A Healthy Cooking event taking place at Fun and Food and I wanted to use it as a platform to reinforce a message about being Healthy AND Nutritious.
I am not saying salads are not good. In fact, most, if not all salads are healthy when we are careful with the dressing. However, you can make your salads more nutritious. Now ask: consuming raw vegetables...is that the best way to take in nutrients? Think harder.Cucumbers! Tomatoes! Carrots! Note: Healthy and Nutritious delivers different messages. Eating your vegetables raw can be healthy but may not be as nutritious as you think.
Heat destroys the vitamins! Yes. True. Overcooking of vegetables is not good. Heat destroys the vitamins! But. Partially.
Some vitamins such as carotene (in carrots) and lycopene (in tomatoes) are FAT-soluble vitamins. SO....LISTEN...HARD....boiling/steaming carrots (just carrots) in water is less nutritious than stir-frying carrots in a lightly oiled pan. In the latter, the oil helps to release the benefits of carotene and lycopene in the carrots and tomatoes respectively. The method of cooking you choose can maximize the nutrition you are extracting from the vegetables.
Stir Fry Celery and Carrots
Ingredients: Extra Virgin Olive Oil; Ginger(minced or crushed); Celery(shredded); Carrots(shredded); Dried herbs (optional)
Directions:
1. In a lightly oiled pan, saute ginger till fragrant
2. Add in carrots and celery and saute till they start to turn tender. Remember, do not overcook.
3. Add in some dried herbs (basil or oregano) if you wish
4. Serve immediately
Are you convinced ? I hope this little information is useful to you.

Tag: vitamins, cooking tips
Ah your shredded veg salad looks so nice! Glad to hear that lightly cooking vegs could be healthier than eating it raw ... they certainly taste better! ;)
ReplyDeleteVery useful information indeed! Your stir fry vege look like a piece of fine craft.
ReplyDeleteThat's good to know as I like to cook my carrot!
ReplyDeletelovely. love the colours and so refreshing!
ReplyDeleteI definitely prefer lightly cooked veggies so that's good to hear! Yours look beautiful.
ReplyDeletethanks for explaining the details that people almost always miss! colorful platter is definitely healthy most of the times:) thanks for participating T!:)
ReplyDeleteYou didn't need to convince me! ;D
ReplyDeleteYour presentation is so pretty.
Such a lovely presentation!
ReplyDelete@_@ That looks like something coming out from the kitchen of a restaurant!! If I can decorate my food like that, maybe I can get my kids to eat more vegetables!!
ReplyDeleteYou're good leh!!!
Oh! I guess this is where partial knowledge is dangerous. I have read about cooked tomatoes having more nutrition content than raw ones, but I didn't realize it was through cooking with oil. I usually leave mine in ABC soup. :P
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip!
i love the presentation!
ReplyDeletethat looks so good.. i might not want to it if its that beautiful... nah.. ill eat it anyway... mine is up too!
ReplyDeleteBring it on!
ReplyDeleteMy kids will eat their veggies if I present it to them beautifully like you did. Where got time?
ReplyDeletea healthy dish is always appreciated! I really like the way carrots seem to brighten up any dish they are put into.
ReplyDeleteahhh... fell in love with celery and carrots because of your picture!
ReplyDeletegood thing they're healthy!
not only is it healthy, but the presentation is superb --- a work of art!
ReplyDeletehi, I was always under the impression that boiling veggies is the healthiest way to eat them! Stir fry in oil is something i rarely do, esply with carrots. Will henceforth follow this. Your presentation is so beautiful..
ReplyDeleteyummmmmmmmmmy :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a masterpiece of carrots, tomatoes and celery.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous picture tigerfish :) That must've taken a lot of folding and delicate handling!
ReplyDeleteYer so artistic..!! i couldn't eat such beautiful food.. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is possibly the simplest and most delicious dish imaginable. I grew up on it, in various varieties. Beef with carrots and celery, chicken with carrots and celery, etc...
ReplyDeleteAwesome presentation and gorgeous plate. Is that your wedding china?
ReplyDeleteI love raw food like these but I also need some protein, ie. MEAT!
Looks so fresh and crunchy!
ReplyDeleteVery true. That's why I roasted my veggies first to make my roasted tomato, onion and pepper gazpacho.
ReplyDeleteHow do you shred your celery?