Perfect Char Siew Bao or BBQ Pork Buns


Share Any Photo

The locals in Hong Kong enjoy flipping and reading the newspapers especially during dim-sum breakfast and (I guess) as long as they are not rushed over giving up their seats. Maybe that is the only time they can slow down and enjoy their food and tea :)


What I look for in a Perfect Char Siew Bao ~ Cantonese barbecue pork buns:
- served steaming warm...you are at the risk of scalding your hunger-searching fingers when you attempt to touch it
- slightly cracked top in each bun
- soft fluffy "pau" dough, almost sponge cake-like texture
- generous char siew fillings w.r.t the dough (in other words, it cannot be too much dough and nothing inside the "pau" )
- warm moist juicy tasty char siew fillings with right proportions of meat vs "pork fats"
- "pau" fillings should not look too dangerously and artificially red


Luk Yu Tea House

24-26 Stanley Street, Hong Kong
Nearest MTR: Central Station


Other Char Siew- and Bun- related recipes but not Char Siew Bun:
BBQ Pork Pastry ~ 叉烧酥 ~ Char Siew Sou
Braised Pork Belly Bun

Tag: ,

20 comments:

  1. too add, I also love having thos char siew caramel sauce dripping and bursting out when you bit into them! then is a perfect The One!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like the siopao in the Philippines. Made me hungry :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they eat that for breakfast??? Thanks for sharing for I never knew.

    Here in Holland we just eat bread and milk for breakfast. How dull compared to Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing beats a cha siew pao. it is oso my favorite although my expectations r not so high..it gets that way from living in a small town where competition is not very keen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah,looks like siopao :) we also have them here in japan,but i still prefer chowking s siopao!

    ghee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tigerfish. You know, moon years ago, I did try to make that Chai Sui Bun myself including making the bun. Well, nothing like the ones from HK. But it was a rewarding experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I would do anything to have a bite of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess normally restaurant staff won't kick people out in the morning. But they would need to share the table with others, which I guess people normally don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That steamed pork bun looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a pork eater, but I've made these with chicken instead. Really it's the bun that's the best part, not what's inside!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is my fave bao! The more filling, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those honey char siew baos that are moist and juicy when I sink my teeth into them! :P

    p/s: Can't show the bride those comics strips. The groom's my long time buddy. LOL~

    ReplyDelete
  13. "slightly cracked top in each bun"

    That's definitely one of my requirements too... and if it's piping hot, it's nice to see a slight wisp of steam escaping... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want the recipe for the buns.;could you cook one for me ,,heheheh

    would really really appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love LOVE char siew pau! Really craving some now... ugh :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good char siew pau is indeed a wonderful thing. I can eat those all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aarrgh! Cha Siew Pau, my favourite one! Back in Malaysia it was the best food of all but here in Bangkok, you can't get such good pau anymore. Wish i can sink my teeth into that one! Check out mine if you like, a Mothers nature picture.
    http://tangcyee.com/2008/05/12/photo-hunt-any-pics/

    ReplyDelete
  18. The golden puff of siew bao..who can resist? I was at a friend's place yesterday and her mum made some.. we greedily ate it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made me hungry, too - I like BBQ! =) Tho, never ate it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the barbecue pork steamed buns! :) but i don't eat pork anymore. i must be really crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete