the wet-market/hawker center breakfast stalls back in Singapore. My dad used to tapow (打包, meaning as take-away, or to-go) from Marine Parade wet market.

From memory, this is a very simple dish - chee cheong fun stir fried with preserved turnips (菜脯, aka chai por, in hokkien), dried shrimps, and green onions. The "road less travelled" to eat rice rolls, chee cheong fun. But I tell you, it's delicious!


Stir fry rice rolls, chee cheong fun (serves 2)
Ingredients:
-1 pack ready-made rice rolls, chee cheong fun (already cooked but cold), cut them to bite size
-2tsp dried shrimps, pre-soaked in water
-2tsp dried anchovies, pre-soaked in water
-2tsp preserved turnips (菜脯, aka chai por , in hokkien)- you see it most commonly used in egg with preserved turnips- 菜脯蛋)
-some dark soy sauce (option)
-4 stalks spring onions, cut into 0.5cm lengths for frying and garnish
-1tbsp fried shallots
-1-2 eggs, whisked

Method:
1. Heat oil in frying pan and fry the dried shrimps, anchovies and preserved turnips till aromatic and slightly crisp
2.Add in rice rolls and half the quantity of spring onions, fry and mix well, about 3-5mins
3.Add in whisked egg, then fry and mix well with the rice rolls, about 2mins
4. Garnish with remaining spring onions and fried shallots, and serve warm, as breakfast or lunch. Some preserved green chili will be the best condiment. Yummy!

Related noodles posts:
Teppanyaki style stir fry udon
Wat dan hor - rice noodles with seafood and egg gravy sauce
Beef kway teow - fried rice noodles with beef


Tag: , ,

34 comments:

  1. tiger, I like using preserved turnips in stir-fries too, especially with noodles :) Definitely 2 thumbs up for this ccf stir-fry !

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know what...that reminds me of the chee cheong fun they back home at one of those hawker centers. I love them in all forms, my favorite is HK chee cheong fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to order:
    1 steamed
    1 fried
    then I don't have to decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks not too oily though it is stir fried. =)
    Did u eat it with a sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is like chai tow kway, chee cheong fun style :p

    I found a recipe to make chee-cheong fun from scratch. Will post the results after I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner! With lots of chilis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate homemade noodles today. :) But I think they were made with wheat flour, a little doughy, but very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum! I love cheong fun, your stir fry looks delicious. I usually get the shrimp ones from dimsum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my CCF the steam type.. where you can get them in hawkers .. near your friendly neighbourhood HDB flat.
    with lots of sweet sauce.. and sesame seed toasted.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting style of cooking chee cheong fun - frying instead of steaming. I wonder if the texture of the rice rolls still remain the same or they would have become harder and more crispy in the effect?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen it stir-fried like this before. It looks delicious -- sorta like kiuh tiaw/mai fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen stir fried ones too!

    I like the steam ones. I like both char siew or prawns ones. The best is to have those 2 in 1, hehe...

    (ps shilpa eat very little one leh... )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm... may I have it for tomorrow breakfast please? :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. *eye-opened-wide-wide* Din noe chee cheong fun can stir-fried. looks like carrot-cake, wonder how it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  15. yums! chee cheong fun with eggs? looks good la. where can buy? or really have to make this myself:P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wah, never seen before. Looks so delicious!

    ~Hakkahouse

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must say I've never tried this style before. It does look delicious, though. Next time, I'll try cooking this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like char kueh, only thing is that chee cheong fun is used and not radish cake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. MW, I like preserved turnips in eggs, best...and eat them with porridge/congee :D

    the expedited writer, I love HK ccf! But this stir-fry is distinctively different.
    I hardly see them, except back in Sg, and just at one particular stall.

    Jaden, haha...just as fickle-minded as I am. Ok, a sampler for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. omnivore, I did not put a lot of oil, so no wok hei ;p
    Sauce ? Can put chilli sauce loh! But I ate it with green chili.

    simcooks, taste totally different. One is radish taste, one is "rice" taste *lol*
    I saw a pgm and oh my, making authentic ccf is so so difficult - that I can't describe. Good luck!
    Basically you have to handle everything while STEAMING HOT!
    You have to use ...err...pour the rice-mix to a steaming base, cover with a big cover/lid, count to 10, remove the lid,add your "liow", do the "roti-prata" flip, then roll up fast. At some point, need to use some kind of "cloth" to assist u! :O

    wok and spoon, chilli queen! ccf for dinner can't fill a hungry me!

    wandering chopsticks, doughy noodles usually gives a chewy texture! That's good homemade noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chee cheong fun stir fried using "carrot cake method"?

    Do they sell this anywhere? Look nice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. The recipe I found no need to use cloth. Hehe. Yeah I need luck. My friend tried the recipe and said it's difficult to get the thin texture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Quite oily leh! I prefer mine steamed, covered with the sweet sauce and sesame seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Throw in some chilli padi, this ccf would be perfect. Is this your own concoction? Din i say you creative when it comes to food? Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know.. sometimes I hate reading your blog right before lunch time. My stomach always starts rumbling with hunger. I've gotta give this recipe a try!

    By the way, I updated my blog with my trip to Westford :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh yeah.. I was also going to ask if "fun cheung" is a bad word in Cantonese? Hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  27. this looks yummy... I'm debating if I should order the stir-fried or steamed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen rice rolls in the store but I didn't know what you did with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never tried it lidat, looks very yummilicious.

    ReplyDelete
  30. amy, I am always fickle about choosing the filling -char siew or shrimp...hmmmm.... :p

    mamabok, hee hee....I know what you are talking about. Usually sold with Or kueh
    with lots of sweet sauce and toasted sesame seed ...wooo...talking about it makes me so hungry now!!

    cool insider, the rice rolls I bought were cold and not-soft, to start with. Yep, I reckon steaming might soften the ccf, when it's stir-fried - it's not as soft as steamed ccf. Different texture.

    ming the merciless, yes...,more like kiuh tiaw stir-fry! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  31. keropok man, hahaha....if those dim sum ccf plates comes 2-in-1 (char siew and shrimp in separate rolls but on the same plate, of course!), I would have it, surely!

    windy, heee heee...too late by the time I've seen your order. :O I've finished everything!!!


    zeezee, taste like kway teow fried with chai po, dried shrimps ...hee hee...like or not? no need eye open big big...your eyes so big liow!

    winn, I don't know where to buy - ccf fried with eggs. I know where I can buy this in Sg, but in US have to DIY! Luckily I got ready made ccf and did not have to make the ccf from scratch!

    hakka house, difficult to see this around, I bet. Not so common, even in Sg.:D

    lyrical lemongrass, I thought those with curries (those you posted in your blog before) looks even better. I was reminded of stir-frying this after seeing your ccf post and pix that has lotsa heibi -dried shrimps
    sprinkled on top of the ccf :D

    pablopabla, hahah...you're half-right! But it tastes quite different!

    dk, marine parade! But I don't know which stall which market! :O

    simcooks, you have patience, can lah! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  32. ECL, me too! But if not fresh in the first place, I rather fry it, lightly. I love fresh food, steamed, where ever possible. Else, frying lightly "kills" and "hides" the "unfresh" taste :O

    chris, is that you ?
    I don't know if it's my own but I tasted ccf fried with chaipo and served with preserved green chilli before. Very nice!

    jadedone, my Cantonese is quite bad....hmmm....not sure if it's a bad word :O
    Any Cantonese to help here? Hello? Hello!

    mandira, order the sampler and have both :D

    sara, you could steam them and eat them with some kind of sauce or even curry.
    Alternatively, you could fry them like you would with rice noodles or vermicelli ?

    firehorse, hee hee...not very common, right? I knew it! The originator (not me) is the creative one!

    ReplyDelete
  33. YUmz..i love this dish especially with lots of choy bou! Dipped with XO sauce...nice nice nice.

    ReplyDelete
  34. precious pea, hahah...you are the ONLY one who knows this dish with choy bou! Where did you have it ?

    ReplyDelete