As this dessert is typically serve warm and due to the presence of "wine" from sweet ferment rice - 酒酿; it is indeed a timely dessert soup for winter.
The first time I tried this dessert was many years ago in Singapore. Yes, at a mom-and-pop Shanghai restaurant by the name of Pudong Kitchen in Balmoral Plaza (I wonder if it is still there).
So when my friend made this some time ago, it was not unfamiliar to me. I got reconnected to this long-lost dessert which might be an acquired taste for some (due to the taste of fermented rice). I confess I could not really adapt to this "strange" dessert at my first but have got used to it now.
This sweet ferment rice (fermented glutinous rice) - 酒酿 is Chinese yeast fermented glutinous rice or glutinous rice wine. It is low in alcohol content and tastes sweet, with a subtle wine aroma.

Basically, make and boil tiny glutinous rice balls or dumplings. Then add the sweet ferment rice into the gently simmering water. Add gojiberries - 枸杞子 for some sweet overtone, or Osmanthus - 桂花 for aroma.
The sweet dessert soup is shared with Souper Sunday at Kahakai Kitchen and My Meatless Mondays.
Have you tried similar? New to fermented glutinous rice?
Tag: glutinous rice, glutinous rice dumplings, dessert soup
An Escape to Food on Facebook
hi, u know where to get 酒酿in Singapore??
ReplyDeleteI am not so sure as I am not living in Singapore.
ReplyDelete