Chocolate mousse ice-cream or ice-cream mousse

I promise. This is the last of the remains of that block of 100% dark chocolate, after using it here and here. This is a mousse recipe found in the inside of the chocolate wrapper. I only made minor modifications by adding some vanilla almond shredded oats , as the topping for the chocolate mousse.


Ice-cream lookalike ?

Chocolate Mousse, modified from Ghirardelli
Ingredients:
-2 egg yolks
-1/4 cup cane sugar
-1 & 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (will be used in 1/2 + 3/8 + 3/8 portions, see below)
-3oz Ghirardelli 100% caco unsweetned chocolate baking bars, chopped
-some vanilla almond shredded oats - I used Babara's Bakery shredded oats

Method:
1. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl on high speed till thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar and beat continuously
2. Heat 1/2 cup cream in a saucepan (take care, do not boil)
3. Gradually stir half of the hot cream into egg yolk mixture, then combine back into hot cream (process called tempering)
4. Cook over low heat about 5mins, stirring till mixture is blended and thickens
5. Let cool 3-5mins, then add chocolate to mixture and stir till thick, about 5mins
6. Cover and refrigerate till chilled (at least 1 hr)
7. Beat remaining 3/4 cups cream in chilled bowl till stiff
8. Mix 3/8 cup cream into chocolate mixture till blended
9. Fold remaining cream gradually into chocolate mixture till well blended
10.Sprinkle some shredded oats on the bottom serving dish ( cups/dessert bows/container)
11.Spoon mixture into serving dish
12. Refrigerate at least 2 hrs

Looking for the candle on this mousse-like ice-cream or rather ice-cream-like mousse

This is a monthly mingle entry for What's for Lunch, Honey- Big Birthday Bang. Meeta, I hope you and your guests love what I made.

Other posts:
Mango dessert
Snow fungus, ginkgo and barley dessert
Spinach pesto scallops


Tag: , , , , ,

15 comments:

  1. oh man...think I am going to forward my boo your blog man..she loves to cook and I LOVE to eat...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is sinful! Yummy yum! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm delish, I love chocolate mousse, I can just lick that off my screen :P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate mousse and ice cream! 2 of my favourite foods in 1 dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate mousse! I love anything chocolatey. Looks like ice-cream hor. I'll let my son make this for me lah. His school holiday, nothing to do. Any questions, can email you. hehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! I love the crispy cereal topping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are SO mean, sweetie - I didn't have any dessert today! I want this and I don't care how you call it - it looks decadent either way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forget my guests - I am gonna have this all by myself!! LOL! Thanks for bringing this to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jason,I prefer eating to cooking, actually. But now I have to do both.

    wokking mum, ya lor, all the chocolate is in it! Me love it too!

    amy, this mousse is totally lick-able off screen too ;p

    wokandspoon, hahahha...a mousse of ice-cream lookalike :D
    I suddenly thought of the chili chocolate u had. If I've added those, then it's chili mousse?! :O

    ReplyDelete
  10. ECL, I use ice-cream scoop to shape it mah! That's why look like ice-cream ;p

    freya and paul, I wanted something crispy in the creamy texture too! But have to eat
    them fast, the cereal oats soften too fast :O

    patricia, I can top the mousse with some of your nutella cookies if you could spare me some,
    pleeeassse ?

    meeta, it's meant for you, anyway. Look at the size, it's not enough to go around. Haha!
    But I could make more for the party guests :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Tigerfish - yeah, you should definitely try the chili-chocolate-mousse-icecream! Could be a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't see any 100% here leh :( Btw, it was kinda cold here tonight, and after looking at your ice cream mousse thingy, the next best thing was to hit the 7/11 store for some chocolaty ice cream drumstick hahaha, which I did. Thanks :P:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have very lucky friends, that's all I have to say!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This just means you need to rush out and buy another block of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wokandspoon, wait till I try the chili chocolate first ;p

    MW, really arh?! Think it's hard to find. I found them in Girardelli store. Hahah...you also like ice-cream when weather is cold arh? Me too! But I think you can take the cold, hor? *wink*

    ming merciless, thks! I am lucky to have you all as my friends too! Either I get a food feast or a picture feast - all for the senses :D

    chubbypanda, it's chocolate for me anytime, man! I still have...errr...3 blocks of chocolates under the bed...
    *stored chipmunk style* hee hee.

    ReplyDelete