Strawberries U-Pick

"Live each season as it passes - breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit"

Organic Strawberry U-pick 2010: Certified organic strawberry u-pick will likely be happening at  Swanton Farmstand and Coastways Ranch by May 1st. Check the site and call to avoid disappointment.
 
The strawberry season(officially summer) will be here soon. Although, you could get strawberries all year round and do not have to wait till summer, the summer strawberry crops are usually at their peak sweetness.

I became a "sniffer" just last week - not sniffing for strawberries in the grocer's or farmer's market, but sniffing for strawberries to pick, U-pick.

We picked Swanton Berry Farm as our U-pick destination, a morning getaway. I want my organic strawberries. I want it NOW! I want it CHEAP! And I want it SWEET! Swanton Berry Farm has it all. You just have to turn laborious , do some legwork and you can have it NOW, CHEAP, and SWEET. Organic too! Nothing is free in this world, right? If you want it, work for it!

More photos here.

1. Carton boxes and baskets ready, but empty


2. Took a nice breezy stroll to the fields


3.After about an hour of work, nine baskets filled as our "harvest"! 6.5lbs worth!


4. Ready to stuff myself silly with strawberries

More photos here.

My goodness! All the strawberries are so sweet, AND... so fresh. And other than sweetness, the flavor itself is better because the plant and the soil are more healthy. Trust me, I have tasted store-bought strawberries - even those organics from supermarkets, and they just don't match up to these strawberries that are freshly picked directly from the field. Were we just plain lucky to be at the right farm at the right time? It's a steal, in my opinion, at $2/lb (latest for 2010: The organic strawberry u-pick price is $2.50 per pound!) for these organic strawberries picked at Swanton Berry Farm.

Are you ready to join the fun ? Find a nearby U-pick location near you. Just make sure to call any location you have chosen to make sure the fields are ready for U-pick.

More about Swanton Berry Farm:
Swanton Berry Farm has two ranches that are open seasonally to the public. The Farm Stand is open year round selling baked goods and organic strawberries. It is also the site of our u-pick strawberry fields. Located approximately 1.5hrs south of San Francisco. The Farm Stand is approximately 10mins north of Santa Cruz.

More photos here.

Getting fruity:
No guilt pleasures
Mirror mirror on the wall
Alphabets & fruits

Tag: , ,

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info and link. I looked up for U-Pick strawberries in NYC and there are a couple in Long Island.

    Now, I have to figure out who I can get to drive me there since it's way out in the island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn! those strawberries are awesome! I've always wanted to experience picking strawberries but never did, for some reasons...I'm gonna search for one over my side now..hehe

    btw, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah! Let me have them!! I love strawberries! Wish I could pick some strawberries myself! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat a nice trip! How i wish i am there too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheh those strawberries look so funny but so red and delicious! I've always wanted to pick strawberries and blueberries. You've motivated me to look into it this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogspot and Wordpress are banned in China, and oh my, I have missed out so many ho liao. LOL. I am glad to be back to read all my fav blogs...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Look at all those red, luscious, yummylicious strawberries!!! I love to pick strawberries too, the fun part is to stuff them into your mouth as you pick. hehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUMMER IS HERE!!! WOOHOOo....your strawberry picking trip reminds me of Cameron Highlands, Malaysia A LOT :)

    that mutant strawberry looks like that octupus face pirate in the Pirates of the Carribean :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh.... me allergic to strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've done it once; it was 10 years ago in South Africa. I really like that because I could pick and eat at the same time. I'm sure the strawberries you pick must be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waaahh.... so deliciously sweet, fresh and yummy looking. Reminds me of the time I was at Tasmania and visiting a berry farm. We had our fill that day and enjoyed the berries for the next few days.

    Sigh.... if only they would grow here in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmm yum! we drove by a picker yer own berries farm but there was no convincing my hubby. i could smell the sweet strawberries in the air. what are you going to make with all those beautiful berries?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ming merciless, you're welcome! :D ...is it a long drive?
    We had to drive about 50mins-1hr to this nearest U-pick :O

    lin, you could give a go at cherry picking...Brentwood should be near for you, if you are near Sacramento ? More options, inland, at the Eastern side than the South Bay.

    wokking mum, what would you do with 6.5lbs (almost 3kg) of strawberries? I was so lazy to think of what to do with them. I just ate all of them as fruits.;p

    omnivore, it was not so convenient or anywhere near for us. But yes, quite a nice trip, no regrets.

    amy, are there any u-pick near seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehe, I just added something just for you at the end of my latest garden update. :)

    BTW, when I first came to the U.S., we were paid $2 a flat to pick berries. Funny to think now people pay to pick their own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so jealous! I've been craving for some "nice" strawberries, but I can't find them anywhere. (It's end of autumn now here)
    Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. RM,hmmm....despite doors being opened for so long, I'm surprised blogspot and wordpress are banned :O ...welcome back, we miss you.

    ECL, if you pick organic ones, it's ok to pop 1-2 into your mouth, but the non-organic
    strawberries, better be careful hor, very dirty...lots of pesticides residues.
    Strawberry is one of those "dirty dozen" of high pesticides level.

    the expedited writer....pirates carribean? hahaha...coming soon....
    you are too funny but too right...now I looked at the mutant, it really resembles
    octopus face pirate (I forgot what its name :O ) LOL


    firehorse, are you allergic to all berries, or only strawberries? Or maybe it was because you did not rinse the strawberries thoroughly?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wah... I also wanna go pick my own strawberries! Where is the nearest U-pick farm?

    ReplyDelete
  18. windy, that was so long ago. If I were to pick and eat at the same time, my baskets would be still empty after the end of picking *lol*
    Yes, there were very very tasty! Love it!

    cool insider, I visited a berry farm in Tasmania too. Did not pick the berries but ate their berry ice-cream. Berry nice :D
    S'pore is too warm for strawberries. Think they need the sun but not the heat.

    aria, your hubby does not like strawberries ? I finished them all as they were, as fruits.

    wandering chopsticks, we have to pay for them at supermarket or farmer's market anyway.
    Just an excuse for a short getaway ;p ...pay to be a "farmer" for a day.

    sue, you are at the other end.
    What is there to pick at autumn/winter ? Pears ? I need to check. :D

    dk, s'pore dun have lah!
    Go Carrefour/NTUC to "pick" your own :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. huh? really arh? ang moh also use pesticide? yucks.
    pui pui....
    *rinse my mouth*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweetie, I'm sure it was loads of fun! Look at the color of those strawberries - we have nothing like that here! :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. ECL, aiyo...don't use pesticide then use what leh? Unless organic.
    tt's why...try not to tou jia when you pick ok, unless they are organic.
    Even organic, still best to rinse lightly coz soil sure got some bacteria wan mah.:O

    patricia,, are the strawberries in Brazil mostly imported ? Or there's no U-pick concept?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a fun way to teach the kids that food doesn't come from the store but the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  23. nate 2.0, that's another way to put it. A good way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. the freshly picked berries taste so different from store bought right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. lydia, yes yes...very different. Just so fresh and sweet. Oh now I remember, you went strawberry picking recently. Were yours organic *curious*...you should find an organic farm if there is....organic tastes SO DIFFERENT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ai yo! You ate all as fruits ah? Can make Strawberry Sorbet or cooler, slice a few and add them to your pancake as breakfast. You did a lychee dish sometime back right? I think it will taste good with strawberries too!

    Go pick some more!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wokking mum, ya lor...like very "wasted" leh...to not eat such fresh and sweet strawberries as fruits.
    I never make pancake for breakfast wan lah. Hmmmm I made lychee chicken the other time. I don't think strawberries pairs well with chicken coz not much tangy in strawberries leh ;p ...but I really don't know...maybe it works hor?

    ReplyDelete
  28. i know where in Singapore can go pick strawberries!

    but they must be picked in punnets!
    quite a few places to get.
    Cold Storages, NTUC, Shop n Save etc. hahaha...

    DK! Go there and pick!

    ReplyDelete
  29. KM, I suggested that to DK too, wonder if he has gone to pick his own strawberries ;p ?

    ReplyDelete