Mak Man Kee - an old-fashioned board menu on the wall. A traditional noodle shop in Jordan district, Hong Kong.
See the numbers below those vertical string of Mandarin characters - those are the prices of the food items.
One of the best wonton noodles I've had in my life, I swear. It's in the noodles, the soup broth, and the wonton - 云吞, shui kow -水饺 . All that makes this...THE noodles I came back for, more than once, in my 2-day trip to Hong Kong. The portions come small. With a full appetite, I don't think there is any problem swooping down two bowls. What comes into the making of the soup/broth ? Are there any true-blue Hong Kongers or Cantonese cuisine pro who can tell me? Without fail, bits of Chinese chives (the white, non-chlorophyll version of its green family**) can always be seen floating in the soup.
"The egg noodles are springy and has that biting and chewing satisfication;
each dumpling - wonton or shui kow - filled generously with ingredients;
oozing out with the "juice" sensation;
when greedily savoured "
"The beef brisket noodles in a plate, comes dry or in soup;
Beef briskets braised to perfection - also good;
But we still prefer the noodles in soup "
You know how delicious is the food when you can even make your sentences rhyme...
Nathan Congee - yet another traditional mom and pop eatery at Jordan. You get to watch just that one-and-only chef cook. He is situated right at the store entrance, at his tiny cornered kitchen. A stove where he cooks the porridge/congee and then that same tiny space where the porridge/congee is poured into individual bowls. I wonder how he does that without that claustrophobic feel. Most of the ingredients must have been prepared in advanced - pre-washed, pre-cleaned, pre-cut or chop. He just needs to portion the right amount of ingredients into the pots of simmering cooking porridge/congee.
This non-flashy and non-flamboyant chef's corner is found exactly at the store entrance (on your right). There is even a lack of space that a table has to be used to place the plates of dough sticks (油条 )
Here, a good ol' bowl of mixed pork porridge 及第粥, made from all parts of the pig - typically lean pork slices, minced pork balls, pork liver and pork intestines. Full of pork flavor sans any pungent smell of innards.
Not enough Hong Kong eating? You can indulge in more desserts, get yourself stressed-up in a tea cafe or watch time pass by in a traditional teahouse.
Tag: hong kong eating, wonton noodles, congee
**Do you know the existence of white chives ? If you do, do you know why they are white and not green ? This "albino" version is created when the usual (green) chives is buried under the soil, and not exposed to sunlight in the process of growing. Without exposure to the sun, no chorophyll is produced, thus the resultant chive is white/pale yellow.
Food Glorious Food! The sight of the noodles and wonton and broth... there's something clean and healthy and comforting about this sorta eating, no? :)
ReplyDeletethis is what i call torturing..imagine all those saliva drooling photos of chinese goodies..hmmmmm i wish i could taste them from here :-)
ReplyDeleteNow I know why your blog is my favorite food blog - you keep featuring all my favorite food!
ReplyDeleteYou are killing me here! I've got 4 hours till lunch and your pics are making my stomach rumble!
ReplyDeleteYum Yum!!! drooling over the wan ton mee now. it 's looking good! how i wish i could fly over to HK n try their food!!!
ReplyDeleteAiyoh, the brisket noodles looks so good!!!
ReplyDeleteYum! The noodle sures look very springy!
ReplyDeleteOMG ... I miss HK already. It is a food paradise, isn't it?
ReplyDelete:)
i remember wanton mee in hk..so springy..so lively..as if they were dancing in the mouth..
ReplyDeleteIt all looks delicious! I've never heard of white chives. I have the regular green plus the garlic as borders in my herb garden - and regularly trim them with the hedge clippers!
ReplyDeleteWontons... yum! And I agree with the springy texture of Hong Kong style wonton noodles. They are the best.
ReplyDeleteAnd I adore Cantonese congee. Much prefer the smooth texture and completely disintegrated rice (no grains!) to the Teochew style of basically wet rice. I love the classic century egg and minced pork congee, and liver and kidney congee. *slurp*
As for the broth, I know that a lot of cooks in stalls like that add dried soy beans to their stock, which makes them taste sweeter. My grandma used to sell noodles in Malaysia and that was what she did.
I've never been a congee lover (something about the texture, I think), but oh, those wontons, that soup, those noodles!!! to me that looks like the perfect meal. If you do find out what's in the broth, please let us know.
ReplyDeleteMy congee never looked so good. :(
ReplyDeleteAiyah! I'm homesick for HK!
ReplyDeleteTigerfish, you make me feel more homesick by looking at the food from HK! You seem to know where the good restaurants to eat.
ReplyDeleteYou have made me ravenous with this post! It's the writing, not just the photographs!
ReplyDeleteThe wanton mee in HK is so delicious!!! *lao hao sui*
ReplyDeleteAnd their porridge is so soothing to the soul!! I wanna go HK!
I totally understand what you mean about good wonton noodle soup. The ones in Chinatown tastes sooo much better than the ones from the neighborhood Chinese take out.
ReplyDeleteI've been eating a lot of congee lately because of the cold winter and my bout with the flu earlier last month.
I like i like i like. All also i like. My mission for my coming trip to HK....FOOD FOOD FOOD!!!
ReplyDeletethe photos make me crave for a bowl of noodles. The noodles look so springy!
ReplyDeleteOMG! I think i will never leave this heavenly place of food!
ReplyDeleteWow! the food photos makes me so hungry. by the way wanna ex-links?
ReplyDeleteyeah! in hong kong you can eat anything, anytime, anywhere...wat am i doing, cooking at home??!! i wonder why...hehehe...try more food when you are here, guys
ReplyDeleteif you can read chinese, here's your local food guide: www.openrice.com
and this one is in english:
http://www.eatdrinkhongkong.com/
Those dishes look really tasty.
ReplyDeletekenny, yup!
ReplyDeletedhanggit, you will be home soon! No more torturing!
victor, we all love good food, don't we?
dp,i get hungry when i see that bowl of noodles too!
ai wei, go go!
wmw, hee hee....I also like!
little corner, indeed! Q Q one!
wilfrid, yes! I wanna go again!
joe, ya...with no fail, the noodles always so good!
katiez, yes...tt's what I gathered from sources. Maybe you can try the experiment.
nilmandra, thanks for the soy bean tip. I believe so. And oh yes, those fully disintegrated rice grains in Canto congee....
lydia, as for the texture, I think it's a matter of getting used to it. In Asia, we have them from young, so maybe it's in the culture too!
mamabok, sometimes I succeed, but sometimes fail-lo!
KC, you are from HK?
windy, I just followed the reviews over the net!
Well, I don't speak good Cantonese so it's hard to ask a local over there.
cynthia, ahhahahah!
ECL, go lah!
ming, it makes a lot of difference, right?
pea, heee heee....when u going?
daphne, yes....nice and springy!
big boys oven, you are right! I wanted so much to go again!
davao food trip, I've linked you!
mocha rita, you must recommend some good ones to you. Maybe I can email you off-line ...HA!
I used that openrice.com too but just to verify my choice is correct and for the address.
It's hard to search in Chinese though. And those in English, the search don't seem optimized! :O
kevin, yes indeed.
I love the Nam Yue Braised Pork Tottler here and also the 虾子捞面
ReplyDelete