Hakka Mixed Stir Fry, a signature Hakka dish - 客家小炒 - WW



Hakka Mixed Stir-Fry - 客家小炒
I did not cook this. But I want to introduce it to you. A stir fry dish that is signature in almost every Hakka restaurant or eatery. If you are a Hakka, and you cook at home, this is ONE dish you better perfect or learn to do as it is such a representative dish in the Hakka culture.

Hakka Mixed Stir-Fry (客家小炒 Ke Jia Xiao Chow) uses ingredients such as pork, dried cuttlefish, firm tofu (tau kwa, 豆干 ), celery, scallions or spring onions, ginger, garlic and red chili. These are all key ingredients. Missing one? - nah...it's not Hakka Mixed Stir-Fry 客家小炒 anymore. Most of the ingredients are prepared and sliced to strip-forms to ensure consistency in cooking and presentation. The basic seasonings are simple - soy sauce and rice wine. I would think the cooking technique poses more challenges. How to get dried cuttlefish that are perfect to chew yet not rubbery and hard to bite. How to get tender juicy strips of pork within that few minutes of high heat frying. How to get a resultant dish which has no sauce/gravy and...yet not totally stripped DRY? Like how wise Jaden expresses, not all stir fries come in "....goopy brown sauce...". Yes, and this is definitely one of them! The seqeuence of adding in the ingredients and the heat-control during cooking (mostly high heat required) is essential to getting the perfect textures required in this dish.

Now I have given you the nearest/closest English calling to this dish, and the official Chinese name, it's time you go search for some good recipes and try it out if you are interested. Or if you already know how to cook this in your daily rituals, post it and share the tips with us. :D



Tag: ,

18 comments:

  1. I don't think I have this dish before. Not a Hakka leh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aiyoh! Your posts always make me wanna drool!! :P
    Err, must be dried cuttlefish arh? fresh ones can?

    p/s: Yup, the shot of the sky was taken from my house window :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The basic seasonings are simple - soy sauce and rice wine."

    That is sort of the basics of good Chinese cooking, no? But I always love adding a dash of sesame oil to EVERYTHING. Call it a habit. :P

    But yeah, it looks simple, but how to get all the ingredients just right? Hence the challenge and the skill...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taiwan has quite a number of good Hakka eateries... looking forward to stuffing myself in Taiwan.

    I'll try to make a stop at Taichung. hehe.... planning... will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not entirely familiar with a unique "hakka" style, although from your description, the method sounds familiar. Would you cook the cuttlefish dried or reconstituted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray! No goopy brown sauce!

    (jumping for joy!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh? this is a hakka dish? I didnt know that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh ... looks very yummy. Definitely have to look out for that next time when I'm back in Singapore :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm 0.5hakka n not yet tried b4 leh...maybe ECL can try it when she's there and let us know how she find the dish....hee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very good and have a lot of wok hei. I am not hakka so I don't know how to make this...:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom is Hakka but I don't think she ever cooked this before, esp. a dish with pork and dried cuttlefish together. Granted, my mom didn't know how to cook until she married my dad so she had to attend cooking classes during the first few months of marriage. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How come my Hakka friend never serve me this dish when I dine at her home? Must be a simple meal for everyday family dinner but not for friends??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good, maybe I should get more Hakka friends? hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum..it looks really really good!
    I'm hungry now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. little corner, i am also not Hakka.

    napaboaniya, dunno leh. That's how they cook it!

    kenny, yes I like to add sesame oil to Everything too! For this dish, yes...you can add a little! :D

    ECL, actually hor...I prefer SE Asia food such as curries...and curries leh!

    hazza, ahahahahha, I need to find out.

    jaden, you funny :D

    daphne, I also found out this dish here. Did not know about it previously.

    the cooking ninja, I'm not sure if Singapore has this. This was taken in Taiwan.

    cynthia, you are welcome :D

    omnivore, I think this is Taiwan Hakka dish?!

    RM, it's ok. Sambal udang you know how to make and it's better :P

    ming, oh ye? Actually I got to find out abt this dish only when I'm here in Taiwan.

    judy, maybe maybe...I don't know now since most Hakkas commenting here say they don't know abt this dish? :O

    east meets west, hahhahah!

    zen chef, it is quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. maybe... but think taiwan got more hokkien pple...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mouth watering....great to see this..


    Thanks for sharing...
    ___________________
    Andrew
    Lock in your price today for Your favorite channels - and keep it there until 2010!

    ReplyDelete