Dried Krill
The krill 磷虾 used here is different from those 虾米 typically used in Singapore. Krill, also known as okiami in Japan, a type of plankton, is even smaller than dried shrimp 虾米 that is often considered a type of crustacean.
It is not even easy to find good-quality krill (those with no coloring or preservatives added) in the Japanese supermarkets. I could not find them in Nijiya and only had better luck in Mitsuwa. One tiny pack does not come cheap @ $3.50 but I do not mind paying a little more for good quality ingredients; and especially when it is a natural "flavoring" ingredient that I most often can use in stir-fries and quick-cooking soups/stews, in replacement of other seasoning sauces such as oyster sauce.
Dried baby shrimps (sakura ebi) from Japanese supermarket
Sometimes, I also get dried baby shrimps (sakura ebi) 虾皮 from the Japanese supermarket when I cannot find krill. Well, they look almost similar - just bigger and redder than krill; however less "meaty" and smaller than dried shrimps 虾米.
Have you ever used dried krill in cooking?
I think dried krill is most often sold as "fish food"!!!
Tag: krill, dried shrimps
An Escape to Food on Facebook
No comments:
Post a Comment