Organic bananas - where they come from

Dole Organic lets consumers trace the origins of its organic product. By typing in a fruit sticker's three-digit Farm Code, on Dole Organic website, customers can read background info, view photos of the farm and workers and learn more about the origin of Dole products.

Farm 001 - These bananas I bought came from Peru.

Also check the whereabouts of the eggs.

Tag: ,

11 comments:

  1. Recently I have been eating lots of bananas because it's supposed to help with sleeping (yeah, I got myself permanent jetlag syndrome because of too much flying)...it seems to work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. RM, yeah, (other than warm milk) bananas are supposed to help you sleep better...
    That time when I returned from my S'pore trip, I "suffered" jetlag for almost 6-8mths! It was a torture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bananas... I miss bananas back home as I personally feel they tasted better =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why can I not bring myself to believe one word of their marketing hype..?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ironeaters, for some reason, I think so too. The "soil" is different ...hahha

    parisbreakfasts, there are always two schools of thought. I take normal (non-org) bananas too. :D ..I don't follow a strict X diet

    ReplyDelete
  6. parisbreakfasts: I wanted to give you my word about the veracity of our Organic Program in Latin America.
    I am responsible for all certification affairs and also for the development of the doleorganic.com website.
    The three digits in the stickers begun as a requirement of the certification agency as par of the improvement in traceability if the product in the retail stores, so we added the code on the stickers and decided to create this website.
    The stories are real, I have been in every single farm that produces organic bananas for Dole and I had talked to the people, the producers, the workers, the children and the people who live in the towns near to the farms.
    We just wrote the real histories from the fields.
    If you ever come to Latin America and would like to make yourself sure of this, please let us know, it would be my pleasure to walk with you in the farms.

    Respectfully,

    Luis Monge
    Regional Certification Officer
    Organic Program
    Dole Fresh Fruit International, Ltd
    lfmonge@la.dole.com
    www.doleorganic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. dole organic pgm,thanks for leaving info here on organic bananas. They are very helpful for us, or personally for me, who wish to learn more everyday. I've tasted 2 kinds of bananas - organic and non-org. Personally, I prefer the taste of the organic bananas - they just taste sweeter and has a denser texture than ordinary bananas. Perhaps it's got to do with how the bananas are grown when it's organic. Of course, the reason I eat both kinds of bananas is due to my shopping budget! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't normally eat bananas but for us, cost is the important factor. Besides, I don't see the harm in eating a conventional banana, as you don't eat the skin anyway.

    IMO, companies and farms are touting organic because they think they can get away with charging higher prices. Slap an "organic" label on something and immediately make twice as much. It's just a label. If you take the label off, will the consumer know the difference between an organic banana and a conventionally grown one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. nate 2.0, you are right on the cost factor. My hubby can't taste the difference btw the conventional and organic, but I could. ;p
    Maybe my taste buds are more sensitive ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We get Dole bananas here in Singapore too, but dun have Organic ones leh...

    ReplyDelete
  11. KM, I don't think I have seen organic bananas either. What organic fruits are there in Sg?

    ReplyDelete