Steamed herbal chicken
What was done differently - different herbs were used. And I'm going to tell you more about these herbs at the bottom of this post.
I've done double-boiled soup before. After looking at Pea's recipe, I decided to use the only herbal pack left in my pantry, to do this- not as a herbal soup, but as this. The herbal pack has the words " 六味汤 " (literally meaning, Six-Flavored Soup) on it. It has six ingredients* - polygonatum odoratum, dried longan, dioscorea opposita, nelumbo nucifera, lilium brownii, and euryale ferox. Gosh! I have difficulties pronouncing them! I don't really know what it tastes like when boiled as a soup. Will it have six-flavors? Six flavors but what flavors? All unknown. Naturally, I will be treading on untested grounds, risky waters, if I try recipes other than soup.
However, I reckon it harmless (at most I just waste a pack of $1.50 herbal pack, *sad*) if I turn it to a steamed herbal chicken, rather than doing the traditional herbal chicken soup. The soup pack does not have Tong Kwai (Dang Gui-当归), Tong Sum (Dang Shen-党渗), as what were used in the original, but it has other herbs which, I suspect, will infuse a completely different flavor to the chicken. In addition, I added my own honey dates, and wolfberries (goji berries).
Left: pre-pack herbs; right: my own honey dates and wolfberries (goji berries).
Steamed herbal chicken (serves 2)
Ingredients: Pre-packed herbs, some honey dates, and wolfberries
Seasoning:
-1tbsp sesame oil
-dashes of pepper
-1tsp brown sugar
Marinade (for chicken):
-2tsps oyster sauce
-1tsp dark soya sauce
-1-2tsp sesame oil
Method:
1. In a bowl, mix the seasoning mixture and chinese herbs.
2. Steam the ingredients for about 45mins-1hr.
3. After that, pour the seasoned herb mixture onto a aluminum foil and allow cool. Wrapped in foil, fridge overnight in air tight container (Precious Pea, you mentioned you had some leftover cooked chicken for next day's lunch and it was even tastier, right? So, I kept the steamed herbs overnight in the fridge to allow even more time for the herbs to release and infuse flavor. Just like marinating...). Am I being stupid ? :O
4. Next day, have your chicken thawed. If you are using bigger chicken parts, like a big drumsticks, make a few incisions on the chicken to ensure the chicken can be cooked through (Note: If using smaller chicken drummettes or wings, just make 1-2 incisions on the chicken)
5. Marinate lightly. Set aside.
6. Steam (reheat) foil of herbs for 5-10mins
7. Open up the foil of herbs, place marinated chicken into the herbs and make sure to mix the herbs evenly on the chicken.
8. Seal it real tight and steam for about 45min-1hr, or even longer, till the chicken is cooked through
Pain(time)stakingly, but very tasty. Thanks, Precious Pea! :)
For Weekend Herb Blogging taking place at FoodBlogga this week, take the opportunity to learn more about these six Chinese herbs in the six-flavored herbal pack:
1.Polygonatum Odoratum (Mandarin pronounced yu-zhu): This has a sweet, slightly bitter taste. Revolving around the root, some species of this genus-Polygonatum, are believed to have medicinal properties.
2. Dried Longan: Longans are rich in glucose, sucrose, coarse fibers, Vitamins A, B1, B2, C, niacin, tartaric acid, protein, fat and many kinds of minerals, known to be used to beautify the skin and eyes. The dried product is black, leathery and smoky in flavor and is mainly used to prepare an infusion drink for refreshment.
3. Dioscorea Opposita (Mandarin pronounced huai-shan) : The ladies will love it - ANTI-AGING!!!, and being claimed to have medicinal functions too. And I don't even know till now that this is a kind of yam which can be eaten raw.
4. Nelumbo Nucifera (Mandarin pronounced lian-zi): A kind of lotus. Read about its uses here. So interesting. Traditional Chinese Medicine(TCM) however, cautioned not to use these in case of constipation.
5. Lilium Brownii (Mandarin pronounced bai-he): The most common name known to you and me, as lily bulb. It has slightly bitter taste.
6. Euryale Ferox (Mandarin pronounced qian-shi): This is another flowering plant of the water lily family. Often, it is their edible seeds that are used in TCM.
All in all, the six ingredients used together, in this six-flavored pack, is typically used for improving general health.
If you already know your basil, oregano, dill, rosemary etc. herbs all too well, it might be a good chance to know some Chinese herbs you have never heard of. I've provided some useful links above that will even let you have a glimpse of what these Chinese herbs look like. It was so interesting for myself. I hope you find it handy too. :)
Tag: steamed chicken, chinese herbs,steamed herbal chicken
Ah, I would have done the lazy thing and tossed them all into a soup pot. :)
ReplyDeleteI like steamed chicken. The herbs in this recipe reminded me of a time when i was maybe 10 years old and I went to my best friend's house and her mom made black chicken herbal soup. I was completely shocked and I didn't enjoy it at all but had to force myself to eat it. But I do like steamed herbal chicken.Thanks for all the background info.
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful information about the Chinese herbs. When I went to China, I was quite fascinated with the herbal shops. I don't think I've had chicken cooked like this, but it sounds like it would taste good, and very low in fat and full of healthy herbs.
ReplyDeleteHehe, I have a similar soup post in my draft. All the ingredients are the same, except mine was barley instead of dried longan.
ReplyDeleteAll the hardwork was well spent with a tasty herbal chicken in the end. Too bad my hubby doesn't take steam chicken. :(
Thanks for such a wonderfully informative post, Tigerfish! I'm always fascinated to read about medicinal qualities in Chinese herbs, and you've just taught me so much. I just shared your post with mom who is visiting me, and she said, "Where can we get some of that anti-aging one?" :)Thanks for putting so much time and effort into this great WHB entry!
ReplyDeleteLots of big words for healthy, very healthy, good for skin, good for digestion and just eat it its good for you --- herbs.
ReplyDeleteHow was the taste? Ok or not? The one i made not enuff herbal taste. Must do it again one day during weekend.
ReplyDeleteSome of the ingredients can be used to cook dessert (cheng tng):
ReplyDelete(1) lian-zi (2) ginkgo seeds (3) huai-shan (4) bai-he (5) dried longans.
Take note of ginkgo seeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo) cos it has side effects too.
I like I like this...aiya, just reminded me I need to make my claypot herbal chicken liao. :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks soooo good! Thx for putting up an explanation of the herbs. I'm terrible with Chinese herbs and can't read Chinese so i never use them! I need to try!
ReplyDeleteThat was tedious! I bet it tastes awesome.
ReplyDeleteI would have wrapped everything in aluminium foil and steamed them for 2 hours. I'm that lazy. :)
Looks very good. Not a big fan of herbal stuff but do eat them once in a while when mom cooks them. :) This reminds me of my ex chilean boss who has to drink herbal soup at every dinner time when he was staying at his inlaw's place. :)
ReplyDeleteI've done steamed chicken before but not including all these herbs. I can't pronounce them. I don't even know what they are. oops!
ReplyDeleteBut... it looks great and it sounds really healthy!
wandering chopsticks, done that before! ;p so thought to try something different.
ReplyDeletenora b., what made you dislike the black chicken herbal soup? Was it the herbs or the black chicken?
kalyn, I will be fascinated myself. In some countries, chicken cooked like this is sometimes called "Emperor Chicken".
little corner of mine, seems that your hubby does not like lots of things - does that making cooking difficult for you? :O
susan, ahahha.....you made me laugh! Thks for hosting too! :D
steamy, big words, big appetite! :p~~~
pea, very tasty! I like! Thanks so much :D
omnivore, wah you know these herbs arh? I don't even know some of the name of cheng tng ingredients - usually too buzy eating that it will go to my mouth before I get to see it. Haha!
RM, *waiting waiting*
wokandspoon, buy those with english/latin words by the side of those chinese words. You should try it - herbal infusion...very aromatic :D
ReplyDeleteECL, ya lor....maybe I can try steaming or even slow cook for long hours via the "witch's broth" method! hahah!
cooking ninja, what kinds of herbal soup does a chilean take ? Curious....
mae, there are many ways to do steamed chicken. Even ginger and spring onions works fine...and yummy :)
Usu those cheng tng served outside dont have herbs...only those served in my mum's kithen occasionally have...and usu is during the 1st day of CNY she will cook it... but sometimes i realise adding all 5 ingredients will make the dessert "too messy"...haa...
ReplyDeleteCool, you got all the ingredients down to their scientific names! We tried cooking herbal chicken soupl before with pre-packed ingredients but somehow the taste didn't quite feel like the original. Perhaps it had something to do with the quality of the ingredients or the chickens? Anyway, I am sure yours will taste much better!
ReplyDeleteomnivore, no wonder lah...but I never eaten in Mum's Kitchen leh, how I know? :P
ReplyDeleteThe dessert not messy, too much "ho liao"! :D
cool insider, have you tried double-boiling it? Generally, I think double boil retain more taste in the soup.
ReplyDeleteLoveee herbal chicken. I like all the different variations they have at the asian market, once a week in the wintertime. Hey, I got this Singapore's Seah's Emperor herbal chicken mix, I love it, not too strong, very flavorful. Have you tried that brand ? Hmm..perhaps its time to get my crock pot out again hehe, thanks !:)
ReplyDeleteMW, so you have them once a week in wintertime? Hmmmm.....
ReplyDeleteHeard of the Seah's brand but have not tried, have not even seen. I will try if I see it. Thks for your yummy recommendations, as always :D
hmmm
ReplyDeletethis herbal chicken is dry izit?
KM,gravy all below the chicks lah! But I think drier(every thick though, should have added more water) than those Emperor Chicken that can get in hawker center in Sg :p
ReplyDelete