More hotpots in Taiwan?

Oh yes, moving gives me headaches. Moving is not fun. You are right! How could moving be fun? The healing powers of ginger cannot cure me and my headaches, especially when the temporary move will be out of California. :( I will miss California - especially the weather. Of course, I'm not off to gloomy London though I've just written some good food around in London.

Well, it'll be 3-4 months of more hotpots in Taiwan. Frankly, the interesting night markets or street food is not making things any better. I don't look forward to the numerous scooters on the road. What spout of toxic poisonous choking exhaust from the populous scooters. I need to wear a face mask. I don't look forward to the dirty air around (so I'm going to stay away walking along the streets as much as possible) . I won't have Trader Joes which is just steps away from my apartment. I will miss the convenience and easy access in that. No more farmer's market for fresh local seasonal produce. I need to get use to that. Oh, you need to know it's not as easy to drive in the main cities in Taiwan, compared to cities(San Francisco excluded) around the bay area. First, you need to look out for scooters all around you. Second, you need to drive like a "road-bully" so that you don't get forever stuck in a traffic. We are not even thinking of renting a car to drive around to shuffle ourselves point-to-point. What!? No car! No walking on the streets! I feel soooo imprisoned !!! :O

Well, I've not stayed in California for donkey years long enough to justify the deep emotional ties I have with this country but I will not hide my feelings. The air, the space, the lifestyle, ermmm....and maybe the shopping, will be so much better here than in Taiwan. Comparing political, economic, social-cultural, and other aspects, this would take too much of my time to put them in perspective. I will do it when I sober up and get myself sorted. My thoughts are all jumbled currently, thus there is no sequence when I pen them down at this moment.

No place is a perfect haven. Just have to start getting use to it!

The cooking continues...of course! (I hope) :p

16 comments:

  1. It will be hard, missing all the great things about the Bay Area. But you'll soon enough find some great things about Taiwan that you can't find anywhere else. Here's to new and fun discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owww...hugs! In no time you will adapt to this new life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey tiger, why you going to taiwan? are you coming back to cali? must blog still, ok? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, tigerfish, hv not been blogging and blogwalking much for the last few months. Drop by today and see that u r moving to TW??!! Wat a surprise.
    im going to TW in Dec, to Taipei and Yilan. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it will be hard for you...don't forget blogging still :)
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are moving! Oh I'm so gonna miss u in California, although we haven't met in person but having someone that I know of in the same state makes the difference.

    Good luck, Tigerfish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tigerfishy!
    I didn't realize your Taiwan posts were a recent move! I thought you were on vacation! Oh but think of all the great new adventures you'll have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. U moving? U coming back to CA after the move? Well, at least it's only temporary. So think of the positive and make the most of it. Heard they have lots of good food there. All the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. why move so far away? i guess you will adapt well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good luck with the move! Look to the bright side, there will be lots of cheap and good chinese food in Taiwan. And culinary inspirations I hope. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. You moved to Taiwan!? Oh.... I can go see you! soon.... hehe....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your move, and can't wait for your lovely cooking in Taiwan with all the local ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can totally understand your feelings. I have lived in NYC for 10 years and have not driven a car in as long. So the thought of living elsewhere and having to drive freaks me out so much.

    We all have comfort zones. But challenging yourself to move outside of that comfort zone is a good thing. Good luck on the move.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nate, yup. I miss Trader Joes already.

    little corner, I hope so

    the expedited writer, i will still blog, of course :)
    after taiwan - not sure to Singapore or back to US.

    zeezee, I have not gone to Taipei yet but I heard it's good.
    As a tourist, I think you will enjoy the good food and other stuff in Taiwan.
    But I don't think you want to stay here as a local. Just my opinion.

    andaliman, thanks for being around.

    lin, we are both from Singapore, ye?

    wandering chopsticks, great adventures???!!! I hope that are good ones.

    blurmommy, yep. For each move we make, we always learn something out of it.
    It's the experience.

    keropok man, very far meh. Ok lah. Near to Singapore leh. Anytime can go back and eat mee siam, nasi lemak, laksa etc etc
    hahahhaha.....

    mandy, i hope so too. Culinary inspirations....

    ECL, when ? when?

    east meets west, hmmm....i need to get use to reading labels in Mandarin. Cannot leh, hard for me.

    ming, I have moved out from my comfort zones a couple of times. Yes, each time, it does not feel good but
    when you look back, you will be glad you get to experience and learn stuff that is once-in-a-lifetime.
    Thanks for the encouragement, man!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aiya, Asia is really not bad. I for one do not really like the lifestyle in the US--too slow, boring, and uninspiring. (OK, OK, I know, I am a US resident, and US citizens please please don't hate me.)

    I think the reason is because I grew up in Penang, a chaotic little island--disorganized and chaos makes a place real. I have no problem driving around in Asian cities, I was born to drive that way. I am deeply Asian, really. If only I have the opportunity to live in each Asian country for a few months each, I would really love that. And yes, ultimately, I wanted to move back to Penang for good. Can't wait!

    That being said, I think you will get used to it. Take it in with open arms and enjoy the ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree. Moving sucks! Hope you settle in soon!!

    ReplyDelete