Taiwan street food - turkey rice, 火鸡肉饭


A famous street food of 嘉义( Jiayi, Taiwan): 火鸡肉饭, which is Turkey Rice. I don't think it is unfamiliar or strange to you. Some of you make this dish (from the leftovers of a roasted turkey) after Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Hahahhaha....

In Taiwan, it's available all year round.


But I prefer chicken rice anytime! And I've painfully reminded myself of Hainanese Chicken Rice back in Singapore.

Is it a widely-accepted fact...when you talk about "where to look for good food"? In Taiwan, you can try finding good (and cheap) eats near the temples (庙 口小吃), major universities, or some of the old historic streets (老街) . In night markets too, you will find yummy snacks and food.

Tag: , ,

27 comments:

  1. That dish is sometimes better than the meal from which it is derived! We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...makes me hungry :D I still not have lunch and i see this...LOL

    Mine in here Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice but not for me! :) Happy WW-T!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good to me and I'm sure I'd love chicken rice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love hainanese chicken rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i prefer chicken rice. i will cook it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's chicken-rice for me, hands-down :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would prefer the Hainanese Chicken rice too! BTW, curious, what is that yellow thing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my turkey rice?.I didn't know Taiwanese like Turkey rice.of course we asian prefer chicken rice than tasteless turkey rice.talking about Hainese chicken rice make me drooling now!1hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know Chinese people ate turkey much! I don't think we've ever eaten turkey when I was growing up (that I remember). You learn something new everyday...

    (But perhaps I'll like the chicken version better, hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. simple, but still looks good! i didn't know they had turkey in taiwan though..

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonder what that yellow thingy is ... some kind of pickled vegetable/fruit? give me hainanese chicken rice anytime, too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! I swear if I ever move to Taiwan, I won't be cooking at all!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. @_@ I'm sure it tastes good, but I can't help being reminded of my dog's food bowl! *No pun intended* :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious. Happy WW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. this awesome, we seldom use turkey in our chinese cooking here in Kayel! yours look simple and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll just have the plain white rice please :) Oh and that yellow thing for my chicken friend ;)Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two of my faves together!
    happy ww!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks yummy!!!

    happy ww

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you posted on Shihlin night market before?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't try this when I was in Taiwan. Looks bland.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to try turkey rice. It's suppose to be much much much healthier than chicken right?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE Tawainnese street food! I was there twice to visit friends when I was living in japan, and I miss it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks like a healthy combination. I don't get to eat turkey that often but I'm fond of eating chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm... maybe you could make some normal chicken rice if you can't have the Hainanese Chinese Rice? My friend told me that all you need to do is to cook the rice with some chicken stock and add the raw chicken pieces when the rice is at the stage getting cooked. It tasted really good!

    ReplyDelete