Deep Fried Tofu Meat Balls, Tofu Rock-a-pop-pop!


Using potato flour 地瓜粉 will give a more springy (QQ-with dialect connotation) texture of deep-fried coat when compared to the crisp golden coat from cornflour + breadcrumbs (panko) combination. The former still has that crunch to it... just of a lesser degree. I've said, tried and done it in these nori seaweed coated shrimps and repeating this again with pork-tofu mix. Try the steamed version of tofu "pops" if you are opting for super-healthy version. However, "pops" and "steaming" just do not gel together in my head. Fit for a family-style sit-down homemade meal perhaps - this steamed Tofu Balls, and maybe Stir Fry Tofu with Shrimps and Mushrooms, but in a party, THIS is definitely a more welcoming snack! Deep Fried Tofu Pops! Rock-a-pop-pop!


Not at all messy. Bite on these mini tofu pops and beware of "juice" spurting out...

Tofu Pops/Deep Fried Tofu Meat Balls

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb or slightly lesser ground pork or chicken
-1 pack of standard size tofu (Note: silken contains more moisture and the resultant "pop" tend to be more "juicy", not dry. You can use medium-soft or firm but the texture is going to be different)
-1 egg white (as binder)
-1 tbsp soy sauce to season/marinade the pork
-1 tbsp rice wine to season/marinade the pork
- dashes of white pepper to season/marinade the pork
- less than 1 tsp sesame oil to season/marinade the pork
- cornflour to thicken the tofu+meat batter/mixture if too hard to shape into little rounds (plays a binder role, too)
- potato flour for coating

Directions:
1. Mash up the tofu and mix with seasoned ground pork. Add in egg white and mix thoroughly
2. When in a consistency easy to be shape, make rounds out of the mixture (similar to making fish balls from fish paste)
3. Dust or roll them over a light coat of potato flour, set aside

4. Prepare hot oil in wok for deep frying
5. Slide those rounds by the side of the wok into the medium-hot oil to be deep fried
6. When starts to change color to light brown, strain out from hot oil and set aside to drain excess oil from paper towels
7. Before serving, you can dash a lil' white pepper over the tofu pops to enhance the flavor. Also, sprinkle some nori strips or flakes.



Warm, moist inside...crisp and chewy outside...

I was trying to think of a better description - the texture of crisp and chewy. Hmmm....it is almost like mochi... daifuku...the chewy portion...springy (go *toint toint*). Why not you think of a warm crispy mochi-coat of something? You are almost there. And the filling is a familiar taste of savory mix of meat and tofu. That is not too difficult to imagine?

Definitely more finger-friendly than steamed tofu. So you gotta try it! Rock-a-pop-pop! Once you pop, you cannot stop!

Other version:
Wandering Chopsticks Popcorn Tofu.

Tag: , ,,

20 comments:

  1. Er...something wrong with the pics? It's pixelated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu Pops? Sound better than the KFC version of popcorn chicken any day! :)

    P.S. Ditto what pablopabla said... the pics are pixelated. Wrong sizing, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! the tofu snacks look good !! yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. tofu pops i love them!! i always order them whenever im in a chinese resto.;thanks for sharing the recipe.now i can make my own :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the pics are pixelated on Google Reader but on your page, they're clear and look delicious! I would love to try these - they'd be great party apps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First the noodles down there , is something i've been craving for so long now. Its been a while since i was last in HK, and i just cant seem to get them out of my mind. The Tofu balls looks just perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time to hear about Tofu Pops and it looks real good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think i know how yummy this is...thanks for sharing the recipe! i will definitely do this...i want this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh!! Love this tofu! crispy and soft but I didn't know the name is POP!!..Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That deep fried tofu looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks AMAZING!! I think I'll try to make this, heh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tofu pops, what a catchy name! Warm crispy mochi-coated tofu balls sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing..! will definitely try it out.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. pablopabla and kenny, thanks for your note there! I did not know what happened! Overnight, some of my photos (even those a yr ago) got so pixelated! :(
    I think something wrong with the photo-host!?!??!

    I had to make amendments to each problematic post yest. and today! :(

    *eyes and fingers aching*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow ... first time I heard "potato flour" by the way.

    Since I am so unskilled in deep frying (sad to say), I will wait till you open your restaurant here in Singapore and I will give it a try :)

    I don't think I have even tasted anything like what you posted here before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooo. that's cool. they remind me of agedashi, but in balls and without the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks and sounds very interesting... now i am hungry all over. looks nice to be eaten as snacks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fried ones look amazing. I did a slightly different version but i loved the idea of steaming them. They were really good that way too.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mouth watering....great to see this..


    Thanks for sharing...
    ___________________
    Andrew
    Lock in your price today for Your favorite channels - and keep it there until 2010!

    ReplyDelete