Snow white halibut and the seven dwarfs (tofu, mushrooms, spring onions, red chili, cilantro, fried shallots, and the light sweet-savory gravy juices)
Steamed halibut/cod fillets (serve 2)
Ingredients:
- one medium size halibut (can use cod fillets too...as good)
-1 block silken/soft tofu, cut to thin square or rectangles
-1 pack buna shimeji mushrooms
-2 stalks spring onions, slice to small pieces; 1tbsp for seasoning, the remaining for garnish
-handful of cilantro leaves, chopped finely
-2 red chili (remove seeds if you prefer mild spicy), sliced to small pieces
-fried shallots
Marinade/seasoning (for fish):
-2tsps cooking wine
-2tsp crushed ginger
-dashes of sesame oil
-1tsp dark soy sauce
-1tbsp of the chopped spring onions above
Method:
1. Mix the seasoning and smear them on the fish fillet before steaming
2.Follow this: Layer tofu on bottom of plate; top with mushrooms and some spring onions, place seasoned fish on top of tofu and mushrooms, and steam for abt 10-15mins (depending on thickness of fish)
Note: Steam the fish, with the plate covered over, with a saran wrap or a cover to prevent excess condensation of the steam on the fish. The fish dish will not dry out. On the contrary, you will be surprised to find hint of sweet-savory gravy juices being produced in the steaming process - moisture for the the gravy probably came from partially, the fish; and substantially, the tofu.
3. Garnish with red chili, remaining spring onions, cilantro, fried shallots. All these add to the flavors too.
Snow white halibut and the seven dwarfs (tofu, mushrooms, spring onions, red chili, cilantro, fried shallots, and the light sweet-savory gravy juices)!
A good fish substitute is cod fillet. I like this dish so much that I tried it with Alaskan cod fillets and it worked just as well, if not better. Cod could be better(personal preference) because the flesh is not as firm as halibut and gives a softer-flakier texture.
(I did not take pictures of the steamed cod though since there are already halibut pictures to show, and both the fishes look exactly the same on photos!)
Pure white, snow white - even the gravy juice is crystal clear. Yep, I called it juice because it's the combination of juices from the mushrooms, tofu and fish.
*Terms and conditions:
(1) Delicious, only limited to halibut and cod fillets
(2) Halibut and cod fillets to be wild-caught
(3) Halibut and cod fillets to be frozen (once) at source
(4) Halibut and cod fillets to be Alaskan
(5) Halibut, preferable but not limited to Trident Seafood's Alaskan Halibut; Cod, preferable but not limited to Trader Joes's Alaskan Cod.
(P.S. If you were just squinching your eyes, I'm sorry but terms and conditions usually needs to be in fine-print, right?)
Limited to terms and conditions, else warranty for delicious steamed fillets not guaranteed. As you know, it's a fish after all, and the term "fishy business" does not come from no where. So, where steaming a fish is concerned, and if you wish to try this recipe, better be rigid and stick to the terms of the "contract". Sign on dotted line....NOW!!!
But if you lucky enough to be able to get fresh fish (by fresh, meaning fishes swimming in a tank), have the helper at the supermarket catch one by the net for you, and kill it right in front of you eyes, you can try Simcooks or MeltingWok, who have procured their fish live from the tank.
Related posts:
Halibut-Pan fried
Salmon - Grilled/baked
Tilapia - in a curry
Fish fillet - in pesto
Fish paste - grilled in banana leaves
Tag: fish, halibut, steamed fillet, steamed halibut, seafood
Eh... what is "saran wrap"? Sounds like the bad guy (Sauron) from Lord of the Rings.
ReplyDeleteHehe. I can't read your fine print so I demand my money back! I just made fish for lunch. VNese braised claypot fish though.
ReplyDeleteI love steam fish but rarely get it because I eat out alone a lot. And it's hard to order a whole fish for one.
ReplyDeleteYour recipe looks great, easy and perfect for one. May try it...MAY being the operative word. :-)
Not much of a cook here.
i can almost smell the steamed fish from here! yum!!! it's so hard to get fresh fish here in Frankfurt!
ReplyDeletei always have frozen cod fillets in the freezer but my imagination is only limited and the only thing I've ever done with fish is to pan fry it with salt and pepper. It goes really dry though don't you think? Did you really steam it from frozen? Is it safer to defrost it first?
ReplyDeleteI once steamed fish that had been in the freezer for a year. Didn't taste that great but it was really freezer burned.
ReplyDeleteYour fish dish looks delicious!
wow, another use for frozen fish fillets and shimeji mushrooms.
ReplyDeleteThis is how I steam fish too!!! Love the sauce from steaming. Makes the plain tofu really yummy!!
ReplyDeleteHealthy dish wor! I'll have to make do with frozen fish. Lazy to go looking around for fresh ones. Some more so expensive.
ReplyDeletesimcooks, saran wrap is Sauron's cloak. Then Saran was trademarked. :D
ReplyDeleteYou are too creative, I love the name and the presentation of this dish...perfecto. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of Mr. Hali But!!!
ReplyDeleteLOL!!
since I moved here, I almost forget what the fresh fish tastes like, keekeee. But agree with you, some frozen fish can still make an excellent dish, will try out cod first then :)
ReplyDeleteI love steamed fish, the things you added to it sounds really good. and Lol at the fine print. :P
ReplyDeletewandering chopsticks, that don't happen in real life. Go find a magnifying glass! There is no refund.
ReplyDeleteBraised claypot fish sounds good - what fish did you use ?
ming the merciless, oh yes - a fillet for one with some tofu and mushrooms makes a good meal :) ....there is not much cooking required in this dish...that's the miracle of steaming. Just remember to read the fine-print carefully before you try this recipe.lol
ReplyDeletewokandspoon, I hardly get fresh fish from the tank too. :) ...what kind of fish are common over there?
hedgehog, cod flakes quite easily so I seldom pan-fry cod fillets. But I've eaten pan-fried cod fillets and I know they taste good too :D ...anyway, pan-fry or steam, the good thing about cod is, you don't have to use much seasonings for flavor, right ?
ReplyDeleteFrom frozen to thawed, I steamed it! You must defrost first in the fridge (from the freezer).
freya and paul, how did the fish manage to survive so long in your freezer? What fish was it?
nate 2.0, not all frozen fish fillets work.
wokking mum, yes..the gravy/sauce very good right? Makes the whole dish so yummy without use of much seasonings.
ReplyDeleteECL, you can get fresh fish so easily don't get, aiya! Halibut and cod fillets are not cheap here, either.
You must eat fresh one lah, fresh = sheng (rise); then rise in stocks/shares for you to make $$$ mah!
bee yinn, you are the creative one lah, not me. :) ...but I really like the taste of this dish.
ReplyDeletejaden, don't let your Husband know about this, about Mr. Hali But.
ReplyDeleteif not, the Headline: Man killed tigerfish with steam!!!
gattina, yes yes try the cod first. I thought cod works better for this dish, actually. But it's really personal preference - if you prefer softer or firmer texture.
amy, the added ingredients "sweeten" up the gravy juices, and with the garnishes, they complement and pair up so well :D
how come it looks so freshly healthy vegetarian not fishoromatic ? Thats what they say about cooks and then great cooks right ?
ReplyDeleteTigerfish, when I say "fresh" fish, I don't even mean fish out of the tank - just fish that hasn't been processed - fish that you get at the fish shop or fish mongers. There are no fish shops nearby! I haven't seen any fish shops around at all! And even the fish section in the supermarket is really miserable. Just a few slices of really brown tuna - urghgh. I guess the only fish in Frankfurt is sausage!
ReplyDeleteHay this is looking so good...Nice colourful recipe...Love it..
ReplyDeleteteambsg, errr....cooks "deceived" with presentation izit? ;p
ReplyDeletewokandspoon, you can make fish sausage in Frankfurt and call it otak otak! Frankfurtak! LOL!
sukanya ramkumar, thks! Welcome to visit me more often.
I have a question about a recipe, and I'm not sure if this is the same one but here goes.
ReplyDeleteMy mom used to make whole steamed fish and pour hot oil all over it before serving. Do you know how hot the oil should be before I pour it on the fish?
jadedone, if you're asking about the temperature, I don't know :O
ReplyDeleteBut I believe it should be as hot as oil used for deep-frying?
tigerfish,
ReplyDeleteshall i let out a nice pomfret in the Singapore River, hopefully it will find its way to California and you can cook it!
Your 7 drawfs are all my fav!!
You got "kiam chai" or not? I think that will make it taste extra yummy! plus the preserved plums.
i lao nuah already! haha...
KM, if you let out a pomfret, next time you cannot eat pomfret liow! (just like the "turtle" story).
ReplyDeleteI can find pomfret here but I prefer to try something different and when it turns out yummy yummy, I'm happy.
oh ya huh!
ReplyDeletesheng = rise!
tigerFISH, when you coming back to Singapore? slurp slurp.....
Big Fish! hehehe.....
ECL, hahah, so what you eat Mon-Fri? Everythin' raw (sheng) arh ?
ReplyDeleteNo sure yet. But if there is someone wanting to catch a BIG Fish, I scared leh....then I will avoid and escape...I am the only Fish that won't go for the bait....buahahahh!
Haha, I love the "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" joke! Shoot, can I be the dwarf named "Hungry?" I am always hungry after reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, this does sound delish!
ReplyDelete