Spicy italian sausage with pasta - letting the brain decode the taste sensory

I enjoyed the Conchiglie Salsiccia here - combination of italian sausage with shelled pasta, and tried replicating it at home. After oinking all over here, I did remember to allow my taste buds send some taste signals to my brain, and then let the brain decipher and decode the main ingredients that will go into this dish. Tomato-based sauce, italian sausages, and green leafy vegetables - YES! Thanks, brain. You go to "screen saver" mode now, and let my taste sensory and my hands take over.

Substituted shelled pasta(aka conchiglie) with rotini (the curly whirly- rotini, fusilli, spirali, they're all in the same gang), and used some spicy italian sausage (store-bought, of course). And you thought I was challenged enough to make my own sausage with casings ? Nah...my brain did not ask me to do that. My brain says...I'm not up to the challenge.

This is my entry for Presto Pasta Night.

Pasta with Spicy Italian Sausage (serve 2)
Ingredients:
-1/2lb pasta, cooked according to instructions (I used rotini)
-~4 cooked italian chicken sausages, cubed
-handfuls of baby spinach
-2cups marinara sauce, adjust amount accordingly while cooking
-red chilli pepper flakes, to taste
-black pepper, to taste

Method:
1.Heat some olive oil in frying pan and saute the sausages, about 3mins to warm them up since they are already cooked
2.Add the marinara sauce, and stir well
3.Add baby spinach, and mix well
4. As soon as mixture starts to simmer, add in the cooked pasta and mix well. Do not overcook the spinach
5. Serve immediately with sprinkle of parmigiano-reggiano


Other posts:
Lemon linguine
Teppanyaki style stir-fry udon
Linguine vongole
Beef and mushroom bolognese
Pasta ala Bak Chor Mee


Tag: , ,

25 comments:

  1. it looks so yummy! The hubby is entering into a food competition at work (he's a chef) which asks for a quick yet tasty recipe that can also be heated up and I thought this recipe fits quite nicely into the category. The pasta should be fine with being heated up but I'm not too sure if the baby spinach would be ok heated up though. I'll suggest this to the hubby and see what he thinks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good, so quick, who could ask for more. It's my usual kind of pasta when I don't know what to make. Sometimes I throw in some shrimp too.

    Thanks so much for bringing it to Presto Pasta Nights. Check back for the roundup tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't cooked spinach with pasta before. Did the spinach go ok with this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hedgehog, wooohooo...your hubby is a chef. This is quick and easy but your worry about spinach may be right.

    Once heated up, spinach tend to become mushy and lose more nutrients.:(
    Find some substitutes eg non-leafy greens ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohh, yummy! I love pasta with sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth, spot on! This is relatively easy to make (without having to make my own sausages...*lol*) .
    Thks for the tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son, Andrew is sitting next to me and he said, "Mommy can we have that instead of chicken?" I *was* cooking chicken for dinner and now he wants pasta. (sigh) Tigerfish, can we hire you to cook for us?

    ReplyDelete
  8. simcooks, yes...but must use those baby spinach, not those chinese spinach from Asian supermarket. And don't overcook them. I think the dish in Pasta Pomodora uses spinach too, if I'm not wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chicken sausages! That's pretty interesting. Actually, they kind of look a little like tofu cubes! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pasta with Italian sausage. It looks so delicious! I didn't make any pasta this week, I need my pasta fix. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even with that discount for Pasta Pomodoro that you drew our attention to earlier, I think I'd rather make your delicious pasta creations instead! They look and sound so much better than anything I could get at Pasta Pomodoro!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooo..

    it looks quite easy to make eh?
    maybe i shall make this dish too, thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. keropok man knows how to cook too??
    Wah.. looks like i m the only one who always survive on instant noodle.

    Hey tigerfish, looks like u plan to snatch some customer away from Pasta Pomodoro.

    ReplyDelete
  14. freya and paul, I was not sure sausages could be combine this way with pasta till I had it at
    the restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. steamykitchen, hahahha..I could exchange "roles" with andrew just for a day. I have the chicken(I know it's going to be good), he
    gets the pasta(though it will not be as good as Mommy's), how about it? Then we have our version of "Trading Food" as media next biggest reality TV. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  16. wokandspoon, tofu cubes! You have great imagination! Hey, that could make it vegetarian pasta ;p

    amy, hahaha..pasta comes good once in a while, right ?

    passionate eater, sound like you have a bad experience at Pasta Pomo? Actually, I'm more in favor of their lunch. No lasting impression on dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. keropok man,easy easy, but bolognese is also relatively easy.
    Where do you get your italian sausages? There's a great selection of sausages here compared to what I can get in Sg. And some of them are more "natural"...no nitrates!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tummy!
    I love spinach but have never made pasta with it - such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. zeezee, don't "play play" with keropok man arh, he can cook well you know. :p

    You just eat plain instant noodles? Brazil has Asian groceries or not?
    You are too funny lah you...the only customer I snatch away from Pasta Pomodoro is MYSELF! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  20. patricia, yummy in the tummy! It's right! No correction needed!

    chubbypanda, a yummy tummy makes the brain happy!

    Hohoho....
    I like this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. good one tiger, sometimes so tired of stir-frying spinach plain, this goes perfect with a pasta dish like this, simply toss them in, quick stir-fry, kow tim !:) ..wahh, I'm starring at those sausages hehe n the cheese, yumyum :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. MW, the sausages are sun-dried tomatoes and basil chicken sausages. Yummy! Ya lor, easy kow tim one-dish all-in-one meal , with carbo, proteins and fiber!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's good to know another way of making pasta. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete