Typhoon Shelter Crab, Hong Kong


Typhoon Shelter Crab - 避風塘炒蟹

Fried crab with fried garlic, mixed with scallion, red chili and black beans

The famous dish typhoon shelter-style fried crab (避風塘炒蟹 Bi Feng Tang Chao Xie), is served in a lot of Chinese restaurants in Hong Kong. This dish is believed to be originated from typhoon shelters, invented almost 30 years ago on a sampam.

While Singapore Chilli Crab hails a symbolic gravy, Typhoon Shelter Crab pins it on fried garlic and black bean. The supposedly secret is that the minced garlic will be soaked in black bean sauce overnight and gives the intense flavor when fried with the crabs.

Want more of typhoon shelter crab, you can refer to this review.

The Hee Kee Fried Crab Expert in Wan Chai, Hong Kong, is marketed as the authentic original. However, we had our share at somewhere not as famous, located in Jordon District, Hong Kong.

Jia Duo Li Eatery, Jordan District, Hong Kong. Near and opposite Australian Diary Company

and I'm glad it was not disappointing (or maybe we were famished?!)

Tag: ,

22 comments:

  1. Something like black pepper crabs :P

    Fried garlic soaked in black bean sauce overnite. I'll try that and fry it with a whole fish if I can't get crabs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love chilli crab but have never heard of typhoon shelter crab! Will definitely have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to HK soon! :)

    This is my favourite crab dish in HK! Can't wait to eat my favourite food.
    *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bi Feng Tang Chao Xie or any crabby..Now you make me drooling..too bad when I was in Hk,I didn't have the chance to enjoy this yummy delicious dish

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm...crab!! can't believe I missed it while I was chilling at that street in Hong Kong..arrghh!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. geebuz...that crab dish looks darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmmmmm yum! =P~

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used to eat crabs though I'm allergic to it.
    thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Typhoon Crab is what I read at first, sounds more thunderous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want a plate, please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love crabby...
    Yr pix makes me wanna get my fix on some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That would be quite a recipe to serve up in an emergency situation! That looks delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks absolutely yummy!! there's a resto here that serves something similar. it's called crabs maritess and i love it!

    mine is up too..
    http://scroochchronicles.blogspot.com/2008/05/weekend-snapshot-frustrated-sagala.html
    mine's up too..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Appetizing! I love crabs with fried garlic mix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My hubby just cooked chili crabs last night but this one looks more appetizing because of those fried garlic. It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks delicious

    check out my ws entry here

    ReplyDelete
  18. your photo reminds me of black pepper crab, which I am craving right now!! :)~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've ordered the typhoon shelter crab at a few different places & they all turn out differently. So this is what the original version is suppose to be like?

    ReplyDelete
  20. napaboaniya, smart girl. I think easier to handle fish than crab. Maybe can try with prawns also.
    HAve you tried the Joo Chiat Black Pepper crab? So delicious!

    ECL, you said you coming TW but have not heard your 踪影 yet!

    jason, they were not in season when you were there! :P

    blur mommy, must have fried garlic! That is the key, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. chilli crab is nothing compare to this ok. its like heaven and earth!!!

    ReplyDelete