Eating in Macau, food you should not miss

Was in Macau more than a month ago and only posting it up now :O ...took me so long! Gosh! Since it was a short trip, we did not (and did not want to) do any "homework" on what-to-eat. Just "follow-our-instincts". Decided. Really...it should not be too difficult. *Sniff a sniff-sniff* and open your bright sharp eyes...

Pork chop bun 猪扒包. Oh...you would never have guessed something so simple can be so good. It's just a minimally-seasoned (probably salt and pepper?) pork chop sandwiched in a warm baguette-style bun. Nothing else. No pickles, no mayo, no bacon, no lettuce, no tomatoes. But, IT IS GOOD.

Along the streets from Senado Square to Ruins of St. Paul

Fresh-Water Crab Congee 水蟹粥 . We did not go to the best shops to try this. We would have if we have done our due diligence. Nonetheless, they are almost everywhere. Cooked in scallions and ginger, and just...a fresh water crab, this congee/rice porridge is mildly sweet (must be from the crab) and cooked to smooth velvety consistency.

Stall opposite Holiday Inn, Macau

African Chicken is one of those must-try dishes in Macanese cuisine. I wanted to try this signature dish at SOLMAR along Avenida da Praia Grande, recommended by Kate - Aapplemint but alas...it was rather out of place for us to go considering we did not have much time in Macau.

African Chicken in Cafe Deco, Venetian Macau

Instead, we had our African Chicken in Cafe Deco, Venetian Macau. I believe it was a modern twist to the traditional African chicken in which the sauce/gravy is cooked with the chicken. Here, the sauce is served by the side. It's acceptable for me this round, since I have not tried African Chicken before anyway. The sauce/gravy is indeed a BLAST! wOOt! Flavor-bombed with a mix of spices. I wonder if it's a mix of Portuguese, Indian, Malay, and Chinese spices since that is representative of Macau cuisine. Also tried a Pan-Seared Bacalhua (dried cod fish, a tradition in Portugal) dish and Caldo Verde (vegetable) soup. They were both good. Only thing bad - the damage. 2 soups + 2 main courses setting us at USD$72/-

We had to find something to eat before we board our departure flight. Found something nearby where we stayed (yes, opposite Holiday Inn, Macau) and had some tea-cafe-style food.

Beef brisket noodles...and


Ham and spaghetti soup 火腿意粉. I was actually expecting macaroni but it was spaghetti.


Well, there ends our 2D1N trip in Macau. A place where East meets West, tradition meets modern, the old meets the new. You could see all these aspects in their cuisine and food. How interesting. Though I was not there long enough to immerse in their culture, the food has definitely aligned us.

Tag: , ,

27 comments:

  1. Macau is such a great place, i was there last year and i had a great time. I probably gained 5 lbs on the little egg custards alone. Yum! :-)
    You make me want to go back so bad now with all these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this makes me sooo wanna board the next ferry to macau...then i remember there's wong chi gei in central and macau char chan teng near my place hehe YUMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pic of the Fresh-Water Crab Congee nearly scared me! It's like a scene from a horror film, the villainous creature creeping out of the soupy swamp... except this looks so good and tasty... I think we'll eat the villainous creature instead! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. now u make me wanna go macau! Never heard of African chicken and hope to try it one day ;)

    and yeah, I agree that the pic of the crab peering out from the soup looks kinda creepy! looks like we have too vivid an imagination, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Macau before. And yes, the african chicken looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents went to Macau a couple years ago. They didn't say much about the food except that it was good.

    The African chicken meal sounds expensive. But then again, it's a hotel/tourist restaurant so I'm sure the prices are a little higher than usual.

    Of all the dishes you showed, the most DELICIOUS looking one is the beef brisket noodle soup. What can I say, I'm a simple guy who likes his beef brisket noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did a one-day visit to Macau on our last visit to Hong Kong, and we went to Solmar for the African Chicken. It was good, but not transcendent -- and it was expensive -- if I had another day in Macau I wouldn't choose to go there. I'd go for noodles, or fish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually felt sorry for the crab! It looked like it was drowning, reaching out a claw saying "help me!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. african chicken looks good...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talk about a flying visit! Mmmm that kind of texture is my kind of congee, yum. That pork chop in the bun looks like bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tigerfishy,
    How could you pass on Macau egg tarts? I've seen the porkchop sandwich sold around here at the HK cafes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crab: Hi everyone, want to join me in the pool? Just had a good swim...
    ;p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, pork chop buns are GENIUS. I like them better in steamed buns (rather than baguette-style) because it's easier to bite into but no matter. Meat in a bun is always good.
    The crab congee looks gorgeous! I almost wouldn't want to eat something like that. How do they manage to keep the congee so white and clean with the crab in it? Do they boil the crab separately first?
    Hmm.
    The African chicken looks equally delicious - would love to try that some day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wished I'd visited Macau while on my trip to HK... THe food looks sooo gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I'm allergic to wheat but I just wanna taste what that pork chop bun taste like!

    Have you ever tried hainanese pork chop? Now, put that in a toasted bun with grilled onions and that savoury tomato sauce and you'll be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we already knew since you were rushing in tiny Macau that something will be missing , that macaulian fish. But your pork, crab, african ( whats that !)chicken , n ham still ok lah. But why the congee looks so whity thickly sticky, becoz the one leg crab struggling to zoom out isssit

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ham and spaghetti soup, okay this I cannot stomach. :P

    Sheesh, hop over and teach me how your keep your PR. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. my mom and sister-in-law were in macau in october 2007. this entry would have led them to some good eats! i hope to visit macau, too! the pics are beautiful. i miss congee! i have yet to try congee here in texas. maybe i finally should. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much tasty looking food! Especially that pork chop bun. It looks nice and simple and yet good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aiyooo....now making me so miss Macau. Bad bad bad. Hehe..luckily i am going again in June and definitely will try the crab porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love the food in Macau.

    Especially that pork chop bun!

    I think it is all about the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh may, what a lovely life you have! Eating those food? I don't mind at all:) Specially beef brisket noodles - it just successfully make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always wanted to try one of those pork chop bun. Hopefully someday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. zen chef, i gained too :O

    mocha, you are so near to goodies...*envy*

    kenny, heee heee


    noobcook, African chicken is yummy! If you like Indian/Malay food, think you will like this


    didally, my first time there too :)

    ming, African Chicken - I think it depends where you have it.
    HK has very good beef brisket noodles :P

    lydia, noodles! noodles!

    hazza, don't make me guilty!

    myf, yes!

    nilmandra, no no...much better than bacon!

    wandering choppy, no I did not. Dedicated a full post for those tarts "P

    omnivore, drowning still say liddat :P

    thesassychef, the baguette bun was warm and nice. Never tried them in steamed buns before!
    I don't know how they cook the congee! but the congee has some flavor :)


    stella, it's quite easy now I think. You can take the ferry over for a day trip.

    sammy, yes...i tried hainanese pork chops once or twice and like it too!

    team bsg, congee was not really sticky....it's the crab's fault! "P

    little corner, ya lor.....can try other food!

    munchkin mommy, hard to find good congee in texas ah?

    kevin, we had 2 rounds of the buns. Good, definitely.

    pea, wah...you alway travel also huh?

    wilfrid, recommended good ones to me leh!

    dwiana p, made me hungry again while reply to your comments...

    blurmommy, heee....someday somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  25. too bad i wasn't able to try the pork chop bun when i was there 2 months back...will definitely have to try that the next time i go...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post!
    Macau is such a wonderful place. Like they say in Portuguese, “não há outra mais leal” (there is no other more loyal).
    Helder Fraguas

    ReplyDelete
  27. The name of that pork bum is bifana in portuguese. It is traditionally eaten with a bit of mustard...
    Macau is a great place indeed!
    :)

    ReplyDelete