Night market, street food in Taichung and Hsinchu, Taiwan

I would think that the night market and street food in Taiwan is as famous as its beef noodle soup, stinky tofu and Betel Nut girls (scantily-dressed young women selling betel nut on roadside kiosks in Taiwan). One of the famous night markets in Taichung (central Taiwan), Taiwan is Feng Jia Night Market (逢甲夜市). If you think that duck blood cubes are digusting, you can find more disgusting stuff such as gizzards and intestines in night markets, and sound-weird stuff such as "frog eggs". We were really not that adventurous in trying those gizzards and intestines.


Almost every corner of the night market, you can find a 滷味 stall where poultry meat and innards and cooked/stewed in thick gravy sauce or broth of brine or dark soy - @ Fengjia Night Market


"Frog eggs" (青蛙下蛋) - it's just vegetarian gelatin and typically used in dessert drink - @ Fengjia Night Market



You won't be hungry walking the night markets. Find snacks such as grilled prawns, oyster omelette ( 蚵仔煎, pronounced oh-ah jian) and glutinous rice balls (粉圆).


This was real good and fresh. Cruel though since prawns/shrimps are directly removed from a live tank and instantly cooked live and struggling, on the hot charcoal grill, till dead and ready to be eaten - @ Fengjia Night Market


Oyster omelette - @ Hsinchu

We do not like the Taiwanese version laden with too much tapioca flour and red sweet sauce. Still prefer the Singapore/Malaysia version with more eggs and oyster, then served with chili sauce. :P


Glutinous rice balls (粉圆) made of sweet potato, taro and served in red bean soup - @ Fengjia Night Market

Night markets and street food is one characteristic culture in Taiwan. Make sure you visit one when you are in Taiwan. Some of Taiwan’s more famous night markets include Shilin Night Market and Huaxi Street Tourist Night Market in Taipei, Fengchia Night Market in Taichung, Siaobei Night Market in Tainan, and Liouho Night Market in Kaohsiung.

Day time in Taichung. Must be a lucky day to get a clear view.


Eating hotel food can be quite boring at times, especially when you have to eat the same buffet breakfast (part of hotel package) for 6 days. You can still put your creative works into play. Am I playing with food again? :P

In this exploration, I found that bacon with waffles drizzled with maple syrup is such a good match. It is not playing with food. It is experimenting! You can try making this at home.

The sweet and savory never fail to surprise me :)

Not very healthy but for the convenience, an instant noodle bowl can sometimes be an enjoyment in the hotel room.


Instant noodle bowl - dang gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis - a kind of chinese herb) duck flavor

Tag: , ,

18 comments:

  1. I love love love night markets! I've never been to this one, but it looks wonderful. I always seem to buy a bowl of noodles, and it always tastes delicious when you eat it on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo...... you make me wanted to go Taiwan so badly........

    ReplyDelete
  3. the grilled prawns reminded me of Jimbaran beach, Bali. They have grilled seafood and fish sell which they caught them fresh, grill and serve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hungry! the best times to visit and eat along the streets would be when the weather has turned cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one thing I have always loved about Taiwan is the food food food...plentiful and everywhere...

    Come to think of it, during my visit early this year, we didn't really have a proper meal..most of our stomach filling activities were at those roadside stalls..keke..

    ReplyDelete
  6. the oyster omelette certainly looks abit too starchy....hmm.. and the waffle+ bacon! sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also plan to go taiwan. Taiwan alot of 小吃.. really delicious..

    I think places where gather with chinese people sure alot of food to eat.. right ?

    First time here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in Taiwan!? Whoa! Yes, lots of food. Eat non-stop. Why would you want to have hotel food? Their breakfast sold at stalls is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. tiger please please keep on posting more good food in taiwan.... especially cakes~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tigerfish,

    this post makes me smile. I like the playfulness of your breakfast combo and the confession of simple yet satisfying bowl of instant noodles.

    IMO, their version of oyster omelette doesn't look as good as the Malaysian version.

    I think the "frog eggs" are also known as biji selasih or Holy Basil seeds. Very nice in a dessert drink with grass jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit Taiwan night market. Good food, nice view, so envy you right now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those gilling prawns look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say that the oysters omelette in Taiwan is really not that good, but all the other stuff, yes, especially the Ma La Hot Pots. BESTEST!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taiwan is on my travel list...now after seeing your post, am even more tempted to book my way there...but no money :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. lydia, if you come to Taiwan, walk their night markets. It was an experience for me.

    thoo2, come....come! :P

    andaliman, the grilled prawns were yum yum. :D

    las montanas, yes....I agree with you. Imagine the Singapore weather....:O
    Luckily the nights here are cooler, though it's still humid like Singapore.

    jason, what did you eat?

    daphne, VERY starchy!!! no like!

    keeyit, thanks for coming by :)

    ECL, hotel food was part of the accomodation mah! Somemore, nearby no breakfast stall leh!

    BBoven, let me find ...CAKES!

    nate, hahha...yes yes...I have tried the Malaysian version but if it's similar to Singapore's, then they are all nicer than this
    starchy version.

    little corner, come come!

    kevin, yes they are.

    RM, hahaha...they use such good quality ingredients for their hotpots here. I like.
    All the handmade fresh sotong ball, prawn balls etc etc..WHOA!

    pea, you travel too much liow recently isit?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often wonder how's the Taiwanese food like. My impression so far has not been positive. Perhaps I still pay that island a visit and see for myself.

    PS. Those prawn sticks look good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right so I used to live in Taichung, and now i live in Canada, and i really miss some of the food from the night markets, so i decided to look for recipes. I found some, but im still looking for one. It looks kind of like an omelette with flour added, but you can add anything you want to it, like cheese, and at the end the guy puts pepper on it. So if anyone knows the Chinese name for it or anything that could help i would appreciate :)
    Another thing i saw in mostly Kenting were the fried coconut milk balls..yummmm!
    I rally need to go back to Taiwan soon!
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi! are you still in Taiwan now? i am studying at Feng Chia University, would love to meet up with you and discuss the happiness of eating =)

    ReplyDelete