Mee Siam, spicy sweet tangy rice vermicelli - all appetizing!

Monologue with my brain...

Brain: Will you be attending the birthday bash?
Me: Birthday? What birthday?
Brain: How can you miss this? You are supposed to cook something for the party!!! You forgot?!?
Me: Oh my god! Yes yes...the party over at Presto Pasta Night. They turn ONE this week!!! It nearly miss me if you had not reminded me. I have not even bought my party dress!
Brain: Dress? What dress? What will you be bringing over? You are supposed to work for it, not just go to it.
Me: Hmmm....I don't think I'm in time to shop for ingredients and cook something. I think I will save myself the trouble.
Brain: What do you mean? What excuse is that? You are going empty-handed?!
Me: Think about it. It's a birthday celebration.
Me(cont'd): I will busy getting to know new PPNers and reconnecting with the old to share "noodledge" (noodle-knowledge). Will also be running around looking for PPN host, Ruth, thanking her for hosting such a wonderful event every week without fail. I rather save my energy for all these. SO...I...MEAN, I will not be cooking anything difficult, not getting myself all zapped even before the big ONE!
Brain: Oh, something delicious, sweet and tangy, as easy as A-B-C, Doh-Reh-Mi, 1-2-3...?
Me: Hahaha...you never fail me. You already know what I am thinking.
Brain & Me (exclaimed): Spicy Sweet Tangy Rice Vermicelli - MEE SIAM!


A rich tamarind (assam) gravy of delightful aroma, drenched over rice vermicelli fried in a sambal spice mix, further defined by the zest of a fresh lime squeeze. This is an all-appetizing delectable dish, originally from the Thais, then later became a marriage among the Nyonyas, Malays and Chinese. Where else can you find spicy, sweet, savory, tangy - all in one dish?

From these pictures, would you have thought I have done this from scratch - pounding the spices for chili paste, pre-frying the chili paste, preparing the vermicelli sambal and tamarind paste etc. ?? If only I did. Now, I could only say "Thank you" to Ready-to-Cook Meat kit from Prima Taste.

Other than their Mee Rebus meal kit which I swear by when I simultaneously get pricked by the "cravings" needle AND biten by the lazy bug , this Mee Siam Meal Kit is also one of my favorites. You are spoilt for ready-made pastes when it comes to curry chicken and even Thai green curries but when it comes to Mee Siam and Mee Rebus, there are not many decent products out there, and I promise Prima Taste stands to the taste test of authenticity.

In the kit, you get Mee Siam paste, chili paste for frying the rice vermicelli, sambal chili and even lime juice - all individually packed! Perfectly sealed and hygienically packaged. You just need to prepare your own rice vermicelli, eggs and shrimps/prawns.

Cooking the rice vermicelli: Soak the rice vermicelli in a pot of hot-warm water till soft. Then heat the rice vermicelli chili paste with some water in a frying pan, and add the soaked rice vermicelli into the rice vermicelli chili paste and mix well.

Cooking the Mee Siam gravy: Mixing the Mee Siam paste with water in a pot and bring to a boil, the lower heat to simmer.

You are all ready to serve. Portion the rice vermicelli into individual servings, top with hard-boiled eggs, and cooked shrimps/prawns, then pour the Mee Siam gravy into the rice vermicelli. You will get all the necessary details in the package instructions.


Mee Siam never look so good when it can be ready in 10 minutes.

Tag: ,

29 comments:

  1. How come you keep dishing up my favourites? On the other hand, I love food! So, it's no wonder. Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah... I've had mee siam and I've had mee siam, but I've never had mee siam like yours... Like the Mee Siam of all Mee Siam! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 3 huge prawns look so appetizing! now I want to go out and grab a pack of that mix too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew convenience food could look and taste so good? But I think it's those giant prawns that are most tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wat instant nooodles looking like this??? thats crazy!..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you made it from scratch? Instant noodles? Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine oh mine .. those prawns certainly look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey TFishy :) Which aZn market did you go to to get this stuff? I'm always craving this kind of cuisine, but too lazy to make my own pastes hehe. That looks so friggin good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very delicious bowl of mee siam! That's what I was told, the Prima Taste mee siam and mee rebus are the must try. Not forgetting the Singapore Laksa too...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haiyoooor!!! Look so delicious lar!
    The prawnssss!!! Make me mouth watering leh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post, glorious dish...all I can say is thanks for being such a great part of Presto Pasta Nights. I can't wait to get a bowlful...I do hope you made plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with u on that one! Mee Siam in 10 minutes woohoo! Prima Deli packs are pretty good isnt it? Their prawn noodles are quite nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. fwah..first time I see a dish where the prawns almost completely cover the noodles...mmmm...love them king prawns ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks good! Especially with those prawns. It sounds really tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks goooooddddd! i am also a big, no HUGE fan of "gravy" coming from packets HAHAHA

    i've "cooked" (lol) rendang, opor, sambal goreng, gulai, kare (curry), tom yum goong, tom kha, etc etc etc...from packets...okok i should not be proud of this, plz forgive me, culinary god (on my knees, shielding myself with a big wok)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum. I love Mee Siam. Yours looks great! I didn't know about Prima taste meal kits. Thanks for sharing the tip about this convenience food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tiger, you are such a funny girl, I think I made people a little too conscious about that 'voice' in our heads, huh?
    Your Mee Siam looks PERFECT, and ready in 10 minutes? What can be better? xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. boy o boy your monoeats getting into prawny us , so why got so many names one ? but its dry so the touch will be even more stickon gorgeous right ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. 10 minute mee siam sounds like my kind of meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prima Taste has really good spice packs. I'm not a big fan of mee siam personally but yours look fantastic! But then I'm easily won over by big prawns haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your comment at my blog. Wish I can get Prima Taste here. Heard so much about it especially all their sauces. By the way, the mee siam looks really good. Do you mind if I link you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes.. i had one prima taste mee siam.. from fellow blogger in BC .. a few years ago.. ;) it was really good.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow those SHIRMP!! love it... and the noodle too:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahaha! I like your conversation with your brain. The Rice Vermicelli looks really tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  25. How is mee siam different from pad thai? When I was a kid, my neighbor used to make mee siam and give our family some to try. When I moved to the US, I tried pad thai and it reminds me of mee siam.

    So I assumed mee siam = pad thai.

    Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am here waiting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wmw, that shows we have similar tastebuds!


    kenny, heee heee....


    noobcook, oh go and get it!

    lydia, hahaha...this is one of those better convenience foods that never freak me out!

    joe, hahahah! next time when you dine at posh restaurants or what, don't be surprised it came out from convenience packs!

    judy, from scatch? Too much work lah!

    wilfrid, can sell for $5 or not?

    jadedone, I wonder if Ranch 99 has Mee siam. They have some other Prima products though.

    little corner, ya ya...mee rebus also good!

    bigfish chin, yum yum!

    ruth, thanks!

    daphne, please remember to get some when you are in Sg and bring them back to Australia.

    jason, hahhaa.......must show off the more expensive ingredient mah!

    kevin, oh yes! tasty!

    mocha rita, can i call you that? :P ....you are so funny. I am no god. I do short-cuts and cheat-sheets too!

    KC, where are you located?

    oh for the love of food, hahhahha!

    team bsg, i cannot let all the gravy drown the prawns leh! for photo's sake oni lah!

    wokandspoon, mine too!

    nilmandra, you no like Mee Siam?

    I cook4fun, don't mind of course. I just linked you!

    mamabok, must get hold of some again lah! If only I had some or could get them here, I would send them to you!

    dwiana, tasty!

    windy, I thought I was weird to have that conversation :P

    ming, different. No equal. Mee siam is wetter. Pad Thai is dry and most of the times flat rice noodles (kway teow).
    Now I think if I ever have a chance, I shd send a pack to you, and let you try Mee Siam. But of course it's not that healthy as salads.
    I get the feeling you eat very healthily :O

    big boys oven, and ...I am waiting for your macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a suggestion why not we use spagetti mee and more healthy than ordinary mee.I m ipoh i make my own pissa taste lot better! erh

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh i never thought about getting the ready made sauce! will do that this weekend!

    ReplyDelete