Seen them in Asian supermarkets, especially Japanese supermarkets such as Mitsuwa in the United States, but never tried them in my cooking. Seen them in Taiwan again and decided to have a simple stir fry to this. It's rather common in Taiwan and the people here believe this tuber has beneficial properties. In Mandarin, call it 淮山 ~ pronounced huai shan; or 山药 ~ pronounced shan yao. 山药 literally meaning "medicine of the mountain" - this tuber vegetable indeed has its healing properties. This wild yam even has sexual lubricating characteristics, as documented in Wiki.
Numerous tiny channels in the yam cross-section, are channels that produce the "slime"
This tuber vegetable is starchy and mucilaginous (slimly, gelatinous, sticky) when grated/sliced, and may be eaten plain (esp. those grown in Japan), as a side dish, or added to noodles. Can you see the numerous tiny round channels in the cross-section ? These are channels that produce the "slime". The long tuberous roots are cultivated for pharmaceutical as a superior herb. The dried white flesh of the tuber is sliced into long thin slabs and contains nutrients which can restore and enhance immune functions throughout the system. You can usually find these dried white flesh of thin tuber slabs, packaged with other dried Chinese herbs and sold as a complete Chinese tonic pack. I had a steamed herbal chicken recipe using Chinese dried herbs of dioscoreae oppositae and other herbs before.
Weekend Herb Bloggers, do you know this plant? It's my first attempt at this new ingredient and I hope to share this new learning and insight at Weekend Herb Blogging, returning to Kalyn this week.
Historically, wild yams have been used to treat menopause symptoms, menstrual cramps, gallstones and muscle spasms. Most species of wild yams can be found growing in most temperate climates in the world. One species of yam, Dioscorea Villosa, is believed to have originated in east central North America. A related species, Dioscorea Opposita (featured in this post) is native to China. Both of these species contain diosgenin, a chemical substance with certain medicinal effects. Wild yam species from other regions of the world may have different chemical content and different effects.
Now for the recipe - Stir Fry Chinese Wild Yam
Stir Fry Chinese Wild Yam
Ingredients:
-Chinese wild yam, sliced thinly at cross sections
-2 stalks green onions/spring onions/scallions julienned at the bias
-1 young ginger sliced thinly
-3 cloves garlic minced finely
-1 tbsp oyster sauce
- water
Directions:
1.Heat 1tbsp oil in frying pan. Add in minced garlic, ginger and scallions and fry till fragrant
2.Add in sliced wild yam and mix well in the pan
3. Add the oyster sauce and some water, then allow entire mixture to simmer till wild yam is cooked (Note: it should turn from white to slightly translucent like the picture of the completed dish above)
This is not something that will burden your taste buds. You can have it with rice or pair them with noodles. And it's an absolutely nutritious dish!
Tag: chinese wild yam, japanese mountain yam, Dioscorea Opposita
I have never had nagaimo but it sounds interesting. The stir fries mountain yam looks good.
ReplyDeleteooo.. I can't remember if i hv tried this before. Certainly looks healthy.
ReplyDeleteI've heard of this before, but never seen it or tasted it! I wish I could taste your dish, it looks delicious! Great post and the photos are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteToo slimy for me. This is a key ingredient in okonomiyaki too. But I didn't put it in mine. :P
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I've had wild yam before but certainly not stir-fried! It looks clean and simple and healthy... yums! :)
ReplyDeletewow! interesting! looks like my dad's cane!
ReplyDeletevery interesting. can't say i've had this before but now i'm intrigued. the stir-fry looks tasty and the recipe is quite simple.
ReplyDeleteI know this is very healthy but didn't know before this is actually "huai shan" when dried.
ReplyDeleteBut is it slimy when you stir-fry it?
My mum use this to cook dessert (cheng tng) and soup (potato, carrot, pork ribs, onion, huai shan, corn)...
ReplyDeletei never tasted this yet..whats the taste like??? just curious :-)
ReplyDeleteThe slime is the best part. I like it Japanese style, grated raw over noodles or sashimi.
ReplyDeleteI think I've had them at Korean restaurants. They tastes a little like undercooked potatoes but not as waxy, right?
ReplyDeletekevin, they are good in soup too, I heard!
ReplyDeletedaphne, well....they say it's healthy.
kalyn, thank you.
wandering choppy, really? in okonomiyaki? I did not know abt that!
The next time I try okonomiyaki, I will "scrutinize" it! :D
kenny, stir fried is just my version. I think they are more common in soups!
bboven,hahahahahahahha....LOL!
maybahay, it's new to me too :)
little corner, I only learnt about it recently it's the non-dried version of "huai shan"
omnivore, huh? really? in cheng tng?
dhanggit, undercooked potatoes (according to ming the merciless) :P
chubbypanda, yes yes.....that's what I heard but I have not tried it before!
ming, hee heee...yes....thus I've used your words to describe it to one of my readers here :P
great choice of veggie. it's always interesting to learn about a new ingredient.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing.
I bought this once at the Asian supermarket (I wanted to make yam chips from a friend's recipe, and this was called "yam"), and I must admit that I was a little grossed out by the slime. :D It tasted good, though.
ReplyDelete