Read a food menu in Chinglish ? Almost impossible!


I try to be wordless but just could not help it!

Now...if you are a foreigner in Macau and does not read Mandarin, would you jump at this menu?

Mild one to start with...
What is Soaked Chick? Shouldn't it be Braised Chicken with Abalone Sauce?


One by one, the horror unveils...


Would you know Crisp skin grilled meat food...= Roast pork (烧肉 ) ?

The syrup fork cooks = Honey glazed BBQ pork char siew, 叉烧 )?

Though Char Siew was indeed derived from traditional way of cooking pork where slices and strips of syrup-glazed and marinated pork are are skewered with long forks and placed in a covered oven or over a fire , surely you can't name a dish...THAT??!?!?!?!??!

Another absurd, ridiculous one...Burns the taste double, to put together the food
WHhhaAT? HARrrr? HUH? AHHHH? Does Roast Meat Combination Plate (烧味双拼) makes more sense ?

The high quality goods burn the taste
I do not know what kind of dish this is....even from the Chinese version - 极品烧味 literally meaning Premium Roast Meat, it's hard to know the specifics.

Have a good laugh! LOL!

You may like to try these recipes. Though I'm not an expert in naming dishes, I'm sure they make more sense than the above.
BBQ Pork Pastry ~ 叉烧酥 ~ Char Siew Sou
Braised Pork Belly
Slow Cooked/Braised Pork Ribs
Oyster Sauce Chicken Wings ~ 蚝油鸡翅


Tag: , ,

41 comments:

  1. *Pengz* if I'm there reading the menu. I'll be too full from laughing to order anything already! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, everything loses a lot in exact translations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wahahahaha!!! lucky they don't do this kind of chinglish menu in hong kong...hmm most of the time, they don't even have any english menu AT ALL! hahahaaaaaaa...body language would be your best bet (pointing at other ppl's orders)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me hungry! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chinglish....Now, I can say I learned something already today. [by the way, the food looks yummy]

    My W W is a seedy character...drop by if you can willya? Happy day to you...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waaaaa. I love love the names! Especially these: "The syrup fork cooks" and "Burns the taste double, to put together the food." Made me laugh this afternoon.

    Verb

    Makimeji

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very enlightening. It's almost like German, where they put together a bunch of little words to make a huge word that describes an object.

    Tink *~*~*
    My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  8. It losses something in the translation but makes it funny. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would be fishing out your recipes. they are mouth watering.
    Happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm .. going wordless .. sounds like another celebrity blogger I frequently visit.

    My favorite is "roast duck food". I wonder if it tastes good to roast what duck eats ... and eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh well, not everyone is good in english. at least they tried. :) anyway, what's important is your food tasted good. :)

    happy ww!

    MyMemes: Butt Kicked
    MyFinds: Slightly GUiltless

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I'm sure sliced boiled chicken food is much better than it sounds :) I wonder if they threw those threw Babel fish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha I love reading Chingrish. Good stuff. The "Sliced Boiled Chicken Food" cracked me up. I really don't want to eat chicken food especially when it's mixed with poop half the time.

    By the way, I've been making your BBQ pork pastries like crazy! People devour them all before I can set them on the table at parties.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is hilarious. Thanks for sharing, I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roast duck food? Serving duck's food to human?? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha!! I saw your kind of funny posting in Kenny Mah too..China have the same Chinglish across the borad!!I like Burns the taste double!! what a nice and funny name!!lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the laugh! I love this, "Burns the taste double, to put together the food". LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so hilarious! from soaked chick on, i couldn't stop laughing. thank you so much for this. and you're right, it would be so hard to keep this wordless. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats an interesting but the question can you eat it? :::::))))Happy WW! Mine is up..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazingly funny. What were they thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aren't you glad you can read Chinese?!?! I would be in SO MUCH TROUBLE trying to decipher the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fascinating menu. I am so intrigued with what all these food must be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LMAO! That's one of the worst case of restaurant-Chinglish I've ever seen. Sometimes when we go to Chinese restaurants, my husband just lets me translate certain food for him because the English menu don't always make sense! And sometimes the Chinese and English menus are actually different, with many items only available on the Chinese menu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha, funny Engrish menu. "Soaked chick"? But at least the language is not as bad as the menus at this Kenny Sia's entry.

    ReplyDelete
  25. amazing ain't it the world of language!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha. I love it. Why call it char siu when you can say the syrup fork cooks. I didn't know utensils could do their own cooking. :P

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gimme my Burns the taste double, to put together the food! like...NOW!! LOL!

    when i order things in cantonese...i might accidentally order the shop owner's mom (opppsss)

    btw, tigerfish,
    You're invited to my chinese take-out party, check out the details in my blogpost:
    http://mochachocolatarita.blogspot.com/2008/05/celebrating-my-88th-post-chinese-take.html

    Hope you'll play along :)

    Looking forward to your take on chinese take-out ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  28. ha ha ha..this is what we call direct translations :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOL, i cant help myself while reading your post!! nice to be back again tigerfish :-) i hope to have time to read your old posts thats if my baby girl will allow me to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Burns the taste double, to put together the food: Sound like most of my attempts at cooking! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG forget the chinglish, my eye went to the prices!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL. I had similar encounters in China, where every word 干 is translated to f**k. So you see a lot of f this chicken, f that frog, f that fish, it was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Funny, but true! I have some photos of funny translations and it never fails to tickle readers. I just don't have time to do regular blogging and blogging rounds as I am busy with other things. I promise to resume blogging and do blog-visits as soon as things get settled here on my side of the planet :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. They need to pay someone to do the translation work, honestly! This is really embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. some of the translations r quite funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hilarious! I love the way they utilise the word 'food' - Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  37. funny!! you know once every three months we went to Cleveland Ohio for groceries shopping. Coz they have couple big of Chinese market. Mostly I can find my stuff there. After, we ate for lunch and lucky me I have a friend who is Chinese. So he does translation for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope this post made your day. :P
    At least in the aspect of making you laugh and relieve some stress.

    Victor, thanks for the KennySia's link. So funny, mah! I *peng san* too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Well, I've seen a lot worse... For adventurous eaters, I'd imagine this would be a good thing. Me, I'm a bit of a coward in that department.

    In general though, I like Chinglish. There's some wonderful expressions for "Keep off the grass", like "Tender, fragrant grass. How hard-hearted to trample".

    In my opinion, that's head and shoulders above the "correct" English. Don't get me wrong, if a poorly translated sign is putting lives at risk, you have to bring in a professional translation agency. But otherwise, Chinglish should be left alone. It makes a lot of people smile and it shows that someone else is trying. Neither of which is a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete