Wonton noodles - Maks noodles in Hong Kong


Noodling in Noodledom Hong Kong...

Noodling in noodle-dom, taken at Maks Noodles ~ Jardine Bazaar location

In Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Hong Kong), he speaks "...taste, texture and dedication to a century-old craft......resulting in the perfect noodle..." after visiting one of the oldest and most traditional noodle maker of bamboo noodles. I could not agree more. You should watch this episode. I tried searching Youtube using keywords "Anthony Bourdain No Reservations Hong Kong" but it was futile. Thanks to my reader, Vince, for leading me to this video. I did not use the keyword "Sem Reservas" and would not have known!

OUCH! The noodle maker bounces on the bamboo using his body weight to flatten the noodle dough. "Bouncing" is critical and imparts gentle yet firm forces on the dough so that the finished noodles are crisp but not fragile.

Bamboo-noodle art happens at ~ 2min-mark in the video. You MUST watch this! (Courtesy: Youtube contributor)

And of course, some of the the best Wonton Noodles in Hong Kong have just this perfect texture.

Maks Noodles use duck eggs which impart a different flavor to the noodles. This flavor is particularly upped a notch when paired with saltwater shrimp/prawn dumplings.


Wonton
noodles - flavorful broth with top quality wonton skin, wonton fillings and special textured noodles. What could be better. Well, Maks Noodles makes the mark :)

Maks Noodles
44 Jardine Bazzar, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong - Causeway Bay MTR
Other locations (including but not limited)
G/F, 77 Wellington St. Central - Central MTR Exit D1 & D2

Other review on Maks Noodles @ Precious Pea

You can also try Mak Man Kee. However, on our return trip to Mak Man Kee this time, we found the standard has dropped drastically. Beats me.

Tag: ,

36 comments:

  1. I like Wanton Mee especially when the noodles are in those 'QQ' texture :P
    Hard to find hand made wanton mee, mostly factory made now days :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This YouTube video has the segment about the bamboo noodle maker.. starts around the 2 min mark!

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=881n3c2SXX4

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy noodles! i saw that noodle making in amazing race when they went to hk! fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah noodles! Yummy:) Cool Youtube video there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks. i enjoyed the video. especially the noodle making segment

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm oodles and oodles of wonderful noodles! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love noodles. i eat almost everyday :D

    Hope you visit mine too Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that episode a few weeks ago and thought it was fascinating. It's too bad he's one of the last "traditional" noodle makers. I'd love to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so precious, something so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wanton Noodle! haha.... years ago, my UK partners opened their eyes wide wide when I suggested that they try this noodle.

    HK wanton noodles are the best! Miss them....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel hungry to see that noodles..Happy WS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am drooling just by looking at those yummy noodles! Send me a bowl! :p

    Thanks for your comments on photo-corners.blogspot.com, I really appreciate it. Sorry it took me awhile to return the visit. Have a great week ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks yummy, nice one for WS! mine's up too hope you can drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wah wah wah..the beef brisket does bring back good 'ol Hong Kong memories man..heheh..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Wanton noodles but I've never tried the authentic one in Hong Kong. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow ... that's an interesting way to make noodles! but they do look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of that looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm never get bored with noodles, its my fav food otherthan rice :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. your food photos never cease to make me hungry, sheez*

    I swear these made me hungry right now :(

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Makes me wanna eat noodles right now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. duck eggs?! mmm..i really want to try this!
    also, the size of that dumpling is immense. i really would like to eat everything off this page now.x

    ReplyDelete
  22. your entries never fail to make me drool... :)

    have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice time you go noodle hopping bring me with you..:-) yummy

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is one of my all time favorite comfort foods -- wonton noodle soup. I also like the dry version with roast pork and scallions (wonton and soup on the side).

    ReplyDelete
  25. wonton noodle..hmmm yummy :)

    check it out mine too here

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw that show and it is probably my favorite by far. I was drooling the whole time!

    I just ate a hamburger and a half a hot dog for lunch (no I'm not a pig; we had a party at work) but if you put a bowl of noodles in front of me, I would probably eat that too! Okay, maybe I am a pig :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. we din know this humble thing has so many inner secrets. we thought its just another lowly me(e). next time we must think of fish too

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm craving for wonton now,
    Maybe it's a good time to make wonton during memorial day weekend!
    Or should I save the time for Zzzzzz?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aiyo, I should never come here two hours before lunch. Now my tummy grumbling already. How to wait so long... *DROOOOLLLLSSS*

    ReplyDelete
  30. How you can go in and out of Hong Kong so much? Can you take me with you?

    ReplyDelete
  31. every time i drop by you always make me hungry, haha! to think we just had wonton soup last weekend. anyway, i saw that noodle-making with the bamboo thingy somewhere before. galing no? napaka-authentic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. yummy noodles...we just had one last night with some pork buns..but these noodles look more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wanna go home..!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. thanks for very interesting post. I have done a blog on Mak's as well...

    http://shiokhochiak.blogspot.com/2008/12/maks-noodles-worlds-best-wanton-noodles.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is very good comment you shared.Thank you so much that for you shared those things with us.Im wishing you to carry on with ur achivments.All the best.

    ReplyDelete