Grass Jelly, Chin Chow or 仙草 - immortal grass ?


仙草冰 (xian cao bing) - grass jelly served on crushed ice, Taiwan

What has that got to do with Weekend Herb Blogging? You have to check out this week's host at A Scientist in the Kitchen.

Grass Jelly is made from a herb plant known as Mesona Chinensis. Mesona is a genus in the mint family of Lamiaceae. Did you know that? I didn't know that. :O

All this while, I have assumed that grass jelly is some kind of artificial jello, cubed and mixed in water and syrup - consumed as a refreshing drink. Probably, that is part of the deception because in Singapore, grass jelly is typically served like that - cubed/in thin strips, and in a form of a drink known as Chin Chow (hokkien dialect pronunciation) . In Taiwan, this herb can be set as a huge piece of gelatin (picture above) served as grass jelly ~ a cooling dessert. Doesn't this look and sound good on a hot summer day? :D

The end products of this herb are typically tea or grass jelly. In Chinese medicine, this herb is noted for its cooling(yin) properties - helps to reduce "heatiness" in the body and prevent the occurrence of heat stroke. Therefore, 仙草 (literally meaning - immortal grass) is also known as 涼粉草 (literally meaning ~ cooling grass).

How it is made...
The aged and slightly fermented grass or leaves of this mint family (specifically, mesona chinensis) are boiled in a water bath containing potassium carbonate. The resultant mixture is then cooled into a gelatinous consistency.

Color and taste...
Typically black in appearance, some associate this jelly to taste slightly bitter (medicinal?).

Due to similarities in colors and textures, many people tend to confuse grass jelly with another black herbal jelly sometimes known as Tortoise Jelly, 龟苓膏 pronounced Gui Ling Gao. Though both are known to be good for nourishing yin and reducing the "heat" in the body, they are made totally from different components altogether. As recorded in the traditional Chinese books, tortoise jelly is primarily made from Platysternon Megalephalum and Rhizoma Smilacis Glabrae . I'm going to omit the details here since it involves me writing about a non-herb, and neither a plant nor vegetable. Read more about herbal jelly where Black Food is touted to be good.

Tag: , ,

23 comments:

  1. We also use grass jelly in drinks here in the Philippines. I didn't realize it's from a plant, I thought similar to algae. I like taking a bite of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know that this is my sister's favorite...what a great entry for WHB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm yum! I love grass jelly on a hot day. They tend to be called 仙草 in Singapore and 涼粉 in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indonesian called this Cincau (black grass jelly) It is made form the leaves of mesona palutris. Is it similar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grass jelly reminds me of summer. As a child, I loved eating it with crushed ice and kolang kaling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so cool. thanks for the informative insight about grass jelly ~ always learn something new here! I miss the Asian sweet ice desserts....

    btw - I would love to present you with a food blogging award ~ you might have received already with all that you've done; but check out my site for details.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for explaining. I've always thought it's just jelly. Didn't know grass jelly are from herbs.

    I love them ice cold on a hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always known this as "leung fun". Never knew what how it was made. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow I love grass jelly. My hubby said it is interesting taste and look. I never make it myself, rather buy it from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh!! LOve grass jelly(cincau) in soybean as I know in Msia they called MJ(michael jackson)!!.Also beware if you're having period keep away from grass jelly,too cooling,I was advised.My uncle used to make cincau and supply cincau to vendor stall years ago.The process is simply,just need fire,boiling and boiling

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, I'm amazed at this find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. even tho fishy , this tiger ( got ess or not ? ) sure has enough roar to put many wikicooks to shame. We are talking about that tigeressfish.

    Can you pls stand up ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative!

    I love grass jelly. I love jelly of all sorts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Immortal Grass??? I love to drink this on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ewwww..... why look like that want!?

    I prefer mine cubed lah. Been having it quite often, due to the hot weather in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I just have to try grass jelly. It looks and sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this informative post. Looks like I may need some grass jelly to cool off. The weather in Singapore has been hot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. a true herbal and a jelly to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely - I've only seen it sold in London as the canned drink though :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fascinating! It looks just like the lemon balm that is trying to take over our front garden (I suspect they're related)

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. I love grass jelly, but never knew that it came from a herb, let alone realised what the herb looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, another very interesting post from you. Never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wooow I love grass jelly...

    Thanks for sharing..
    ___________________
    Andrew
    HD Access for just $10 a month to your FAVORITE Channels!

    ReplyDelete