Egg Tarts from KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken


I'm not bluffing you! Your eyes are not bluffing you!

A REAL family meal - chicken, and its "eggs" in the form of tarts

Portuguese Egg Tarts from KFC! You think I'm gung-ho enough so free to smuggle Portuguese Egg Tarts from Macau into KFC, place them side-by-side a bucket of fried chicken and take that picture? I must be having too much time to spare and too many heads to roll.

Do they look authentic ?

Well, there you have it. Portuguese egg tarts in Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), Taiwan :D

This egg tart even comes with mochi beneath the egg custard. Can you see it?

KFC, Taiwan offers the classic Portuguese egg tart and other creative tarts such as the one with mochi in it(above). To verify my words, hop over to Taiwan KFC menu and take a look!

And there is a KFC opposite where I am staying :) ....I will go back for egg tarts more so than KFC fried chicken.

So what is there in your country's KFC or Mcdonalds that is really local and only available there? Curious! Curious! I wanna know!

It is not surprising, really. For example, new ideas for McDonalds come anywhere (source: Fortune article, May 2008 issue). You can now have McKroket in The Netherlands, Maharaja Burger in India, Croque McDo in France and a Bulgogi Burger in South Korea. They may make it back to the United States someday, if it makes business sense.

Tag: , , ,

45 comments:

  1. I'll take the tarts anytime.. :) no brownies or muffins for me please.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i jus love tarts....u can keep the chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like tart. When I see one, I have to buy it. hahaha... So, you are now in Taiwan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Napaboaniya said...

    @_@ !!! How nice is KFC serve that here in SG as well :P

    There was a time Macdonald's served chicken congee for breakfast. Verdict = Tasted like those 2mins porridge from the sachet.

    (E Ling, did not know why your comments did not appear here)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we have it at our local KFC. I love egg tarts particularly the ones sold at BreakTalk. Those KFC egg tarts look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of those actually. But it looks delicious.

    Mine is up now. Hit me back if you can.

    http://www.yourvmodel.com/2008/05/wordless-wednesday-no3-hot-as-ever.html

    Happy WW!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no way man..u cheat my feeling..heheh..this is new to me man..

    ReplyDelete
  8. *removes glasses, rubs glasses, put back on*
    *rub eyes*
    *scratch head*

    不是吧!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard that fast food places sometimes tailor their food to the specific location, but I've never seen that around here. Egg tarts? What a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm an avid of KFC. i been trying not to remember it.
    now, i need to run in the kitchen.
    Happy WW.
    & that tart just right for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did hear about some KFC selling portuguese egg tarts, so it's taiwan!

    Lucky you to have one just opposite your house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that's so cool. Does it taste good? If there's KFC opposite my place, I surely will go there everyday. :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. how interesting! haha. pity i don't eat fast food or fried chicken for that matter. it's been years since i had an egg tart too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish they have egg tart at the KFC here. Even the chicken looks good. I bought some the other day and they look like shrunken chicken!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had some Portuguese egg tarts this weekend when I visited my friends in Newark, NJ (otherwise known as Little Portugal). I'm partial to the shortbread crust in Chinese egg tarts but both are equally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, I've never seen these. In Indonesia, you can get perkedels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I meant you can get perkedels at KFC! I'd love to hear what you can get in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy but i don't they look good and healty for me. might not live long if i will satisfy my craving for eggs tarts and especially the fast foods. :) bt my mind says these are all delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i remember seeing it b4..but it got abit lame buying it from KFC instead of goin to the proper shops..

    then again, KFC is serving chicken with rice in malaysia..localising whereever possible?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wah, love the look of the Portugese egg tarts, very yummy looking! I just had chicken rice with meat/fish balls soup at KFC! It came in a set along with 2 pieces of fried chicken and a drink. Not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We don't have anything except the usual :)

    Egg tarts! lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. In Hong Kong, they have taro pies and pineapple pies in addition to the traditional apples ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. !!! Wah eggtarts from KFC!!
    Aw why the ones in SG dont have that in the menu!! :S
    Sounds new to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Urgh. I got a nasty case of food poisoning from some egg custard tarts I had in a KFC in China.
    Probably the worst case of food poisoning I'd ever had (and I've had several cases).
    I do not trust fast food restaurants in China.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It has been served in Hong Kong for years.....

    But nothing interesting served at KFC in Britain tho (where I am now), they don't even have the choice of spicy chicken. How boring!!!

    Lucky you getting the Portuguese egg tart. I miss it so much. (always eat loads when I go back to Hong Kong)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Does "mochi" have a different meaning outside of Japan? In Japan, it's rice pounded into a sort of doughy consistency.

    The same egg tarts can be bought at KFC in Japan and the bottom is a sort of caramelized sugar sauce like you'd find on top of creme brulee. It looks exactly like the stuff you're calling "mochi" here.

    The KFC egg tarts are very good in Japan Pizza Hut sells egg tarts as well, but they're not nearly as nice as KFC's.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool. I didn't know that KFC would sell egg tarts, but it is appropriate.

    I don't usually eat KFC, so I couldn't tell if it has something local...maybe chicken porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In Australia McDonald's has vegemite next to the jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i can't believe there are egg tarts in KFC, of all places! in the philppines, i don't recall any unique philippine desserts ever being sold in kfc. it's mostly brownies and donuts. here in the US, i don't know..ice cream? hahaha! :) i'm not a huge fan of the KFCs here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's not near as cool - but McDonald's here in Nova Scotia (and I think some places like Maine in the US) sell McLobster Sandwiches during lobster season. The Subway restaurants have a lobster sub as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm sorry but I would not be caught DEAD in a KFC!

    Of course, I am a PROFESSIONAL CHEF and a Senior Adviser for the SeriousEats website.

    ReplyDelete
  32. yummy that looks good! that's pretty cool. :D how do they taste! in japan they had a mcpork. :D sounds cute huh.

    ReplyDelete
  33. For KFC, it's still boring "Crispy" or "Original" here. I think they have a chicken wrap which is a relatively recent introduction.

    Not too long ago, McDonald's used to have the Fan-tastic (not a product marketed by Fann Wong but a rice burger). Don't know why they took it off the menu. Must be not very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  34. back in Indonesia, KFC served steamed rice with the chickens and clear soup, Indonesian style, with them too. McD has rice porridge, and fried chicken items. sounds funny eh, but i think that's genius, they really think about the customers.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wah, really ah! Hmm, next time go overseas, but go into KFC or Mcdonalds. I know KFC in Australia used to have "TenderRoast". It's roasted chicken and it taste quite good.

    KFC in Msia and Spore, same same lah. Salad counted as local or not? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  36. KFC Philippines has the Famous Bowl --> mashed potato with their signature gravy, topped with corn and cheese and crunchy fried chicken bits! yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Heart of Rachel, I did not know Breadtalk has egg tarts.

    Mandy, they are not too bad!

    Jittero, so sorry to hear about your food poisoning.

    Shari, I'm not sure abt that. But I think in Taiwan, they mean the same mochi as in Japan?

    ------------------------
    Porridge, rice...whoa! It's so fun to learn about all these. Thanks, folks! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh gosh! i love portugese egg tarts! just like the ones i tried in portugal. WHy does'nt sg sell those in KFC as well. would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Here in Kaifeng (Henan Province, China) our KFCs serve two chicken wraps, one in a "Mexico" flavor and the other in an "Old Beijing". Both are actually not that bad. We also have the Egg Tarts that you show. Actually there are plenty of other odd things which pass through our KFCs from time to time. Most of them are pretty weird. Like the "Shrimp-bean" burger with special mayo sauce. (Way too gross looking to think about trying.)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Im used to the one bite brownies from kfc canada, but too sweet. the china kfc here now has a limited time blueberry egg tart. in fact, my first time eating kfc egg tart and they taste different from the original thing. in fact, its a good difference, its more like blueberry CREME BRULEE!!! in a flakey tart shell. so good, i just bought 6 and ate 2

    ReplyDelete
  41. ohhh i got these egg custards every time i went to the KFC in China. they are the BEST in the world! =D

    ReplyDelete
  42. @Ming the Merciless can you tell me where exactly is the location of the newark KfC because i'm jonsin for an egg tart... email me jscotadesigns@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm from Belgium but a few years ago my dad was living in The Netherlands so I used to have McKroket in the Mcdo ... so good! The kroket is actually a bitterbal (a fried ball filled with meat and sauce) but bigger and planer to fit in a burger.

    Also I did notice that they don't have the simple hamburger in China or Hong Kong ... only the cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete