Thai-style chili condiment - a homemade condiment or sauce from leftover green chili

Serrano: I'm that leftover serrano chili from egg masala.

"We came in a pack of so many; there are still at least eight of us left a plenty
Though it's cold in the chiller, I do not feel lonely; as I have the rest for company,
But I'm turning from bad to worse black; please do something about it me behind my back


Me: You are green and not as tiny as a chili padi but you are so fiery! It's NOT in the size, NOT in the color, it's just in YOU. I don't know what to do with YOU!!!??? So I say:

"Give me some serrano chili
and give me time to think;
with ginger and garlic
can it do the trick ? "

Homemade chili sauce -Thai Style
Ingredients:
- 6-9 serrano chili depending on your heat level, threshold
- 2-3 tsp crushed ginger
- 1-2tsp crushed garlic
- 3-4tsp cane sugar
- sprinkle of paprika
- 1-2tbsp lime juice
- dashes of fish sauce (I did not have this, but if you do, definitely give a dash)

How to: Rinse the chili and remove seeds if you want the chili sauce mild. Slice up the chili, and with the other ingredients (except the lime juice), mix/blend/puree in a small food processor. Add in the lime juice, then blend quickly for 3 secs. You could taste the sauce and if too spicy, add more sugar.


Serrano: I can now "live" happily in the fridge ever after (at least longer than in the raw form)


Me: And now, I can sleep in peace and not hear serrano's ramblings

This condiment should go well with seafood that has not been heavily seasoned or flavored before and during the process of cooking eg. as a dip for the fish slices in a fish soup, or for steamed prawns etc.

I'm entering this condiment made from leftover green chilis, for Leftover Tuesdays at Project Foodie.

Tag: , , , ,

23 comments:

  1. What a nice way to save the Serrano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a foodie and a poet too! ;-) Looks potent too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahh....sure goes well with Ikan Bakar aka Baked Fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything spicy so the chili sauce looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woman, once again, you crack me up :)) I love using leftover serrano chilis, which I find more flavorful than jalapenos and less spicy than cili padis, yums !:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Bangkok in 1970 and had a delicious dish of seasoned ground pork that was served with a clear liquid hot sauce that was amazing. I wonder if any of you have an idea of what it was and where I could get a recipe.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures make my tongue tingle from the heat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is time to worry when you start having conversations with vegetables...I find that fruits are far more intellectual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The green chili looks really HOT (and I could feel it in my mouth)!!!
    BTW, the 'Leftover Tuesdays' idea sounds really interesting, a lot of lovely 'leftover' food recipes indeed... Thanks for sharing this piece of information! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Gasp!* Tigerfish abused her serrano chili with a cigarette butt. It was going to sue you but too late! Tigerfish quickly made minced chilli out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. foodie pam, I saved the serrano! I'm happy. :D Thanks for hosting this event.

    lyrical lemongrass, wo....very potent though it does not look spicy at all.

    precious pea, ya ya, can also!

    ReplyDelete
  12. im shivering when i looked at the paste..just came dwn wif a sore throat..i wonder what will happen if i had some of those..

    ReplyDelete
  13. wok and spoon, spice queen...you will love this.

    MW,..hee hee...I wanted to do my own pickled/preserved green chili but I got no distilled vinegar leh...:( . I don't really like jalapenos too...don't
    taste like chili to me (they are more like peppers).


    joseph lanteri, the Thai chili I've had before in some Thai restaurants was some clear hot (green) hot sauce too...and
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make it :)

    jadedone, your tongue will numb out first :D

    freya and paul, I'm really worried now ;p ..but I did not want to appear anti-social to my vegetables and fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha..

    I want to laugh.
    Wah, you talk to your food too?

    It looks yummy leh...
    It will go very well with Keropoks!
    Really!

    ReplyDelete
  15. windy, it IS HOT! You can join the fun too! You will like it :)

    simcooks, haha...who ask the serrano to be so nawtee and turn bad so fast? So I had to do some torturing to them. ;p

    "joe", you should come again when no sore throat lah! Meantime, refrain from fried stuff eg roti babi, and spicy food :P

    KM,if I don't talk to my food, they don't fren me
    how ? LOL!

    I know it goes well with "you"...when I go to some Thai eateries and even seafood eateries(eg Seafood International)
    they serve "you" as appetizers and I will dip "you" in this kind of chili :p I know you not bluffing me, coz it's really yummy .

    ReplyDelete
  16. This would go so nicely with chicken rice or fried kuey tiaw.

    I like freshly made chili sauce because it has that fresh green taste plus the spicy heat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks harmless! That HOT meh? Wonder if it's available in Singapore. Would like to try it. I scott around first.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yums i love hot hot stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ming, I think chicken rice ? I have something non-spicy to go with chicken rice too (look out!)
    And homemade has absolutely no preservatives! :D

    ECL, what harmless ? Eat then you know arh!!! There is something similar in
    Seafood International (used to be at Big Splash, now relocated) along East Coast Park. I was thinking of that chilli when I made this. Hee hee...Go and eat in this place!

    Buddingcook, so you are like chilli queen,wokandspoon - love chili choco too ;p?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look very tempting and hot. Make a red chilli version also lah.

    ReplyDelete
  21. fleck, can also hor? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  22. that's a lot of chilis, must pack a lot of taste!

    ReplyDelete
  23. david, yes...pack lots heat!

    ReplyDelete