Famous braised duck wings in Xi Men Ding, Taipei


Our first time traveling northwards to Taipei after a couple of months in Taichung (central Taiwan). Took us about an hour via Taiwan's High Speed Rail (HSR) and cost us 700NT (USD23/- per person, one way). If you forget about driving, going by the Taiwan HSR should be, in my opinion, the fastest and most comfortable way to travel to Taipei.

We did not plan much. We did not even go up the fastest lift touted in Taipei101 because Taipei101 only opens at 11am and we were there early at 9am. Bummer!

Could only take pictures from the outside since the doors were not opened!

Off we go...heading off to
Chiang Kai-Shek (CKS) Memorial Hall. I admit I am not so into Chinese history (or to be more specific...anything history and stuff...oops!) and spent only a short time around in CKS Memorial Hall. Then headed off to Tamsui late morning on the same day. The day ended traveling back from Tamsui to Taipei's Ximending -西門町, Taipei's equivalent of Harajuku - a famously hip place in Japan that represents youth style and fashion. Don't ask me what I am doing in a place like that! I felt out of place! I AM soooooo OLD!!! Waahhhhh.....:(

What did I do there ? Just walk around...bought myself a canvas tote bag...and some famous braised duck wings.


Since they were cold when I bought them, I chose to bring them back home so that I can heat them up (steam) before I enjoy them. These were very flavorful wings, braised to perfection. I guess if you were to eat them as-is (not heated up), the texture might be a tad chewy. But when steamed for a while, they exudes more fragrance - must be from the braising spices used! Less chewy, more moist and soft but still good.

Braised duck wings at Lau Tian Lu-老天祿滷味.
台北市武昌街二段55號
WuChang Street, Section 2, #55, Taipei
In Ximending vicinity

Retrace my journey:
Tamsui, Taipei Country, Taiwan - Part One
Tamsui, Taipei Country, Taiwan - Part Two


Tag: , , ,

24 comments:

  1. I had it once (served cold) and I didn't really care for it. I guess I should have tried the steamed version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm never tried before. I miss BBQ duck

    ReplyDelete
  3. That train looks like something fromthe future! We can get those wings here in Manchester too, however, as nice as I think they taste, I found duck wings to be too much bone and little meat for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had it before... kinda looks scary to be honest, hahaha...

    Now why don't they serve braised breastmeat or drumsticks instead? :P

    (I'm all about the meat... malas to pick the little morsels from wingbones...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't like it cold either. I heard the wings are really popular in Taiwan isn't it? Lucky u!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had duck wings, but I don't think I'd like them cold. Hot and spicy, maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like chicken wings! i can just imagine the taste .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love wings!--chicken wings.. that's actually what i ordered everytime we go to kfc..now i wonder if duck wings tastes like chicken wings? the pic looks yummy though :)

    check out my weekend shot here and tell me what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post and great shot of the high speed train.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those skinny wings look torn and really bru(a)ised ! but we detect a strong fragrance and taste there, must be good

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been to Taiwan but it's on my list! I'm not one for cold savoury food myself, the hotter the better. These Braised Duck wings would be cool when they're hot! Am I confusing you Tiger?? HA!HA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's of course far more authentic than the Chinese restaurant down the road. But still, you've given me a great hunger for some crispy duck pancakes today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That first picture looks like a neat way to travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. is that the train that levitates!? you have been to the future and i'm so jealous of that and the wings they look delish!! as usual... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm beginnign to think newer trains are looking more and more like very large sneakers.

    These are great photos, even to these vegetarian eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I usually stay in ximending because of the youthfulness of the place! hehe.... I look old but the heart is not old leh! haha....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm, that duck wings look like something they eat with beer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. y do u torture with 1 dish at a time..its crazy!..nvr did like the wings..but bring on the breasts! duck 1s i mean..

    ReplyDelete
  19. The braised duck looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh! you had them! wish we can good duck wings in KL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these. Had this at Xi Men Ding too! I used to have these weekly here in Singapore. Oh.. I miss chewing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I missed the HSR but took the HSL (not ham sup lou or lecher) but high-speed lift at Taipei 101.

    You took the HSR but missed the HSL.

    That makes us even.

    And I took the duck's tongue but you took it's wings.

    Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ming, yep...think steamed ones are better.

    indonesia eats, I like BBQ duck:P

    hazza, look like something from Japan huh? :)
    Yes, but it's DA bones that make them good to chew on...kekekke


    kenny, heee heee...I'm the opposite, I always like the bones and skin parts....
    too much meat...no like!

    daphne, innards are popular here! Yeeks!

    lydia, yes.....go for the warm version.

    snippets, I like chicken wings too!

    wirelessbliss, hmmmm...they taste different. But I never tried fried duck wings ala KFC style before! :O


    carver, thanks!

    team bsg, yes...injured by me!


    carol, I know exactly what you mean! :D

    scott, wow, crispy duck pancakes? Peking duck, maybe? wrapped in paper then egg wrappers ? ;p

    natalie, indeed!

    aria, good-to-chew-on-wings..yums!

    sandycarlson, hahahaha...wat a comparison but after a second look, I do agree with you :D

    ECL, hhahahahha......staying there is convenient. Near shopping and food. :D
    So you hang out in Far East Plaza often too ? kekekekekke

    little corner, YES!

    joe, but that's the only thing we ate in Taipei! Yes one thing!

    lynn, indeed.

    bboven, I can get good duck wings in braised duck rice stalls in Sg! :D


    didally, where where...in Singapore? *excited*

    victor, duck tongues? Don't dare try those.....sounds yucks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favourite TV snack!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete