Beef Noodle Soup in Taiwan - absolutely enjoyed this so far !

In essence, there are two kinds of beef noodle soup in Taiwan. The braised variety in a usually heavy-tasting broth 红烧牛肉面 vs the stewed variety in light broth 清炖牛肉面. It is definitely easier to find a store that offers braised beef noodle soup. The "light broth" variety is a harder find. And to come by one which is good-tasting is more difficult. I absolutely enjoyed the "light broth" version in this particular mom-and-pop beef noodle store in Taichung city, Taiwan and got inspired to have my own homemade beef noodle soup. Mine was all tasty but nothing compared to the one in store. Mediocre, sub-standard, inferior - I'm saying mine! In the face of this...

The broth is very flavorful though it looks not, from the translucent almost-transparent color. Myth busted! Light broth can be full of depth too!


Perfect noodle texture with a five-finger pinch of green onions garnish!


Of course, super tender beef...

Is that beef brisket? I think so. I don't know. But this part of the beef was very intentionally and well selected. Look at the beef cartilage intertwined in the meat. It definitely gives the best bite to the beef.

東佳牛肉面
台中市西區公館路265號 (五權五街 & 五權路路口交會處附近)

Dong Jia Beef Noodle
Gong Guan Road #265 (near intersection junction of Wu Quan 5th Street and Wu Quan Road)
Taichung City, Taiwan
Rest on Saturdays

Tag: ,

19 comments:

  1. i would always prefer the stew thick type of soup..and the meat! it looks so soft and melt-in-your-mouth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love a good pieces of slice beef go with a bowl of beef soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks light n delicious, esp the bone stuck in da meat or de meat stuck in duh bone ! but also got vietnamese fresh looks. bet the green thing is raw too

    ReplyDelete
  4. very delicious and unspicy ! one more pls ! also no we dowant tiger sauce or fish gravy thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a pho...don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was touring Taiwan last year, the tour guide reminded us not to say tang if we wanted to order the soup version of beef noodle. He said that by default, the noodle comes in soup. If we had said tang, we would have gotten only the soup but without the noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did think that it looked like pho but the recent beef noodles soup was not as thick as well.

    I can easily drink the soup up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't eat beef so I have no idea how to compare which is good but the one sold in US the broth is darker color.It's also managed by taiwanese.isn't taiwanese beed noodle have many different version?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tigerfish, I love noodlesoups, I think they are the best especially during the rainy and cold days. But I do not like beef at all because of its "smell" (apologies - I think it's just my crazy self). What do I do to eliminate it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh that soup looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a clear soup with beef at a Cantonese place, but never a Taiwanese version. I don't even know if any place here sells that! It's always the dark-broth version (which we will soon, but I don't know when, try to make). We're looking at recipes but it seems some of them have hidden their "secret" ingredient! ;D

    _ts

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is beef brisket.. but i love the slice ones.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That soup looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.Beef Noodle Soup in Taiwan!
    Wish i hv the chance to try it too ><

    ReplyDelete
  16. aw.....I miss this....
    btw, Taichung is my home town!!!!!
    you're so lucky to be in Taiwan!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely prefer the clear broth type. I need to make beef noodles soon, not had it for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're making me really hungry now. Those look like brisket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That soup looks really good. I wish there was a place where I could grab that for lunch.

    ReplyDelete