Tom Yum glass noodles

I made Tom Yum Fried Rice before, and am now attempting Tom Yum noodles. Part of the inspiration came from MamaBok who made Tom Yum soup, and added some beef balls, tofu, and noodles. I made mine on the drier side, with intent - just like dried mee siam, and added extra ingredients such as enoki mushrooms and prawns/shrimps.

Tom Yum Glass Noodles (serves 2)
Ingredients:
-4-5 oz bean thread glass noodles/mung bean vermicelli
-8-10 medium size prawns/shrimps
-1 block firm tofu
-1 pack enoki mushrooms
-1-2tbsp tom yum paste
-1 stalk lemongrass, use bottom part only, slightly "bruised" to release the flavor
-ground pork (option - I added some since I have leftovers)

Method:
1. Soak the glass noodles in warm water for ~15mins, till soften
2. Heat some oil in the pan, add lemongrass and fry till aromatic. Then add Tom Yum paste, tofu and fry for 2-3 mins (Note: I also added my leftover pork in this step)
3. Add some water(adjust according)
4. Add in prawns into the Tom Yum soup mixture, then add in glass noodles into the Tom Yum mixture and allow the entire Tom Yum mixture to come to simmer
6. Serve immediately, with some vegetables


This is my entry for Presto Pasta Night. Thanks, Ruth...for hosting such a great event.

Other posts:
Tom Yum or Tom Yam rice
Baked/grilled salmon kebab
Pan-fried fish with homemade pesto sauce
Linguine vongole
Teppanyaki style stir fry udon


Tag: , ,

24 comments:

  1. most things tomyam are nice.

    i like dry tomyam tang hoon noodles too!
    i can imagine the tomyam taste in my mouth now.. yum yum.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got loads of bean thread glass nooodles at home and had no idea how to cook them. Thanks so much for the recipe. Hmm... I guess it maybe all right if I use curry paste instead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe's easy enough for me to try. And it's good for a quick meal too. I love tom yam anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww..!! you are too kind..!! to mention my mediocre cooking in your blog.. ;) i feel so honored.. TF..!
    Yours definitely look better though.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot resist Tom Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the idea of using glass noodles. hvnt eaten tom yum with glass noodles :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah. Tom Yum! Delish... We must be in sync. I made me a glass noodles soup yesterday too! I've put chicken instead of prawns only because i've used up all my prawns at the last bbq. :(

    Looks so yummy with tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one awesome looking dish. Can't wait to try it.

    Thanks so much for sharing with the Presto Pasta Night gang. What would we do without you!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello TigerFish, thanks for visiting my blog...oh erm..I love your blog man..coz I am a foodie too...come to think of it..I feel a little hungry after going through your blog..uh oh.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. ANother delicious dish from Tigerfish! You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I love how you're cooking around it. How 'bout making tom yum? :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love tom yum soup!
    I love bak choy!
    I love tofu!
    And I love shrimp!
    I'll pick out the glass noodles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. absolutely fantastic!!!
    Glass noodle probably my most favorite amongst the asian variety! Can't wait to try this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. KM, I agree with you...most things tomyam are nice. Tang hoon can absorb a lot of tomyam flavor due to the nature of the noodle. There's no escape for tomyam. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sour and spicy .... mmmm.... my mouth a little sng liao. hehe...

    I prefer it with less gravy though. The tang hoon will absorb all the soup. mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah! This looks REALLY good!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woow this reminds me of my friends' Singaporean & Malaysian dishes, I so miss them!!
    I've tasted Tom yum before & completely fell in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh no where did my comment go? anyways, I said that I tried making the TY fried rice the other day but I forgot to get more TY paste. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. windy, I hv so much bean thread glass noodles left too, and now your curry paste gave me a good idea ;p Thanks!

    lyrical lemongrass, you can even make layer crepe cake, so what is this, lady?:D

    mama bok, don't mention it...we all do homecooking mah...and the aim is just put up a decent meal to feed the mouths at home, right?

    pablopabla, you are a "hot and sour" person, you like sichuan hot and sour soup, and you like tom yum :)

    babe_kl, wonder if I can try tom yum mee sua ?
    ...kekekeke :p

    mae, hahaha..it was an easy one-dish meal to make, right? Did you use Tom Yum as your soup base?

    ruth, you flatter me to much, lady! Thank you so much. But without a wonderful host, when and where will the "guests" get ever invited? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. jason, thks for visiting and stopping by for a food bite :D
    You are welcome to stop by for virtual food, if you are too lazy to head out to a 24-hr kopitiam for char kway teow!

    freya and paul, can I be a heroine instead? :D ...But I've got a hero and heroine in paul and freya. Is that not a better deal?

    ReplyDelete
  21. wandering chopsticks, You mean cooking around tom yum or the ingredients are aROUND the plate? LOL!
    Hmmm....I don't think I will ever make my own tom yum paste. But if you are talking about the classic soup, yes.

    ming merciless, you are like keropok man - he picks out the char siew in the char siew sou, and you pick out the glass noodles in this dish (after pickin' out the bittergourds in the steamed bittergourd dish).
    You both can't share a char siew sou since I think both of you will fight for the char siew, but both of you can definitely share this tom yum glass noodles dish cos keropok will eat the glass noodles. LOL! Buahahahahh!

    gattina, glad you like it. :D Glass noodles is not my fav, but
    errr..it's hard to ask me to pick my fav noodles ...oops!

    ECL, yep! You know also hor...the tang hoon absorbs water very well, and flavor quite well...Almost like a sponge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wokking mum, where got...simple meal only lah!

    valentina, I think Tom Yum is a sure hit among all of us. I forgot when I first tasted Tom Yum
    but I can tell you it was love at first bite for me as well :D

    jaden, Blogger.com must have sniffed up some SPAM in you, and done something with your comments. Oops!

    You ran out of TY paste while cooking the rice? The rice may have turn out very mild on the TY flavor, or no signs of TY in TY rice at all ? :O
    If you like it hot and spicy, I guess you have to add in more paste, else it will be rather mild.
    With the rice, can never get the same kick and oomph as in the TY soup. Hope you like the TY rice as much as SPAM fried rice :D
    (P.S on a serious note, I had the same problem recently - left comments in other blogs, saw it being published, but next day it disappeared)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love glass noodles and what you have prepared looks absolutely great. I wonder if its enough though knowing how light glass noodles are? *tummy rumbling*

    ReplyDelete
  24. cool insider, the more I eat, the hungrier I get since Tomyum is so appetizing ;p

    ReplyDelete