Getting tender beef + beef and onion secret affair

Choosing the right cut of beef for the intended cooking method. That will make your beef tender. Some cuts of beef benefit from slow cooking methods such as stewing, braising VS other cuts that are more suitable for grilling. I do not go to a specialty butcher to intentionally select meat, specifically the right cuts of it. I buy my "cuts" - sirloin, flank or simply...stew cubes (not knowing which part or cut)...from whatever I see, available in the supermarkets/grocery produce stores.



If I choose a flank for that day and plan to do a dish such as Stir Fry Black Pepper Beef or rather Black Pepper Basil Beef, the FIRST thing I will remember in my beef preparation is to SLICE AGAINST THE GRAINS LINES of the beef. This has ever since (forgotten when!) gone embedded into my head. SLICE AGAINST THE GRAINS LINES to get yourself a better(easier) chew of the beef (in short, tender beef) when cooked. Unless you are chewing on beef jerky...when it does not really matter or in fact, the only time you want your beef to sustain the chewing action of your dynamic teeth for the longest time ?

Beef and onion do have a secret affair and it's not as simple as combining them in a dish like this.

What do you do to get your beef tender?

To be continued...


Tag: ,

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful pic of the onion being sliced... kinda reinforced your advice on the beef later.... SLICE AGAINST THE GRAIN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great subject! Something near and dear to my heart :-)

    My favorite beef for stir-frying is chuck steak. It's well marbled and has a substantial beef flavor. To keep the beef tender I may "marinate" it in cornstarch and Chinese cooking wine for about 5 or 10 minutes, if it's appropriate for the recipe. Another trick is to pound it with a mallet to get the fibers to break down a little. Slicing against the grain is a must! And using a super hot wok and being quick when stir-frying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm vegetarian, so I don't know anything about beef...but I do know about onions. As with garlic, more is always better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, its true, the positioning is crucial for the complete enjoyment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use cornflour. Or ready bought seasoning which has tenderiser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe. sounds similar. i never care abt the 'cuts' either. to me its either in steak shape or cubes. back in msia, it'l be daging batang pinang. not sure if u kno wht tht is tho. lol. my mom also taught me abt cutting the meat against the line. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I choose flank mainly because the lines are consistant towards one direction. All I need is to cut against the line and the meat is very tender.

    Just that flank is very expensive in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flank, in our neck of the woods, for stir-fries since it usually is much cheaper. Sliced across the grain.

    We've also used sirloin in stirfries with varying success vis a vis tenderness. The key is not to overcook the beef.

    Velvetting (sp?) the pieces in shaoxing wine-cornstarch mixture is also a technique, as well as getting the oil hot enough to cook the outside to a crisp. Unfortunately, we're always too lazy to do the hot-oil-frying part. =)

    In all, we are just content with slightly chewier beef. Family does not like seeing "blood" in the beef so beef in stirfries is always cooked beyond done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. honesty I have no idea which parts of beef is good for what cooking..I always screw up when I cook for hubby,I can't eat beef.hubby always complain the beef is like rubber!!lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. depending on what i'm cooking, i boil my beef to make it tender. hee hee...for hours! i don't have a pressure cooker. and i don't really like to use one anyway. :D

    Banana Caramel Crepe
    Petronas Twin Towers

    ReplyDelete
  11. "What do you do to get your beef tender?"

    You have done a pretty good job of answering your own question.

    As a native Texan who has been eating (and who has personally raised beef cattle), I can assure you that one MUST start the meal planning by selecting the correct cut, the correct grading, and the correct aging for his or her desired outcome.

    Volumes have been written about proper cooking methods, and most beef lovers have their own preferences.

    I use a lot of "flatiron" steak cuts. The cut (which is physically located close to the animal's heart) has a VERY strong beefy taste, that we prefer.

    When cooked rare to medium rare (NEVER more than medium rare!) and sliced thinly across the grain . . . the taste is hard to beat, for a true beef aficionado.

    Interesting post.

    DocChuck

    ReplyDelete
  12. i eat it raw as in yuk hoe( sliced raw beef seasoned with sesame oil, pine nuts, strips of pear etc). tasty and tender. sort of like beef tartare?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cutting against the grain with all cuts of beef is so important -- otherwise it tastes like shoe laces!

    ReplyDelete