Drunken prawns

A shrimp is a shrimp; a prawn is, well...a shrimp. These two words can be used quite interchangeably whilst some people say the difference IS in size. In many countries, small and medium shrimp are sold simply as shrimp, while large, extra-large, and jumbo shrimp are called prawns.

Unfortunately, this "rule" doesn't always hold. In some areas, all shrimps, small and large, are sold as shrimp, while in other regions, all you'll find are prawns. I can't help but laugh at my own ignorance when only about a year ago, I found out that Udang is actually the Malay word for shrimp/prawns. :O


Shrimps/prawns are quite high in nutrient density. Shrimp/prawn is an excellent source of selenium and is unusually a low-fat, low-calorie protein. Shrimp also emerged as a very good source of vitamin D and vitamin B12. For these facts, shrimp/prawn provides cardiovascular benefits and is timely for a easy recipe (restaurant dish, simplified for the home cook) to be shared over at Heart of Matter #5 - Waterlife. Talking about Vitamin B12, this is one of the nutrients that keep levels of homocysteine low(homocysteine - a molecule that can directly damage blood vessel walls and considered a significant risk factor for cardiovascular disease). Not limited to fish, shrimps/prawns are also a good source of cardio-protective omega-3 fatty acids, noted for their anti-inflammatory effects and ability to prevent the formation of blood clots.

I've been looking for "live" shrimps/prawns around the Bay Area. "Live" as in, still swimming in the tank. The ones I see here are often, either frozen or thawed on bed of ice. There's always a saying that describes human complexity... if you want something very much, bent on having it, sometimes you will never find it (or at least go through great difficulty); but if you "let go of your deep desires", don't think much about it, often you will find this "thing" (be it object, feeling, etc.) coming after you, appearing right in front of you. Look what I accidentally found one day... Spot Prawns!!! I was not preparing to buy any shrimps or prawns that day but I saw it! And they were "live", still swimming in the tank. What's better, they were not the typical farm-raised shrimps/prawns. Live spot prawns (USA/Wild)!!!

I swear that this feeling of euphoria is enough to put me in a slightest heart excitement attack, even if I'm cooking these simply (without the use of bad fats)

At $13.99-$16.99/lb (depending if on sale and VERY SEASONALLY SHORT), I bought it! Erratic exuberance! Irrational extravagance!


I bought four pounds prawns (you can guess how much they cost), just to satisfy my own cravings. And I swear again that picking those "live" prawns from that "water pool" was not easy (in seizure state, again). When I use those kitchen-like tongs provided at the seafood station on those prawns, they just spurt out water, and I, nervously, have to let go of them. After much trying and facing much resistance from the prawns, four unlucky ones were chosen. They were the chosen ones. Suddenly, I felt like a bad crook. :(

So, how did I cook them?

Drunken prawns
Ingredients:
- Live spot prawns (or any live prawns)
- dashes of cooking wine, shaoxing
- some ginger, sliced thinly
- some goji/wolberries

Method:
1. "Marinate" the prawns with some cooking wine (errr....in other words...make them "drunk")
2. Boil some water or stock in a pot. When boiling, add slices of ginger and some goji berries.
3. Then add in the prawns, and cook till they turn pink
4. Dish out and serve (Note: Set the remaining broth/soup aside to drink, as it contains the goodness and flavors of shrimps, ginger and goji berries - nutritious)

Cooked whole, eat whole, AND...you just have to suck out the juices from the prawn head :O

Soooo succulent and juicy...now this can be in my memory

Drunken prawns...the story continues: You could find this dish in most Chinese seafood restaurants, sometimes in a Chinese wedding course-dinner. In the Chinese seafood restaurant, live prawns are brought to the table in a bowl of soy and wine in which they, literally, drown. :O You will realize the prawns are still alive when they start flapping about in a transparent casserole bowl. The prawns will be cooked over the portable stove-top, right in front of you. Within a few minutes (when the prawns stop moving, or are slow and painfully dead), peel off the shell and eat immediately. Not so much of being cruel, the restaurant just wants to ensure the freshest prawns being served to their patrons. Seeing is believing, isn't it?

Well, I have here, the restaurant delicacy simplified for the home cook. The main ingredient - shrimps/prawns certainly demonstrate its nutrition benefits; and the cooking method - boiling, does not introduce any unhealthy elements to the dish. All perfect for the heart. Just maybe, the story of the drunken prawns, may not be for the weak-hearted.

Tag: , , , ,

44 comments:

  1. I just made a smiliar dish last week (still finding time to post it) but I add Dang Kwei in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! Ingredient name can be quite confusing, but I think the essence of this dish is the live prawns. I bet it must taste so good. With good quality seafood, we need little cooking to make it superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just feel like running out right now for some drunken prawns! Yum! Sometimes when I cant get live prawns, I just have the wine without it. Hic! And then when I manage to get the prawns, and no more wine, I just open more! Hic. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe - I like your before (uncooked) and after (cooked) prawn photos! But urghgh, live prawns? I'm squeamish about these things. I have enough trouble with crabs. With crabs usually I just stick them in the freezer for hours!

    I might have missed something but how did you kill the prawns before cooking? Did you just stick them in boiling water?

    ReplyDelete
  5. u have just dangerously displayed our fave shining eye popping udang tho we would also love( maybe more ) if you could kindly review a little more of the tiger ( we mean eeeerrr....fish ) u so dearly have been keeping to yourself. Drunk a bit better still ! More drunk da best...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen so many photos of prawns/shrimps in one post before! And yeah, I know what you mean about satisfying cravings... sometimes it's all about just grabbing the car keys and the wallet and driving out to get me some of whatever catches my fancy.

    Not just pregnant ladies, ya know... I get weird cravings at all hours. Luckily, in Malaysia there are so many 24-hour outlets, it's usually not a problem.

    But them prawns? Them drunken prawns? Yums... :d

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your post about prawns make me feel the unluckiest for not being able to eat them because of my allergy!:(
    Why is life so unfair??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prawns are healthy? My wife got me thinking that prawns are unhealthy because of high cholesterol and I always tease her that prawns are big fat worms full of protein living underwater with a shell.

    Jokes aside, being brought up in Hong Kong, prawns are always fresh (alive). Yes, they taste a whole lot better. Question though, would "dashes of cooking wine" be good enough to make them "drunk"? I thought I have to totally like them swim inside like Jumbo. Also, have you tried other different kind of Chinese wine (like the Rose wine and the Scholar wine). I wonder if there is a difference at all.

    Oh, when you mentioned boil some "stock", what sort of "stock" do you mean? Sorry, too many questions. I do cook but not usually this type of exotic food.

    Love the way you decorate the dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the brains on these things with a soy and chili dipping sauce. Since they're in season I should look into getting some for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shrimp is looking gorgeous.... Lovely recipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great color on the prawns and beautiful plating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, I bet it's super sweet and YUM! I want...I want... BTW, I would love to know how much you paid for 4 live prawns, because here's my conversation with hubby in a restaurant recently. We saw live prawns swimming in the tank selling for $19.99/lb looking ohhh so good.
    Me: Hey, it's only $10 for 1/2 lb! We can order 1/2 lb *getting excited*
    Hubby: What? Do you know it's probably only 2 shrimps in 1/2 lb! *shaking head*
    Me: Oh really? I thought we might get 6 shrimps. *spout*

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look huge! And yummy! Did you get drunk too, by eating them? I would never think of marinating them in Shaoxing Wine. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting, I don't seem to remember that I have the 'dranken prawns' in my wedding! Lucky you that you could find such nice prawns. It's quite expensive to buy them here in England... prawns that I normally get are either cooked, or headless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do miss this dish. Sigh! I can never make this dish using live prawns. Have never found a place that sells live prawns. Can use frozen prawns ah?

    I have tried once with beer but using frozen prawns. Is there a difference in flavour if live or frozen when they are drunk?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Prawns/shrimp are expensive here in B'dos :( Your dish must be so flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun post! I doubt I'll ever go to a market to "catch" my own live prawns, but if I see drunken prawn on a restaurant menu, I'll order it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, you are so cute to say that four pounds seemed like four prawns! They look big and delicious, so I'd say you got your money's worth!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wokking mum, I got no dang kwei but I know it will taste good. You make those herbal prawns that some restaurants serve in bamboo-sticks, izit? ;p

    anh, precisely. With good quality fresh seafood, minimal cooking is required.
    Then you can taste all the natural seafood flavor.
    And only good quality fresh seafood can withstand THIS test :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm look at those huge prawns! This recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never seen such red uncooked prawns before. Live and wild spot prawns, I could sense your excitement all the way across the border hehehe..the dish looks good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great entry and wonderful post, thank you so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was just thinking about what else to use goji on, and came across your post. What a treat! I must go look for fresh prawns now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The preparation can be quite barbaric to some.. imagine being intoxicated by alcohol and then boiled alive!

    ReplyDelete
  25. No, not in sticks. Very similar to your way of cooking. I steam them too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You so cruel!!!

    I stopped ordering Drunken Prawns in restaurant after seeing how they struggled and fought for their lives while slowing being cooked. And it didn't help that the restaurant owner was explaining how great they would taste after gulping down big mouthfuls of the wine during their dying moments.....

    Wail!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love drunken prawns till I saw it once being presented right in front of me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. SAMH, hhahaaha....your excuse to get yourself drunk izit?

    wokandspoon, you mean you handle live crabs? I usually get the staff at the seafood station to kill and wash and chop up for me, then after I reach home, I just steam the crabs.
    But for these prawns, they were still flapping even they reach home. I was quite cruel - I did it the restaurant way - I put the prawns in my pot, add in some cooking wine to make them "giddy" then shake the pot, covered, to make them more giddy :O
    By this time, no struggle from the prawns. Then, I put them in boiling water. :( :( :(
    My hub told me I should have put them in the fridge for a few hrs and the prawns will be dead sooner or later. But I said " then it's a slow painful one, isn't it" He said my method was worse :(
    You did not miss out anything- I did not want to mention it since it made me so cruel...but since you ask...I oblige. :O

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am amazed at how you can think of so many ways to prepare and cook a dish of food. :)

    Congratulations for being awarded the Thinking Blogger Award, presented by Eastcoastlife. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i am so hungry right now...and all i have to choose from is Subway and Arbys....

    not drunken prawns

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum! Delicious looking photos. I would like to suck suck suck some prawn heads right now...

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL, you are like me, I bought 4 too. I just steamed them plain and with ginger soy sauce like the restaurant, but I took my pictures at night, so blur blur not nice one so I didn't post. This is simply the best prawns in the whole world. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  33. team bsg, udang with tiger beer makes Tiger Prawns hor....buahahahaha

    kenny, that's why the saying "no fish, prawns also can " (hokkien saying)
    Cravings? I have so much cravings for roti prata, nasi lemak, lasak, chicken rice etc etc etc at 11pm and dunno where to go!
    Even I have car keys, there's no use :(
    You are so lucky - here there is only 24-hr Dennys and I don't get wonton mee, kway teow soup etc

    valentina, are you allergic to all seafood or just prawns ?

    ReplyDelete
  34. wilfrid, I dont think the cholestrol in prawns are THAT high. Even science has found no relation btw prawns and high cholestrol -that's good news!
    BUt whatever, it's still good to strike a balance. So don't go eating prawns everyday every meal ;p
    I did not dash so much so as to submerge them but just till they stop flapping...I think they know :(
    I only have shaoxing wine in my pantry so I'm not really sure of what rose wine and scholar wine can do...hmmmm.....I believe there is still some difference in taste, maybe ?
    Some chicken stock or seafood stock just for taste and NOT TO overpower the prawns flavor. WAter is just fine.
    This is not exotic....just a simple dish . Just that premium prawns are used ;p

    jadedone, uh-oh, I think season is over. I no longer see them :(

    sukanya, big fat juicy prawns :D

    kelly, thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Tigerfish(prawn?),

    Do you know what is the diff between shaoxing and huadiao for cooking? Or they are just diff in brand? Thanks in advance.

    BTW, I am tagging you for a meme to post 8 random facts about yourself, but you have no obligation to participate. Please visit my blog for details.

    cheers,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  36. litte corner of mine, ok...2nd mystery uncovered after revealing to wokandspoon on how I killed the prawns.
    I paid $5 for 4 prawns...expensive right? Somemore it was on-sale at $13.99/lb (4 prawns abt 0.35lbs)...hey..you're closer leh!
    But again, depends how BIG each prawn is. Hiya...you all should have ordered.

    mae, I don't think I got drunk but again I can't remember. I think I did get a bit groggy after that ;p

    windy, I don't see them anymore. Now I'm also back to frozen headless prawns. Saying that makes the prawns themselves sound pathetic, right?

    judy, hmmm...I don't think so...unless you got flash frozen ones? Well, you can try steaming frozen prawns(good quality ones) though, I've done the "experiment" before, it works!
    Find the first link in this post - steam it with ginger and egg whites...yummy !
    Hahahah...I think the difference in live and frozen prawns is in the prawns themselves,if they are fresh. Drunk or not, not so important. ;p
    I usually get flash-frozen prawns because I hate to deal with stale prawns, the eating part.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wah! This post like wikipedia liao! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  38. *cries* I guess I'll have to wait until they're in season again. Thanks for the heads up.. otherwise I would've gone and been disappointed hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  39. cynthia, prawns/shrimps are generally quite expensive. Yes, they taste good.

    lydia, please order it! I think I did look quite stupid being intimidated by prawns so much smaller in size than me ;O

    passionateeater, for that day, my money was worth. The next day, I try not to think about it. ;p

    amy, I saw some bigger prawns this week, frozen though.

    expedited writer, I was happy till I finished the prawns and know I won't be having them anymore. "O

    ihva, nice event to participate, thks for hosting. :)

    east meets west, you can steam your prawns with some gogi too. Will be nice :D

    las montanas, :O

    wokking mum, but for this, I boiled it via Drunken Prawns method. I like steaming prawns too :D

    ECL, I know I know, stop reminding me of my guilt lah!

    cooking ninja, ...and you stopped eating them the "drunken" way too ?

    ReplyDelete
  40. You only bought 4? Was it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  41. oceanskies, thks!

    steamy, nah...I bet there is some food hiding in your kitchen ;p

    nate 2.0, hahah, the essence is IN there :D

    RM, I agree. DA BEST. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  42. lydia, I think they are the same. Shaoxing is the place where huatiao wine orginated. So hua tiao is the wine while shaoxing is where it came from. Maybe they have been used too loosely and interchangeably.
    Got your tag- thanks! I will try. :D

    pablopabla, far from wiki lah! Ho ho ho...

    jadedone, don't go looking for it intentionally, maybe you will be in luck! ;p

    wandering chopsticks, to be able to taste such fresh quality prawns, yes...worth it :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Those prawns look so beautiful, like a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi...

    Just bought 1kg of river prawn and looking for some tips of making drunken prawn And your MARINADE them first with wine is AWesome!

    However, the way I cooked is a bit different. I fry onion,cut chilli,garlic and ginger until fragrant. Then I put the drunken prawn on top of the fried condiment and when the prawns are turning red, I pour some more wine before pouring hot water to cook them. Last, season them with salt, pepper and a table of Fish sauce to bring out the taste.

    All the attention goes to the drunen pot and my steam fish and veg were all forgotten!!

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete