Shitake, Trumpet, Beech, mushrooms with vegetables

I felt like this dish today. Something light and familiar. Familiar because I've always had the "privilege" to just sit down and enjoy this simple and tasty dish back home. Now, I need to do all the work, from the vegetable preparation (cleaning, slicing, cutting - this takes the most time!) to the "wokking".


It is homely satisfaction to be able to pick up each bit-and-piece using the chopsticks and nibble greedily; or using a spoon to devour by the scoop-fuls :D

A healthy colorful combination of celery, carrots, sliced red chili...


and mushrooms (a variety of fresh king trumpet, shitake and honshimeiji mushrooms)

Mushrooms Medley with Triple-Colored Vegetables
Ingredients:
- 2 stems of celery, washed and cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot, washed and cut into small pieces or into very thin shreds
- 1-2 sliced red chili, cleaned with seeds removed
- Fresh mushrooms fresh (I use king trumpet, shitake, honshimeiji), cleaned and cut close to size/shape of the vegetables
- 1-2 garlic gloves, sliced thinly
- some ground pork ~ option (Note: If you are vegetarian, you can omit this)
- some white pepper

Seasoning
:
-2 tsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp oyster sauce (Note: If vegetarian, opt for vegetarian alternative)
- water/stock, adjust accordingly


Directions:
1. In a lightly oiled pan, fry the garlic till fragrant, then add celery, carrots and red chili, followed by mushrooms and meat
2. Fry and mix well in the pan (~3-5mins) then add water and seasoning. Allow it to simmer till vegetables and mushrooms are tender and cooked, mixing well in the process
3. Finally, just a dash of white pepper to enhance the aroma

Good with rice and even as-is!


Is there anyone who does not like celery ? I like to use them in soups and stir fries. And how do you describe the taste of celery ? It's unique, isn't it ? Now, this dish has got a taste of fresh vegetables and light earthiness of mushrooms. It's a mildly sweet dish combined with savory seasoning, and celebration of wonderful textures ~ from light crisp of perfectly-cooked celery bits to the tender of mushrooms.

For easy mushroom identification in your next shopping trip, I have attached (far left) pictures of king trumpet, likewise for fresh shitake and beech mushrooms. And if you are a mushroom lover and keen to explore into a variety of mushrooms for your cooking, I have more mushroom recipes for you. Mushroom medley madly indeed, at Weekend Herb Blogging and this week, we are with Susan - The Well Seasoned Cook.

Here are the mushroom recipes I promised you...

Fresh shitake mushrooms
- Chinese Stuffed Mushrooms

Honshimeji/Beech
Mushrooms - Braised Tofu with Pureed Spinach and Mushrooms

Fresh Shitake and Oyster Mushrooms -Simple Chinese Stir Fry Mushrooms

Enoki Mushrooms
- Steamed Cold Fish Rolls



Tag:

16 comments:

  1. Another winner, my dear! I might try this one out too. I have already attempted your Soba Noodles with Tahini Sauce but I couldn't find the pork floss in time. You can read about my misadventures here, haha.

    Yours is the first ever recipe I tried, by the way. *grins*

    Teacher-san...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love to cook this dish too. I really like mushroom. Usually I am a meat-itarian but some veggie dishes are just too good to pass.

    I like your idea of adding different colors to the dish. Must keep that in mind next time I cook that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious to me. Vegetarian dishes are usually easier to make than regular meat dishes because I think it takes a lot less time to cook the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to eat stir fry like this with many variety of vegetables. Just makes me feel I am eating healthy plus it's so colorful and appetizing. Haha..

    I like celery for it's crunch. I like them in soup as well or raw on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The variety of mushrooms looks fantastic! Must be really savoury...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! This looks fantastic!! I want! I love the beautiful medley of colours and your beautifully shredded carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anything mushroom is onz for me!

    hmmm shop for mushroom this weekends maybe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear, I made something very similar to this dish few days ago now sitting in my draft waiting to be posted. Simply dish can be equally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. at all looks so delicious, Ive been stir frying everything these days too! its spring so they are all so tasty like this one! yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks nice and fresh and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see that with a bowl of rice. Very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im starving and that looks sooooooo good!

    I love mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous 'shrooms! Thanks for sharing w/ WHB, Tigerfish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. kenny, thanks for trying the recipe. Will you be trying this mushroom one too ?

    wilfrid, hee heee...this is a very flavorful dish.

    ming,hmmm...but I do not enjoy the preparation time in vegetables...need to wash repeatedly and make sure it's cleaned(of soil)...unless its organic,
    and the cutting, slicing.....

    didally, some pple don't like celery. They think it's smells funny?


    thesassychef, very nice and no sense of guilt!

    noobcook, use your fruit peeler(horizontal type) to shred the carrots.

    km, hee heee....wat u cooking?

    little corner, *waiting* ;p

    aria, spring there shd be much better! Miss the farmer's market!

    kevin, indeed.

    daphne, yes....good with rice

    equal goes it loose, thanks for visiting.

    susan, thanks for hosting WHB :D My pleasure to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh those mushroom looks so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great HL. I have celery and carrot leftover and was wondering what to do with them.... think I'll go buy a little bunch of mushrooms tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete