Chinese-style steamed prawns with egg whites - steaming goodness, deep freeze challenge

What is a deep freeze challenge ? This is now taking place at Melecotte, partially to ease the traffic food, jammed in your freezer. I confess. I use frozen prawns quite often (but I'm quite sure those thawed prawns on that bed of ice you see at the seafood station have gone through freeze-thaw cycles umpteen times), so what's wrong with using frozen prawns? They may be even fresher since they could be made to freeze just once, that's it.

The other ingredient I'm using in this dish happens to be some leftover egg whites remaining after I used the yolks here.

Using frozen prawns (thawed appropriately), and egg whites, I'm going to whip up a long-forgotten dish - Chinese-style steamed prawns.

Hickory Dickory Doc, the shrimps ran up the clock. What time is it?

This dish can be often seen in a Dai Pai Dong- 大排档 -roadside stalls; or Tze Char- 煮 炒 in coffee shops, and/or in some air-conditioned Chinese (often seafood-based) eateries (in my opinion, just a more upscale Dai Pai Dong/Tze char, because of air-conditioning) which serve Dai Pai Dong/Tze Char dishes.


Chinese-style steamed prawns/shrimps (serves 2)
Ingredients A:
-600g raw prawns, tail-on, thawed from the freezer (of course you could use any prawns - freshwater-always THE best, farm-raised, head-on, shells-on etc)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1/4 tsp pepper
-2tsps crushed ginger (or shredded fresh young ginger)

Other garnish & seasonings:
-2tsps crushed ginger
-some julienned red chili
-1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine
-1 egg white (lightly whisked before using)

Method:
1. Mix ingredients A and marinate for 10mins
2. Lay the marinated prawns on a plate, add red chili and some more ginger on top of prawns before steaming
2. Steam over high heat for about 8-10mins (depending on the size of prawns)
3. Pour egg white over the prawns, drizzle the Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine over, and steam for another 1-2mins.
4.Serve warm with rice.
Have you forgotten this dish ? Or have you tasted/tried prawns prepared this way ?

This is another flavorful dish (the power of ginger and Chinese cooking wine) that comes out of steaming. The simple seasonings complement very well with the prawns and egg whites. I think the ingredients are easily available. You should try it.

More steaming goodness can be found in fish, vegetable and chicken here, here and here respectively. Not forgetting, there is also steamy goodness in her steamy kitchen.


Tag: , , , ,

25 comments:

  1. Fresh prawns cannot be replaced and there is nothing more offputting than seafood which is less than springy in texture. Looks like a great way to make the taste of prawns stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hickory Dickory Doc, the shrimps ran up the clock. What time is it?"

    Its time to eat!!!

    I wish I could find shrimp with head-on. I love making steamed shrimp with head on and sucking the juice out of the head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool insider, these prawns here are springy in texture. Not those (soft and mushy texture) in which you know the prawns have been dead out in the open for several days.

    steamykitchen, aren't there any shrimps (head-on, shell-on) in your Asian supermart? I could find such prawns here but was just not ready for this dish.:(
    With the head on, I would love sucking out the tasty juices too! No sparing-they wld be sucked out DRY!!!! hahahha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pix of the prawns and the Hickory Dickory Doc....I'll start with nine o clock and work my way round to devour the yummy seafood. Steaming always brings out the sweet flavours of seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is good to clean up the frozen prawns I have. But I bet it will taste much better with fresh prawns, but they are hard to get now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...The clock struck one
    Tiga chowed down
    Hickory Dickory Doc.

    Frozen shrimp from Costco?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good! Are fresh prawns expensive over there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. I was thinking of using egg whites to make mayonnaise shrimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool recipe - a new one for me! Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wat abt put'in some spring onion or parsley 2 garnish it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are the prawns huge or have you blown up the photo? LOL! But really, this dish tastes brilliant using large prawns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy udang...I love love love this...in San Francisco, there is a very popular Chinese restaurant called R&G Lounge, they make this with clams, also my favorite. Soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shrimps cooked anyway is delicious, except not-so-fresh shrimps.

    Left over egg white -- hmmm, angel food cake comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like mine with extra winey flavor. Mmm... Soooo goood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dish looks great! Too bad prawns are so expensive here :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. prawns and wine steamed our favorite ! smelled them already feeling hor*%@ ! ( what to do )

    ReplyDelete
  17. boo_licious, don't start with 9 o'clock, eat on the dot. :D
    Agree with you on steaming. Almost can taste the natural flavors of seafood.

    anh, of course it is best with fresh prawns. But it's hard, even harder to decipher
    if those seafood at so called "live" station in the seafood section is indeed "live" and
    fresh. :O

    simcooks, hahah...what a nice ending(for me, not for the shrimps) to Hickory Dickory Doc. ;p
    Yes, from Costco. Next time need to buy head-on shrimp from R99 liow to make this dish.

    precious pea, have not compared fresh prawns here vs those in SEAsia before leh :O
    But can tell you it's not cheap loh!

    Wandering chopsticks, my turn to say "jinx"! Main ingredients are the same though
    final dish intended to be different ;)

    jackson, for this-it did not change as much. But guess the longer the steaming,the texture will definitely start to change.

    chris, we always need a good host in order for "guests" to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Raw frozen prawns are such a great thing to keep in the freezer! It looks like you cooked yours to perfection in this unusual dish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!....This is looking great... YUM!.. This sounds different to me... Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. wokandspoon,prawns are not cheap here either. But so are other ingredients. Only sausages are cheap there huh? ;p

    team bsg, quick quick go some back street seafood stall to eat lah!

    freya and paul, I always have a pack of frozen shrimps/ prawns in my freezer. They always come in handy in time of need. ;p

    sukanya ramkumar, hmmm...I know this is not so common afterall. But it's really so simple to prepare at home, at half or less the price one would pay for a similar dish in some Chinese restaurants ;p

    ReplyDelete
  21. wah nice leh.. my mudder never make prawns this way, so never heard of it before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. shilpa, you can try it! :D
    It's good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. tigerfish, you use tigerprawns? hehe....

    Actually, those big big frozen prawns are actually quite fresh. Those that are packed on the fishing ships in the sea.

    They are immediately deep frozen within such a short time after being caught, they are good!

    Of course, here in Singapore, we can get fresh ones lah, or live ones, but I still keep frozen ones in my freezer, big or small ones.

    Small ones, so that when I cook omelette or instant noodles, i can just dump in some prawns. yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  24. KM, prawns so versatile right! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was so amazed at how the prawns could absorb the sweetness and the fragrance of the gingers so well.

    I also added a touch of oyster sauce and found it could greatly improve the taste.

    awesome recipe. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us ^^~

    ReplyDelete