Japanese set - Oyako Don, Burdock Root and Miso Soup


Do you know how/why Oyako Don is thus named ?

Oya- means parent.
ko- means child.
Oyako- ...a single word for parent-and-child.
Don, a short from of Donburi meaning a big bowl with lots of rice on the bottom and other food on top.


In Chinese, we call it 亲子丼 (QinZi Don). 鸡肉&鸡蛋=亲子...yes...parent-and-child will be equivalent to the chicken and the eggs respectively. If you are served grilled salmon with salmon roes on top of the rice, it qualifies as Oyako Don too!

See that little side dish ? It is burdock root. This is a common Japanese appetizer. For more on burdock root, check it out here.

Tag: ,

19 comments:

  1. I haven't made this in forever...thanks for remind me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. i love eating this!

    i like the other kind of pickles too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I learnt something new hee ... I love all kinds of Japanese food :)~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for two actually whenever I order dish of the same type from Teriyaki Boy here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. Thanks for the new words and the beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sipping that miso soup sounds great just about now ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm...yummy :D

    thanks drop at my ws post

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh boy...i still not eat lunch...makes me hungry

    I hope you visit mine also :D Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. *yum*

    I love those food :)

    Hope you can drop by my place:
    http://emmyrose1028.blogspot.com/2008/07/weekend-snapshot-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks yummy.... mine's up too hope you can drop by... Have a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing some info...looks like a great meal there...wish i could try some!hehehe! mine's up too at this link!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting name. I wonder why they named this dish parent n child bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it! yum yum..
    happy monday!
    http://biancaelyse-mylife.blogspot.com/2008/07/weekend-snapshot-at-granby-zoo.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. i was planning to cook this last weekend but i used all my eggs for baking LOL, gosh your oyakodon looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo ... I like this blog. Very educational. Next time I go dinner with friends at a Japanese restaurant, I can go something like ...

    "Did you know what Oya means ..."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the name! HAHAHA So basically, we're destroying the whole family eating this don. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oyakodon is one of my favorites. It is simple to make and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried eating Oyako Don before but this is the first time I learned the meaning behind the words. Thanks for this interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete