Deep fried ginger, ginger fries

In ancient Chinese tradition, after a woman gives birth, she needs to stay at home and rest for at least 40 days. Ginger claims to create "heat" in the mother's body to warm her up when she feels cold and weak after giving birth. Ginger aids in digestion, and helps balance the mother's mental and emotional state. Ginger also contains zinc and vitamin C which helps increase immunity.

Different forms of ginger used for various cooking infuse different flavors

Healing powers aside. My attention to ginger is all in cooking and in WHB #111 with Kalyn at Kalyns Kitchen.

Young ginger rhizomes are juicy and fleshy with a very mild taste. They are often pickled in vinegar or sherry as a snack or just cooked as an ingredient in many dishes. They can also be stewed in boiling water to make ginger tea, to which honey is often added as a sweetener.

Mature ginger roots are fibrous and nearly dry. The juice from old ginger roots is extremely potent and is often used as a spice in Chinese cuisine to flavor dishes such as seafood or mutton.

While thinly sliced ginger can be added to vegetable and meat stir-fry dishes, thin strips of ginger can also be deep-fried. Hey, ginger fries! Move over...french fries and whatever sweet potato fries :P


This will be THE perfect golden to look our for, in deep-fried ginger strips. The trick is to julienne to thin strips, and deep-fry them in medium-high heat till they turn golden. Do not turn your eyes away while deep-frying - monitor them carefully and strain them out of the hot oil once these ginger strips turn color.



Perfect as a garnish and adds a hint of spice in chicken and pork dishes.

Guess where will these ginger garnish strips appear?

(P.S. Folks, I'm in the midst of a temporary move and has been so very busy with a tight schedule these days. That accounts for my "missing in high-activity blogging action" recently. I apologize. However, I will still be updating my blog whenever possible and of course, visiting yours. :D Just keep your comments coming. It will sure make me less grumpy - something which I have been guilty of ever since the need of the temp. move :p)

Tag: ,

29 comments:

  1. Annie's mum cooked a lot of ginger dishes after she gave birth to our first child. (Chicken kidneys with ginger, anyone?)

    We had so much heaty food, it literally made us sick :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love ginger with pork knuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep-fried ginger? now this is a GREAT idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my family the pregnant and post natal women get pigs feet braised in dark red Chinese vinegar - not unlike balsamic vinegar - with lashing of ginger. The tendons and gelatinous nature of the feet are said to be healing too. I love that dish any time, especially if you drain off the trotter after cooking and briefly deep fry it ...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Anh, this is a great idea. I love pickled ginger, so I'm guessing I would love this too. Love the way the fries are so thin and crispy.

    Sorry to hear you are having to move. That is never fun, but hopefully you will soon get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hihi, my first comment XD

    Luv the beautiful ginger strips... did u use a peeler to cut them so thin? Makes me wanna try making ginger tea hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey..., the ginger strips are very nicely done. A perfect golden colour!

    Where are you moving to? .... and why temporary move?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deep fried ginger sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing! I've never heard of ginger cooked this way. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the common cutlinary ginger Zingiber officinale. There is also the other gingers like Galangal and the one used in asian rojak (Etlingera elatior)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ginger tea but stupidly I didn't buy some when I was in Bangkok... Oh nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I hate moving too, "headache", we did the temp. move to a rental house while our new house was being build, so I know.

    Whenever I fried my ginger strips garnish, it would appear on a fried fish, so I'm guessing fried fish?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love ginger.. but i hate the cutting it up into thin strips.. i'm lazy..!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ginger fries look yummy!
    I just found some crystalized ginger at my local health food shop... and decided to add it to my pumpkin bread. Wow, was it ever a good addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love ginger wine chicken! Grandma makes it every year when i'm back. Totally understand the grumpiness, it's so frustrating moving! Hope things get back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love ginger Tea. Wouw it can be fried too, how the taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  17. you must be a food encyclopedist
    of some high std so u just won

    bsg asian(Chinese) foodipedia award 2007
    ( category international )

    ...we are not joking ok

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of deep-fried ginger before! My mom used to make candied ginger for the lunar new year.

    Hope your move is going well! Sorry I haven't been commenting lately. Busy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always, always, have ginger in stock, fresh ones of course. Thanks for the bit about the ginger fries, that's new to me and will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh! I love ginger too. Ate some 10kg during each of my confinement.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh that fried ginger looks like sucha a delight! i could see it on top of a salad....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Did I read correctly? Ginger fries?! Wow, that is new. I love steam meat with young ginger (and eat the ginger too). It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My family loves ginger too, we cook them in all sorts of ways. My mom loves to make these deep fried ginger strips and usually garnishes it on top of steamed fish, that is really awesome. Now it has become my favorite to do it this way too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ginger fries!!! You're a genius!!! I love ginger anything that I'm sure I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How could this be anything other than completely delicious? Thanks for a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Tigerfish,
    I'm so glad you submitted that fabulous dish for WHB. I haven't seen you in ages, and I realize how much I miss you and your food. I hope you are well. Best of luck, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. First time visitor to your blog and I too and awestruck but the simplicity and innovativness of fried ginger...worth trying!

    ReplyDelete