They met in my beancurd- nori roll!
This is somewhat like the Chinese version of Rasa Malaysia's Vietnamese Tau Hu Ky.
Somewhat? Yes - because in the Chinese dim-sum version - deep fried beancurd roll (腐皮卷, pronounced in Cantonese as Fu Pei Gyun), you would not find the additional nori/seaweed layer and hardly the water chestnuts. The addition of water chestnuts is more common in the Hokkien deep fried meat rolls (also known as Lor Bak*, or Ngoh Hiang**).
*Lor Bak - Marinated minced pork, rolled in soybean sheets and then deep fried.
**Ngoh Hiang - translates into "five spice" in Hokkien. Technically, it refers to one food item - a meat roll made from minced pork, shrimp, chestnuts and onions wrapped up in bean curd skin. Handmade ones are usually moist and meaty.
I adapted my deep fried bean curd rolls from a Cantonese cooking snippet over the TV and they included the nori/seaweed layer (when wrapping the beancurd-skin with chopped shrimps). I decided to try...and finally created a "cross-over" roll, or a hybrid between Ngoh Hiang and Fu Pei Gyun. The addition of seaweed as a wrap creates a new dimension in terms of color, texture and flavor. Does it remind you of sushi ?
I am never against deep-fried food (the eating part - I'm no health freak). I just seldom deep fry my food to avoid getting an oily stove-top and kitchen floor, and splatters of oil that may burn/scald me. Anyway, you don't get deep-fried food from me often. Just this time.
Sushi-Tau Hu Ky, Sushi-Tau Hu Ky, you put me in glee!
Beancurd skin with shrimps and water chestnuts (makes about 4-6 rolls)
Ingredients:
-12oz-1lbs shrimps, shells, head and tail removed (all off! naked!)
-8oz ground turkey/chicken (can be omitted - then use more shrimps. Meat was added as like how Ngoh Hiang is made)
-1 cup water chestnuts, diced to small cubes (adding this will give an additional crunch to the fillings)
-2 stalks spring onion, chopped finely
-handful of cilantro, chopped finely
-4 beancurd sheets, wiped with water and dab dry with paper towel
-4 nori sheets
-dashes of pepper
-1-2tsp sesame oil
Marinade(for turkey or chicken):
-sprinkle of salt
-1-2tsp cornflour
-1 egg
-1-2tsp chinese cooking wine
Method:
1. Marinate ground turkey and set aside
2. Dry prawns with a towel. Mash prawn meat with the back of a cleaver and finely chop (Note: Try not to mash the prawn with an electronic food chopper/mixer since it will introduce a lot of moisture).
3. Mix prawn puree with marinated turkey, diced water chestnuts, green onions, cilantro, and add some pepper, sesame oil, then mix/blend until it reaches a paste consistency
4. Spread bean curd skin onto parchment or wax paper. Place shrimp-turkey puree in the middle. Place nori sheet on top, add a little more shrimp-turkey puree, then roll up the skin like a sushi roll. Trim off excess bean curd skin. Keep roll in shape with bamboo picks (Note: Of course, you can just use one layer and omit the nori layer. I wanted a mix of textures from taste and "looks" standpoint, plus nori imparts an additional flavor to the bean curd skin)
5. Bring vegetable oil to high temp, place beancurd skin-nori rolls and deep fry until golden, approximately 8min-10mins in total (depending on how deep is your oilamd how "fat" is the roll). Remove and drain off excess oil (Note: I do not have a deep fryer to immerse the entire fat roll to fry, so I fry each side for about 4-5mins)
Although I like these crispy rolls a lot, I guess I won't be doing it again, for a while. I wish for a deep-fryer at this instant. Who wish to "donate" a deep-fryer to me - I can give you my mailing address :D
*day-dreaming* ........................AGAIN.
Other snacks:
Char Siew Sou - BBQ pork pastry
Chee Cheong Fun - Stir fried rice rolls
Begedil -Potato and meat patties
Tag: deep fried, beancurd skin, shrimps, beancurd skin roll, appetizer, snacks
Wow, they look so pretty....I love the photographs. You may be starting a new sushi trend. Watch out Nobu!!
ReplyDeleteWah, a 加料 bean curd nori rolls indeed. By the way, I used my left over bean curd skin to make 鸡卷,Taiwanese style....sooo sooo good.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I do have a deep fryer, but a cheapo one, like $20. It's not very good and the oil still splatter and my counter top and floor greasy and have to mop many times. Anyway, if you want to buy, buy a good one...really. I love deep-fried food a lot. Hehe.
Well, next time you guys come down here, you can stay in our place, we have a guest room, and we can play masak masak...wah, have to invite MW too. :)
I had an electric deep-fryer that is cumbersome to use. It needs a lot of oil. It's a huge one. hehehe.... silly me bought it for cooking my son's birthday feast and just used it twice. Sold to Cashconverters last year for S$20! cheh.
ReplyDeleteBean curd skin always tastes nice when fried to a nice crisp. It's versatile too. Give a few more examples tiger.
So nice to see the culinary skills you all have. I take the easy way out. I order the food and take photos :o)
ReplyDeleteeh, can't see the photos leh, but i do have a weakness for ngor hiang! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is great for appetisers :)
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine them being placed amongst the Four Season Entree :)
You have to get this oil less fryer called Actifry from SEB.
ReplyDeletehmm ... your new invention looks simply delicious.
That's a great Chinese-Japanese combination! All these fried snacks are really making me want to abandon my "diet"!
ReplyDeleteI like the water chestnuts that gives it the crunch, and nori that add that special taste.
ReplyDeletethis looks amazing! so creative.
ReplyDeleteWhat an ingeneous idea!
ReplyDeleteI'd never thought of deep frying sushis, you make my mouth water now *drooooolss*
This looks enticing...yummy.
ReplyDeleteLook delicious! I'll have to try this recipe of yours. :)
ReplyDeleteMina
Mm this looks delicious! I love fried bean curd skin. You did a great job frying without a deep fryer!
ReplyDeletethese look delish! i don't have a deep fryer either. :D very cute.
ReplyDeleteOooh, so gorgeous. I want some!
ReplyDeleteWow, this look good! I just fried some beancurd fish rolls too. I should have seen this earlier and added nori sheet into mine. Well, next time I guess. Thanks for the idea! :)
ReplyDeletesteamy, you flatter me too much. I need to make a revolutionary series(which I can't) of Fu Pei Gyun to start a trend. :) I'm still a novice.
ReplyDeleteRM, quick quick, post! I'm trying to figure out if I've eaten or seen Taiwanese 鸡卷 before.
I saw even a cheaper one $9/- the other day but I did not buy.
Not buying coz I don't deep fry very often. Must use a lot of oil - so wasteful. I will have deep fried food when I dine out. Heh heh....
Ya ya...masak masak with toy ladle and wok izit? Hahahha...when I was a kid, I used to "pretend" and have "jigsaw puzzle pieces" as my "ingredients" for frying...crazy right?
ECL, what you fry? Chicken wings arh?
More examples ??? You want me to mop the floor again izit? LOL
WMW, how I wish....I do that too but too expensive to eat out in the US. Thanks for your compliments - I just cook simple dishes lah. :)
These look yummy, like a fried california roll. I like that you added water chessnut in them for the crunch.
ReplyDeleteshilpa, photos not loading fast enuff izit? :(
ReplyDeleteI like ngor hiang and (steamed and fried)fu pei gyun :)
pablopabla, 1 roll to share for 2, if appetizers.But 1 roll per person can be a side dish
to go with noodles or rice too :)
cooking ninja, can't read french...but the fryer looks like a real cook gadget :)
It's as round as a spaceship and just the right size. Have you got one too?
wokandspoon, you are on a "diet" now? Woooo....
fleck, you know your food too ya? The nori makes the taste so different.
rachel, thks!
valentina, I can't imagine frying the REAL sushi...I mean..with the rice ???
ReplyDeleteI just roll them like a sushi with the shrimps fillings, put a nori and call them chinese "sushi" ...oops! ;p
oceanskies79, want some?
mina, set aside some time to do it. Preparation takes some time.
amy, I thought it was not too perfect as deep fried rolls - they are on the darker brown (burnt or charred) side. :(
buddingcook, have you tried those dim-sum beancurd skin fried rolls before?
Wandering chopsticks, can exchange with your minced meat roll or sugarcane prawns? ;P
little corner of mine, fish rolls ? Hmmm....you gave me idea too but I cannot get good fish paste over here. Did you use fish paste or chopped up fish fillets to make your paste ? Wonder what fish makes good paste ? Thks for visiting my site :)
ming merciless, it will totally be a different texture without the water chestnuts, you're right!
i want i want! ur spring rolls..but i dont have any deep fryer for u though ..keke..looks so scrumptious..i can almost feel it in my mouth..before i bite my tongue!
ReplyDeleteAt least this dish doesn't need to be deep-fry, otherwise it could be quite fattening, I never really like to save the used oil etc. (yes, the list can go on and on...)
ReplyDeleteThe beancurd skin - is it a hard stuff? Can't remember...
I am tempted to say yes. Looking at it can help feed the temptations. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting mine too. I used the same container fish paste used by Rasa Malaysia. The one with a fisherman rolling the boat.
ReplyDelete"joe", oh ya hor...they look like one big gigantic spring roll too, cut into sushi-sizes ;p
ReplyDeletewindy, it is deep-fried in a normal pan. If I've use a deep-fryer, I wonder how
much oil I have to "waste". I never save used oil as well. Beancurd skin is not so hard-and turns crispy when fried.
oceanskies79, yes? you goin' to "donate" a deep-fryer to me ? *lol*
little corner of mine, I can't find that here ..:(
Now I remember the image of fisherman rolling the boat and will try harder to look for it again......;)
Ah.. fried food!
ReplyDeleteI want I want...
You know lah, lazy boy prefer someone to prepare for him to eat. hehe..
I wonder hor, if you could roll it like inside a chee cheong fun. But I guess must eat it within 5 seconds! before it becomes not crispy.
hmmmm
I wan' leh!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your reasons for not deep frying in the house. But this looks very good and now must try. Especially since I'm looking for things to do with ground turkey.
KM, you can always find fried food outside mah. You must find some place in Sg that does the CCF thingy first, then post it in your blog and I'll be inspired to make here :D
ReplyDeleteNate 2.0, I don't think 100% grd turkey would be good (since turkey tends to be dry)...mix with something else like pork or shrimp.
Oo thats a really clever idea! I want a deep fryer too, I like to dream about all the things I can fry. :D
ReplyDeleteamy, start dreaming, girl. We have the privilege to dream dream dream. :)
ReplyDelete